Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 10/25/2006 8:12:00 AM EST
Does any know what rules apply for guns sales from a nonFFL person to sell a gun to someone?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:49:55 AM EST
In state

Swap money for gun.

If you are paranoid about it, then pay some local FFL dealer to sell it for you.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 6:57:11 PM EST
For a sale of your personal firearm to another person, neither person needs a FFL or is it required that the sale go through a FFL. Current State and Federal regs do not prohibit such a sale, as long as the other party is a resident of the State of Iowa.

If I were selling a firearm to another person, I would like to have the other person show me a Permit to Acquire Pistols or Revolvers. That would let me know that the individual does not have a criminal background and is not prohibited from having firearms. I would also copy down Drivers License Info and the Permit to Acquire number. Cover your rearend if you are selling to a person your don't know.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:46:44 PM EST
Just to add to whiteing's post, that Iowa does require the person that is buying, if a handgun, to have a purchase permit. Don't know if this applies to rifles and shotguns, but I would personally feel better knowing that the buyer had a purchase permit.

I also second the suggestion of getting a DL# and purchase permit #. Never know what might come back to haunt you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:54:26 AM EST
Thank you for the info, he is a fellow Iowan. I meet up at the range with him and he has all kinds of expensive firearms. So sounds like I'm good to go.

Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top