Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2013 7:29:07 AM EDT
The fight is here.

To find out who your State Representative is and obtain their contact information, go to:

Find your rep
House Judicial Committee
Appropriations committee
Contact Gov. Martinez/urge her to veto this bill.

Feel free to copy this if you like:  
Governor Martinez
As your constituent, I urge you to oppose HB77 in any form. This bill works directly against the second amendment rights of all law abiding New Mexicans. Rights you have defended admirably in the past.

Respectfully,

HB 77 restricts ALL private transfers of firearms – not just those taking place at gun shows – including those between family members, friends and co-workers. Any person who is not a federal firearms licensed dealer (FFL) would have to contact the New Mexico Department of Public Safety prior to transferring any firearm to any prospective purchaser, provide the department detailed information on the firearm being sold and the person to whom the firearm is being transferred, and get approval from the department before the transfer is completed. This includes transfers between relatives, friends and co-workers. In order to accomplish this, the bill sets up a state-level criminal records check system, which will be paid for by lawful gun buyers.

HB 77 establishes a $25.00 fee on private gun transfers – $35.00 if the transaction occurs at a gun show – amounting to a tax on gun purchases. Lawful gun buyers shouldn’t be forced to pay for a system that’s being created under the guise of public safety – all taxpayers should bear the brunt of this cost. The FBI-run National Instant Check System which FFLs use imposes no "user fee" on prospective gun buyers.

HB 77 creates a state registry of legal firearms transferees and purchasers. Private sellers would be required to provide the department the name, address, and telephone number of the purchaser; the make, model, caliber, and serial number of the firearm being transferred; and the name, date of birth, race, sex and address of the buyer. DPS is required to retain a record of this information for five years. Under NICS, FBI is required to destroy all records of approved purchasers by the next business day.

HB 77 imposes record keeping requirements on private sellers, requiring them to maintain records of approved transfers for five years, and it contains no privacy protections to prevent (or detect) a person using the system to run a background check on someone for purposes other than a gun purchase.

The measure has been referred to two committees - House Judiciary and House Appropriations, and it could soon be set for a public hearing in the first committee. Please check back here for updates on scheduled action on this measure. In the meantime, it is critical that you contact committee members, as well as your own State Representatives, and urge them to OPPOSE HB 77!
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Has Gov. Martinez said anything about this bill? Sign or Veto?    need to flood her with a Veto Fire Mission
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for pointing that out. My mind is racing trying to organize an easy way for lots of people to contact these committee members with one or two clicks. I don't have the tech to do it though. Can someone here make something like Ruger is using. A mass emailer that a person could fill out and send easily. I'll help in any way I can. I just don't know how to do it. In the meantime, I'm contacting the folks one at a time.

Focusing on Governor Martinez is probably our best bet anyway.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions or skills to offer in making it easier for people to hit these emails. Offer them up.

Like it or not, most won't take the time to work through this. We need VOLUMES of emails going.
Phone calls
Letters
Participate in the Capital Demonstration on Saturday
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Every one in my department will hear about this TODAY!  Fascist bastards in the round house are gonna hear from me personally.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Every one in my department will hear about this TODAY!  Fascist bastards in the round house are gonna hear from me personally.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Email the governor ASAP. I email her yesterday to encourage her to protect our rights. This is Bullshit and we will not stand for this. Keep sending those letters to our representatives. Remember Saturday is firearms appreciation day. Remember keep it peaceful gents.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
spreading the word!
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link to the bill....

HB77

PDF HB77

Good find seca40

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Link to the bill....

HB77

PDF HB77

Good find seca40

Thanks but I'll give the credit where it's due.
The New Mexico Gun Owners Association put it on my Facebook page this morning.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the latest update from the gun grabber douche bags.    I will be writing more letters!
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Sent one to the governor and one to my rep. Just moved to Los Alamos last month. Looked up my rep Stephanie Garcia Richard she is new and is a school teacher. Have a feeling my email fell on deaf ears with her. We will see.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Done contacted both my reps for my parents and myself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it Michele Lujan Grisham who represents Albuquerque? If so, she's the biggest gun grabber out there. This is sad time for gun owners. All we can do tell them how we feel. Also let them know if they spit in the face of our constitutional rights, we'll vote them out the first chance we get. I for one am sick of these gun grabbers stirring up fear with their lies and deception. We need to let them know!
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Let's keep it up, and let our voices be heard. It only takes a couple minutes a day to let your voice be heard. Write your representatives daily.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#14]
reps contacted

Dont understand, how we can have a Repulican Gov but the Dems have the majority in the house and sen.

Dam I wish this state would go RED

I believe it has something to do with Last Name/color/ Heritage Recognition, majority of the people in this country vote like that, and not on actual issues
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe this is that idiot's email address "[email protected]" <[email protected]>;. let him know how you feel
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Ill email, the stupid fuck, what a dumb ass piece of shit

I wonder if the illegals will have to register their weapons?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#17]
NM has always had a bunch of douche bag liberals in charge of both houses.
We get a Republican governor every few terms when some of the population wakes up but they always elect a Democrat house and senate.
Gary Johnson had them shitting the bed every time they sent up a bill.
Let's hope Suzanna Martinez has as big a set of balls.

Emails sent.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got this reply!

"Emily Kane [email protected] via mycampus.apus.edu
2:28 PM (0 minutes ago)

to keenan
Thank you for you comments and concerns. I appreciate your input on this important issue. I have sworn to uphold the State and Federal Constitution and will support the Second Ammendment.
Rep Kane"
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#19]
GOOD.
Keep the pressure ON.
Call, email, and write ALL the state reps, and encourage friends/ family as well.
We can stop the hysterical gun  grabbers..
. Thank you for your CONTINUED efforts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Has this made any progress or is it dead in committee?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top