Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 9:39:08 PM EDT
Looking for employers to target with resumes in the Northern Kentucky area.  Which are good for those with a 4-year degree?  Any leads are much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
In what field.

Thanks
Coppercollarworker
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:15:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Accounting or Finance.  I have a dual degree in Technical Management and Accounting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#3]
don't know any in northern ky, but if you are interested in central ky, thats a different story.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been looking at NKU and UK for graduate school.  So, I'm undecided about which is the best course of action.  I have family in northern Kentucky and UK is about 70 miles from there.  Either one would work for me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Toyota,or any of the suppliers for Toyota(Wintech,Wabasto, Toyota Tusho,Topy Wheel,Ohi,ect...)all in the Central KY area around Georgetown.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!  I didn't know all the suppliers names.  Toyota doesn't have any openings per their web site.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I would probably recommend UK grad school ( course I got my MPA there in 04)

I know guys that work at TOPY (on the floor) and its a good place to work in Frankfort.

UPS, Coca cola, pepsi, amazon, all sorts of companies located in lexy.

I would suggest Lexmark but I understand they are on the downswing personnel wise.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Louisville is 75 miles from UK. You can find something that will pay you what you are worth.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My Dad is from Louisville, actually.  I'm not planning on going that direction.  My family lives in Independence now.  I'm not at all interested in working across the river in Cincy -- for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks!  I didn't know all the suppliers names.  Toyota doesn't have any openings per their web site.

You might want to look at the contracting companies to see what openings they have.  A lot of people that I have worked with have used them to get their foot in the door at places like Lexmark, IBM, and Toyota.  It's much easier to get into to those places as a contractor first.

Also keep an eye on state government openings.  personnel.ky.gov/personnel/downloads/vacclas.htm  The hours and benefits cannot be beat...of course you will have settle for a little less pay...but the state pension more than makes up for it.  In Kentucky you can retire with 27 years of service and have the option to buy 5 years of service after working 15 years.  That means you can actually retire in 22 years.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I located the employee counts by employer for KY and was surprised to see that over 15,000 people are employed by the state and other affiliated agencies.  I like the idea of being able to buy 5 more years after 15 of service.  That is a great perk -- better than buying more weeks of vacation!  I'll look into a little further.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:55:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might want to look at the contracting companies to see what openings they have.  A lot of people that I have worked with have used them to get their foot in the door at places like Lexmark, IBM, and Toyota.  It's much easier to get into to those places as a contractor first.

Also keep an eye on state government openings.  personnel.ky.gov/personnel/downloads/vacclas.htm  The hours and benefits cannot be beat...of course you will have settle for a little less pay...but the state pension more than makes up for it.  In Kentucky you can retire with 27 years of service and have the option to buy 5 years of service after working 15 years.  That means you can actually retire in 22 years.

That 22 can be around 20 if you save up your sick leave to count as the odd 2 years from what I understand. Many people are retiring at 22 years and moving on to second careers. Wish I coulda done it (that would have left about 3-4 to go) but its too late to change now.  Imagine being 44 and being retired

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I located the employee counts by employer for KY and was surprised to see that over 15,000 people are employed by the state and other affiliated agencies.  I like the idea of being able to buy 5 more years after 15 of service.  That is a great perk -- better than buying more weeks of vacation!  I'll look into a little further.

If you are interesed in working for the state and have any questions let me know. I'm an auditor for the Dept of Revenue. I'm kind of new but I will answer what I can.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Really?  I was noticing the opening for an Auditor-in-Training.  I've been looking at Auditing (the reason for going to grad school and earning the CPA).  I'm very interested in the field.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That 22 can be around 20 if you save up your sick leave to count as the odd 2 years from what I understand. Many people are retiring at 22 years and moving on to second careers. Wish I coulda done it (that would have left about 3-4 to go) but its too late to change now.  Imagine being 44 and being retired

Yeah, any accumulated sick time can be added to your length of service.  Although I've heard it adds only months not years.  Also any extra vacation time accumulated over the carry over amount gets transitioned into sick time, which can then be used for length of service.

If I can stay on track I'll have my 22 years in and the additional 5 years bought by the time I'm 48.  I would definately be able to switch to a second career and could still get almsot 20 years in before I reached the government retirement age of 67.  I would also have 10 1/2 years before I reached age 59 1/2 and could withdraw from my 401k or IRA.  But being a government employee has another benefit in that I can also put money into their 457 plan which I can withdraw from at anytime after retiring regardless of age.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#16]
For financial\accounting, Fidelity Investments one of the biggest (and probably the best) in N. KY.  

Toyota is a great company but they run lean. My wife works there as a contractor for their IT dept. When she was hired she was told the chance of being hired on as a full Toyota employee is pretty slim. That said, there was a rumor floating around there (and you know how rumors go) that they are planning on adding a large number of positions this year (~250) but no word as to what type of positions they will be?

Also keep in mind that on the other side of the river from N. KY is downtown Cincinnati. There are a number of large companies there, biggest being P&G. I work downtown and the parking kind of sucks but other then that, it's not that bad. I work 7am-ish to 4pm-ish to avoid the majority of the traffic. I'm in the IT field and I can tell you that decent IT jobs this side of the river are far and few between (even before the IT market crashed in 2000). Hopefully for you, the accounting\finance job market is different?

I don't know how opposed you are to going over the river but keep in mind the UC (and I believe Xavier) offer N.KY resident "in-state" rates. I don't know how their grad schools measure up against NKU or UK but it's another option.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I was there last spring and took an assignment in Blue Ash...traffic was a complete joke.  For my own sanity, I'm not crossing the river in rush hour. :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:22:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I was there last spring and took an assignment in Blue Ash...traffic was a complete joke.  For my own sanity, I'm not crossing the river in rush hour. :)

Well Blue Ash, and the Mason area for that matter, is a whole other subject. Both those areas get some really mad, crazy traffic. I wouldn't go that far north either if I could avoid it but downtown, especially if you can come in early, is not bad at all. Paying for parking is probably the worst part.

Don't get me wrong, if you can find a position at a N.KY company great, that would be my first choice too but I'm just saying don't limit yourself just because of traffic.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I got my application in the mail for NKU yesterday.   I am surprised their programs are just as nice as UK's.  Assistantships and fellowships are also available.  GMAT + TOEFL testing required for entrance.  I have to get signed up and prepped for those as well.

So, it looks like N. Ky may be a good place to start.  It also puts me closer to my relatives.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Grab the Sunday edition of the Lex Herald Leader,tons of jobs there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I got my application in the mail for NKU yesterday.   I am surprised their programs are just as nice as UK's.  Assistantships and fellowships are also available.  GMAT + TOEFL testing required for entrance.  I have to get signed up and prepped for those as well.

So, it looks like N. Ky may be a good place to start.  It also puts me closer to my relatives.

I live in Covington, I have had several friends get there undergrad and grad degrees from NKU.  That was several years from now.  What I have heard (and seen) the campus and course offerings have simply exploded.

If you are looking to buy a house in Covington, let me know, I am selling.

You might also want to look into 5/3 and some of the the telecom companies.  They are large employers here as well.

I 2nd the advice on not limiting yourself to the south side of the River (for work).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top