Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 4:01:57 AM EDT
How is it done?  Is there a special amendment form or when registering the handgun that you will be using in 2 calibers do you simply write .40/9mm in the caliber box?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:12:32 AM EDT
[#1]
HAs far as I know in Nassau you just register the gun in the Caliber you buy it in. If you get a switch barrel it does not matter since the # is on the frame.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Springfield XD and the barrel has a serial # on it.  Would a conversion barrel not have a serial number?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a good question and I've thought about it in the past.

There's two problems with not having a conversion caliber listed on your permit.

The first is that under NYS law, you can only buy pistol ammo for a caliber you have listed on your permit.  Of course, this is honored in the breach more than the observance, but at some stores (i.e., Sports Authority in Yonkers) they will not sell you 9mm ammo unless you show them a 9mm pistol on your permit (or convince them it's for a Camp 9mm rifle).

Second, and more serious, for NYC residents, possession of ammo that is not for a caliber listed on your permit is a crime.  So if I buy a .22 conversion for my Beretta, I can't legally possess the .22 ammo unless I can get .22 listed on my permit.

The above two problems are separate and apart from having the frame of the weapon listed on your permit.  Sorry, I don't have any answers on this question.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Phil, thanks for your input.

What if I had a .40 on my license and no mention of the 9mm barrel I am carrying with?  What would/could happen?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#5]
This is interesting, I want to buy a .40 Sig 226 with a .357SIG conversion barrel, non-matching numbers.  I didn't even think if the implications of such a purchase until this thread.  I'm going to call my Sheriff's department and find out how they would handle it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#6]
What if I use .38 SPL in my .357 MAG wheel guns?  

AFAIK if you initially add a new multi-caliber pistol to your license you should list the caliber as .357/.40. If you buy an additional caliber for  a registered pistol you should amend your license and add the new caliber to it. Before doing anything I would ask the licensing agency what they require. They may just tell you it's not required but I would get that in writing from them.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Since when is it against the law to buy ammo in NYS for a pistol caliber that you don't own. Many people have pistol caliber rifles and they can buy ammo without a pistol permit. As far as I know the stores that have those ammo policies are doing it on a voluntary basis.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The pistol license restriction only applies if the ammo is exclusive for use in a pistol. Since almost all pistol calibers are chambered for use in a rifle the law is almost meaningless.

§ 270.00  Unlawfully dealing with fireworks and dangerous fireworks.

4.    Sales  of ammunition not prohibited.   Nothing contained in this
 section shall be construed to prevent, or interfere in any way with, the
 sale of ammunition for revolvers or pistols of any kind, or for  rifles,
 shot  guns,  or other arms, belonging or which may belong to any persons
 whether as sporting or hunting weapons or for the purpose of  protection
 to them in their homes, or, as they may go abroad; and manufacturers are
 authorized  to  continue  to manufacture, and wholesalers and dealers to
 continue to deal in and freely to sell ammunition to  all  such  persons
 for such purposes.

5.    Notwithstanding  the  provisions  of  subdivision  four  of this
 section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in  firearms  to  sell  any
 ammunition  designed  exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
 person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver.   The  violation
 of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
RKBar15, tell that to Elliot Spitzer.  The reason that Kieslers and others will no longer sell ammo to NY is because Spitzer threatened them under this particular statute.  

The only "exclusive" calibers I can think of are .25 ACP and maybe .32 ACP.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think .380 has a carbine either but we are definitely harassed by these do-nothing feel good laws.  20 years mandatory for a gun assault (excepting self - defense) or robbery  .  15 for selling unregistered handguns.  Stuff like that I can't disagree with.
But I digress, as I simply agree that the best way to avoid any problems is just to go back to your pistol licensing agent/ permit bureau and ask.  As asinine as the rules are in Nassau County, the cops and civilian employees have been nothing but helpful.  BUT DON'T CROSS THAT STOP LINE UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO, LOL !
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]
You can have a Contender or Encore rifle/carbine made in any caliber you like. So it all depends on how well you sell your story. Chances are the pimple faced kid at Sports Authority won't know what you're talking about, be it a lie or the truth.
I think the best answer is to own one of ever caliber. :D

I've had a couple Thompson Centers over the years, and a couple dozen barrels. I never worried about it.

I've registered two Contenders and an Encore and not once did I bring a barrel in with it.

The first time the officer in charge told the person doing the paper work "Put down .35 caliber. They almost always seem to be .35 caliber."  (at the time .35 cal or better was required for big game hunting)

I don't recall the second time, I may have just said "35" again.

The third time was for an Encore frame and I was feeling froggy. They asked what caliber and I said there wasn't one. "Well what's it GOING to be?" they said. I told them I didn't know. That I bought it cause it was so cheap, and that I may never buy a barrel for it. Just sell it in the future. They didn't seem to know what to do. This went on for a few minutes.  They finally said "Well I have to out SOMETHING down, is there anything you think you MIGHT want to have one day?"  lol I figured I'd pushed my luck long enough and just said ".22".

I'm always vague,  just give the caliber.  My Ruger Buckeye is listed as ".40" It has two cylinders, 38-40 and 10mm.
There's no point trying to explain to them my .22 Long Snapper Ruger Bisley. (a 22 center fire made from a shortened 22 Hornet) It just says "Ruger .22"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top