Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/4/2006 11:44:50 AM EDT
Does anyone know of a shop in the DFW area that has a good stock/variety of reloading equipment and supplies?

FYI, Gunmaster & Bullet Trap in Plano don't have squat.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:33:15 PM EDT
Sportsman's Warehouse and/or Cabelas
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:50:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 12:51:11 PM EDT by hrt4me]
For what are you looking? In addition to Sportsman's Warehouse in Lewisville and Cabelas in north Fort Worth, you could try Doc's Gun Shop in Farmer's Branch, or Barber Boats on Harry Hines in Dallas. Or the gun show this weekend...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:27:58 PM EDT
I got a Lee Hand Press for Christmas so I'm looking for all the other crap I need. Got my 458 SOCOM dies from CH today.

I'm tied up all weekend so I can't make the fun show. Eh, I guess I'll just order a bunch o' shit online.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:51:38 PM EDT
Hand Press?!?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:55:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hrt4me:
For what are you looking? In addition to Sportsman's Warehouse in Lewisville and Cabelas in north Fort Worth, you could try Doc's Gun Shop in Farmer's Branch, or Barber Boats on Harry Hines in Dallas. Or the gun show this weekend...

Barber's Boats is no longer there. I went by a couple of weeks ago and saw that the building was vacant.

mm
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:42:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 6:43:35 PM EDT by bigsapper]

Originally Posted By hrt4me:
Hand Press?!?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:35:01 AM EDT
I hate to be the one who tells you, but, you probably cannot size SOCOM brass with a hand press, unless you are a bodybuilder.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:31:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 6:32:03 AM EDT by bigsapper]
Oh, now you tell me.

So do I start working out or by a full-size press?

ETA: What kind of rounds would be acceptable to reload with in the Lee Hand Press?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:35:14 AM EDT
I've loaded a few hundred .458 Socom rounds, both 350g JHP and 500g RN

My advice would be to use a full size press mounted on a sturdy bench. Also make sure you setup the dies correctly so you are using the full stroke of the press so you can get maximum leverage.

Be sure to lube the catridge well before resizing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:30:55 AM EDT
Pistol ammo should not be a problem....carbide dies help too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:57:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 9:57:52 AM EDT by bigsapper]
Well, I guess this is another aborted attempt in my 3 year quest to begin reloading.

For me, it's primarily an issue of desire. And to a lesser extent cost/expense.

I mostly shoot .45 and it's just not cost effective for me to reload that round based on what it can be had for. I'm prefectly happy with OTC ammo in this caliper.

The .458 SOCOM presents an opportunity for me to reload because of the parse availability of ammo as well as the cost.

However, I don't have the space for a large dedicated work area for this nor do I have the desire to spend a lot of money on something that I will probably never spend more than a relative handful of time doing.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:18:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bigsapper:
Well, I guess this is another aborted attempt in my 3 year quest to begin reloading.

For me, it's primarily an issue of desire. And to a lesser extent cost/expense.

I mostly shoot .45 and it's just not cost effective for me to reload that round based on what it can be had for. I'm prefectly happy with OTC ammo in this caliper.

The .458 SOCOM presents an opportunity for me to reload because of the parse availability of ammo as well as the cost.

However, I don't have the space for a large dedicated work area for this nor do I have the desire to spend a lot of money on something that I will probably never spend more than a relative handful of time doing.

Oh well.

Are you in DFW?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:33:07 AM EDT
Yes. I live in Ridgeview Ranch (west) near SH-121 & Coit. I can see the Frisco Horse Park from my front window.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 4:06:10 PM EDT by bigsapper]
OK, fixin to place an order...

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit
RCBS Dial Caliper/Case Length Gauge
RCBS Vibratory Cleaner
RCBS Rotary Media Separator

I already have dies. What else do I need?

Also when do you tumble cases, before or after resizing?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:40:02 PM EDT
D-Rays(preston and forest) has all this stuff in stock...

Kinda high but very nice, knowledgable salesmen
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:43:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigsapper:
OK, fixin to place an order...

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit
RCBS Dial Caliper/Case Length Gauge
RCBS Vibratory Cleaner
RCBS Rotary Media Separator

I already have dies. What else do I need?

Also when do you tumble cases, before or after resizing?

Case lube...

Clean before resizing...you don't want dirt and grime to collect or scratch your dies...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:34:33 PM EDT
Good first set up.

You NEED to get a hand primer, the RCBS one is fine. Trust me, you will thank me for this.

TXL

/screwed up and reloaded for 2 years before I did, I seriously regret the mistake.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:11:38 PM EDT
OK, I ran a piece of brass through the resizing die without much problem using the Lee lube. <shrug> I'll probably try to hook up with one of you fine gentleman that offered me assistance to get my dies adjusted properly.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:55:08 PM EDT
Ok, I am totally baffled. I went by Barber's and it was closed, building was vacant. On the way home from Market Hall I went by and they seemed to be back in business.

mm
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:38:22 PM EDT
Do you have a scale?

I've done without a cleaner or media separator for a couple years/3000 rounds now. But they guys are complaining that they can't spot my brass against the dirt so I am looking into one...

P.S. buy a Dillon. Although I do want a hand press sometime for emergencies.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:52:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mPisi:
I've done without a cleaner or media separator for a couple years/3000 rounds now.

How do you "clean" your brass?
Top Top