Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/14/2011 4:59:32 PM EST
Twice a year my Boy Scouts honorably and properly dispose of used and worn American flags. Next month at our campout we will be retiring flags, so if anyone has any that need to be properly taken care of you can send them to me. IM or Email me for my address if needed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 8:16:16 AM EST
You only properly dispose of big flags right? Small ones (for vehicles or windows) are okay to just discard?
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 10:24:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By cav12389:
You only properly dispose of big flags right? Small ones (for vehicles or windows) are okay to just discard?

Personally, I treat all American flags with the same respect and so yes, I will retire even the little ones (I have picked up a lot of them from the side of the road). Technically, no - you do not need to retire the little flags. They have a specific term for it but I can't think of it right now, something like "souvenir" or some similar word.

It's up to you. I have never been comfortable throwing an American flag in the garbage.

Link Posted: 2/15/2011 11:24:50 AM EST
I have three 2.5'x4' worn out flags that need to be retired.
They've been sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting for me to get around to it.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 11:27:37 AM EST
Same here... bunch of small ones. I googled it, everyone has an opinion but I figured they should get retired the right way
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 4:57:41 PM EST
PM Inbound.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 3:31:45 PM EST
If anyone is interested in having the Boy Scouts retire their flags, we will be doing it this Friday night.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:24:23 PM EST
Five flags inbound. Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:37:48 PM EST
Thank you to everyone who sent me flags, we retired them last night with the utmost respect and honor. Pics and short report HERE.
Top Top