Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 11:11:59 AM EDT
Can it be sold out of state instead of tunring it in to be destroyed.  What are some options?

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Can it be sold out of state instead of tunring it in to be destroyed.  What are some options?

I believe that is one of the options. If your family does opt to have it destroyed, make sure that they only bring in the lower receiver
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#2]
You can sell it out of state.  I wonder, can you personally keep it out of state, or does the firearm have to be registered to you, or is there a way around it?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can sell it out of state.  I wonder, can you personally keep it out of state, or does the firearm have to be registered to you, or is there a way around it?

I'm pretty sure AR's are NOT registered in the free country....I remember reading something about ranges in Nevada and whatnot renting out storage lockers for Californians to keep their guns in if they didn't want to register or were afraid of the DOJ taking them away.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

As far as this portion of the California gun  law goes it stops at the border.
Plenty of California AR15's living in exil in OR, AZ and NV.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure AR's are NOT registered in the free country....I remember reading something about ranges in Nevada and whatnot renting out storage lockers for Californians to keep their guns in if they didn't want to register or were afraid of the DOJ taking them away.

I mean a 4473 rifle registration, not AW.  

It could be willed to someone, not requiring a 4473, who then takes it out of state?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It could be willed to someone, not requiring a 4473, who then takes it out of state?

If you legally posess the rifle I don't think it matters where you store it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no provision in the AWB law to register it unless it was dual registered at the time the law went in affect. That is why some people registered their AW’s in their name and their spouse’s names. If said AW was registered in the owners name and whoever would inherit it then it would be legal to keep it in California.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#8]
That would imply then too, that if  you'd originally specified a corporation as a legal 'owner' of the rifle, then would any officer of that corp. have access to it?

If so, then does it follow that if you 'sold' the said corporation to another, would assets such as an 'assault weapon' still be included?

Something to keep in mind if any 'new' registrations do indeed happen...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no provision in the AWB law to register it unless it was dual registered at the time the law went in affect. That is why some people registered their AW’s in their name and their spouse’s names. If said AW was registered in the owners name and whoever would inherit it then it would be legal to keep it in California.  

Yes it was dual registered that would be fine. When I said that "if you legally posess the rifle I don't think it matters where you store it" I meant that as a response to Chaingun's comment about taking it out of state.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#10]
From the DOJ FAQ page.

Can I inherit and keep a registered assault weapon?

No. Pursuant to California Penal Code section 12285(b), any person who obtains title to a registered assault weapon by bequest or intestate succession shall, within 90 days, render the weapon permanently inoperable, sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer who has a permit from the Department of Justice to purchase assault weapons, obtain a permit from the Department of Justice to possess assault weapons, or remove the weapon from this state.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, that sucks don't it?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"obtain a permit from the Department of Justice to possess assault weapons"

Interesting ... if the state followed the laws, which they don't, then there has to be some process for obtaining a permit from the DoJ to possess an assault weapon. Wonder what it is?

Edited to add: I'll take my chances with the DoJ any day of the week over the whims of the local DA.

From my understanding the process for getting a AW permit is the same as that of a machine, ie you're not going to get one unless you know somebody.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually have just gone through this delima after my father past away.

We were told by the DOJ after SB23 passed to just register each gun twice, once in his name, and once in mine. My application was rejected because I didnt turn 18 by Aug. 16th 2000 (where they came up with this date, I have no idea). I turned 18 in Sep. of 2000, and was denied registration and after making numerous phone calls and writing letters, the DOJ just said too bad, thats the way it is.

So now my father passed away, I inhereted his gun collection, and had to dispose of a pair of AR-15s.

I sold them to a CA assault weapons dealer.  They put the rifles up for sale to LEO, and out of state dealers.

I didnt get much for them either, but it was better than just turing them in and getting a pat on the back for being a good citizen. I just put the money towards a gun the my dad and I had been looking at for awhile before he died, a Springfield MC Operator!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the inormation, fellas.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#16]
if you want to keep it, take it to NV and rent a storage locker for it.  NV law does not require registration of a long gun.  if you are in Clark County you only have to "blue card" pistols.

you can either drive it out of the state to export it, or you can UPS it as a private citizen to an out of state FFL who can agree to store it for you for some fee.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
One last thing:  Would it be okay to put up said lower on the Equiptment Exchange for someone to purchase out of state?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I actually have just gone through this delima after my father past away.

We were told by the DOJ after SB23 passed to just register each gun twice, once in his name, and once in mine. My application was rejected because I didnt turn 18 by Aug. 16th 2000 (where they came up with this date, I have no idea). I turned 18 in Sep. of 2000, and was denied registration and after making numerous phone calls and writing letters, the DOJ just said too bad, thats the way it is.

So now my father passed away, I inhereted his gun collection, and had to dispose of a pair of AR-15s.

I sold them to a CA assault weapons dealer.  They put the rifles up for sale to LEO, and out of state dealers.

I didnt get much for them either, but it was better than just turing them in and getting a pat on the back for being a good citizen. I just put the money towards a gun the my dad and I had been looking at for awhile before he died, a Springfield MC Operator!

I would have just kept them, do you really think the cops are going to bother to check your rifle to see if its registered?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would have just kept them, do you really think the cops are going to bother to check your rifle to see if its registered?

With an AW maybe. Do you really want to risk a felony?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top