Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/16/2011 10:51:24 PM EST
Renting out rooms ...

I'm in a position, where I will probably need to rent out a room or two.

I've never been in this situation before. So it is all new ground for me.

What obligations would I have?
What are "standard" rules for the renters? Is there a "generic" form, available at office max, or similar?
How do you determine whether to rent + utilities vs flat rate?
What's the process for screening applicants?

Thanks

BTW it's Very East Mesa.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:07:47 AM EST
Never done it, but if I were to I would be very very careful in my screening process of who lives in the same house as me.

Also, I would rent a fixed price and a % of utilities, so there is incentive to not waste them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:50:35 AM EST
This is your new bathroom reading: LINK

The landlord tenant act has all the requirements and obligations that you are liable for (beyond criminal law obligations that govern the rest of society, of course). Whenever I get people calling and asking about tenant issues, this is where I point them. If you can't answer it from this website, they have phone numbers listed where you can call with questions.

There are a lot of specific rules about this sort of thing, please be informed before you decide to do it so you can save yourself a headache down the line.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:34:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/17/2011 10:37:21 AM EST by DarkStarMedia]
doubletap
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:36:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/17/2011 10:37:10 AM EST by DarkStarMedia]

I highly recommend a standard background/credit check for each applicant. there are services that can do this for you and the cost is reasonable. And be sure you get a good security deposit and document room condition with many digital photos. If they move out and you take all/part of the security deposit they will fight you.

Richard

Top Top