Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 10:39:15 AM EDT
Do I laminate it and keep it with me at all times?

Or do I keep it with the pistol at all times?

Or do I just file it away?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
laminate and keep in a safe spot like you would with a title to a car. thats what i did with my 3.
"But thats just me talking, its really up to you". alan jackson
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep mine with me when carrying, just in case.  If its new and the serial number hasn't made its way into the system or if there is a problem with the system, having it might make a difference.  Then again, it might not.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I do not plan to carry this pistol, it's just used at the range.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The green sheet is proof that you have complied with safety inspection within the required timeframe.  It should definitely be held on to so if anyone questions that you followed the proper registration procedure, you have proof that you did.

There is no law requires you carrying it with your gun, but many do in case it could be relevant if the police have questions about your gun or your serial number is mistakenly entered into a database of stolen guns or similar.

I personally keep them in a pile in my safe.

-Dan
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Rather than laminate I use simple clear box tape.  Works just fine & isn't as thick at lam in your wallet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I hard laminate all of mine (kinkos does it), then i keep them in my safe along with all my other important papers. Now when i take a pistol to the range or carry my gun i slip the card in my wallet. McM
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:31:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The green sheet is proof that you have complied with safety inspection within the required timeframe.  It should definitely be held on to so if anyone questions that you followed the proper registration procedure, you have proof that you did.

There is no law requires you carrying it with your gun, but many do in case it could be relevant if the police have questions about your gun or your serial number is mistakenly entered into a database of stolen guns or similar.

I personally keep them in a pile in my safe.

-Dan

Thanks. I didn't see anything written on the card and both my FFL dealer and local PD didn't say anything about the procedures/etc... they just handed my gun back and told me to sign the 3 cards (1 was my copy).
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I hard laminate all of mine (kinkos does it), then i keep them in my safe along with all my other important papers. Now when i take a pistol to the range or carry my gun i slip the card in my wallet. McM

+1, except I do mine at work.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
My local PD laminated mine.And I always carry it in my wallet.Like Sunday,I was at my bros house shooting a few hundered off.And suddenly I look and theres a DNR truck in front of his house .So i dropped the empty mag out of my pistol,sat the gun on the ground and walked over.He was walking through a near by woods down the road and heard a bunch of gun fire going off so he came and checked it out.So I walked up to him and asked if i could help him with somewthing.He told me he was in the area and just heard a bunch of shots going off and came to check it out.So I walked him over to our range and showed him my pistol*C15 97*And he was like wow is this yours and I said yes.So where standing there just shooting the shit and what not then he askes in he could see my ID and permit.I said sure and gave him them.He said I`m just going to run this in and make sure everything is legit.So we both walked over to his truck and while he was give the other end all my info ,He asked me where I got it and I told him Jays*clare*and asked if i had to special order it and what not and I`m like no they had it right in stock and theres another one there,Then I was telling him bout the SEBR thats coming out  and all that.And all in all,He was realy damm kool bout everything and a hell of a nice guy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep it with the Gun: If you are stopped and you have it with you they will probably want to see the green card.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Keep it with the Gun: If you are stopped and you have it with you they will probably want to see the green card.

What if I don't have it with me? It doesn't say on the card to keep it with the gun or to keep it on your person. My local PD didn't say a single thing to me. They gave me a whole spiel about their hours but not that I had to keep it with me?? I don't carry (no CCW) so it's only for range use.
Couldn't the LEO run the serial # through his MDT?

Or I could photocopy the card?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
it really doesn't matter because handguns are put in a lein system just like when they run your name so it will tell the officer everything so i would put it some where safe
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
You have to get a purchase permit from the local PD before doing the transfer at the FFL dealer. Then within 10 days of the transfer/purchase, you have to get it registered and you get a green card. This is for each pistol in MI. Usually permits are free but my local PD is charging $5 starting 9/1/05 because they're low on budget. My Glock 17 will be the last pistol I ever buy. I just don't like pistols after shooting the Glock. I'd rather have spent the $400-$500 on building another AR-15 carbine.

Long guns and shotguns, do not require registration or permits. It better damn well stay that way.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Cody: No problem. MI is better than NJ though. in NJ, you need approval by the CLEO before getting a permit for a long gun!!!! Plus there's also the mag limit law. Basically if your CLEO doesn't like you, or you cannot justify the purchase of an AR-15, you can't get one. This is mainly in the more populated suburbs.

But funny thing is in NJ, I lived near about 5-6 indoor gun ranges. Here in SE MI, either the indoor gun ranges suck, or they're overly expensive. There's no way i can afford to learn how to shoot a pistol just by going to the indoor ranges.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Long guns and shotguns, do not require registration or permits. It better damn well stay that way.

So, AR15's for example.  *NO* purchase permit or registration is needed???  Just purchase from the FFL and go home?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, AR15's for example.  *NO* purchase permit or registration is needed???  Just purchase from the FFL and go home?

SO LONG as it's not under 30" OAL or under 26" OAL. If it's between 26" and 30" OAL, it must be registered as a pistol. If it's under 26", it's a SBR and is prohibited w/o the proper paperwork.

But basically I bought a stripped lower and just did the transfer at my local FFL, no permit or registration. MI is great for long guns and shotguns. No permits or registration required. Permits and reg is required on all pistols though...

Happy purchasing!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi MocoMan,

Getting settled in yet?  How's the 16 month old?  I'm sorry, I don't remember if (don't want to use the word IT) boy or girl?  Daughter me thinks???

If you buy the rifle/shotgun at a retail outlet you will have to fill out the federal yellow form 4473...4733......4377......well the yellow form anyway.  And then go home!

So it is in effect registered with the feds.  No permit needed locally.  If you wish to avoid federal registration you may buy the rifle/shotgun from any MI resident face to face.  You can do the same with a pistol (i.e. FTF) but you need to fill out and get your 'permit to purchase pistol' and return to your CLEO (where you get your permit to purchase from).  The seller will fill out and sign the back of the green cards and you return to your CLEO for a "safty inspection".   They run the serial #, enter your purchase into a data bank (not sure what one, local/fed?) handle it , drool on it and hand it back with your copy of the green 'safty inpsection'card.  IIRC the first time you get a permit you need to take a test.  It was really simple, and common sense.  If you can't pass it, you probably should not drive...let alone buy a pistol.    

There is a expiration date on the permit to purchase (5 days?) to accuire the pistol and the same time limit to register (get your safty inpection) you gun with your CLEO.  This is for the city of Lansing, Ingham Co.  I am sure your local constable will tell you what you need to do in your AO.

Disclaimers;
YMMV...Past gains are no guarrentee of future returns...

Tim L.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#21]
You must use the permit within 10 days or return it unused to the PD. After you purchase the pistol, you have 10 days from the date of sale to register it (aka safety inspection, but note that IT IS registration. If you buy a glock 17 9mm with a 4.49" barrel, that is what the ATF and MSP will have in their database).

For an AR-15 lower receiver or rifle, so long as it is not a SBR or Pistol, you just need to do the NICS check and fill out the 4473 form. AFAIK only the dealer retains a copy of the 4473 so the ATF and MSP do not have any knowledge that you own an AR-15 with serial # 123456.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#22]
The AR15 in question is the SEBR.  Can't wait! When you come from Kalifornia, having all your freedoms back is a breath of fresh air.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The AR15 in question is the SEBR.  Can't wait!

When you come from Kalifornia, having all your freedoms back is a breath of fresh air.

Where are you located? There's a FFL dealer in Macomb county that can do the transfer for $15 and seems to get a LOT of AR-15 traffic. WHen I went there to get my Ameetec lower receiver, he said there were 6 other Ameetec lower receivers there. It was an ARFCOM vendor special.

There's another FFL dealer in Farmington Hills that does it for $15 as well.

Typical FFL dealers here want $20-$30 + 6% use tax, and some like Double Action, quoted me $50 + 6% tax.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hi MocoMan,

Getting settled in yet?  How's the 16 month old?

Hey Tim,

The family is doing just fine.  My 16 month old is a boy and he's just now getting over a virus.  We drove down to Novi to see a doctor and he told us it was probably "Michigan Crud"  Says it's in the air and in the lakes.  People from out of state just don't have the immunities to deal with Michigan air.  But he assured us that it only hits young'ins and old people.  So it's been about 4 days and my little trooper looks like he's built up a solid immunity to "the crud"  Poor kid also swallowed about of gallon of Silver Lake the other day.  I love what they call a "beach" out here.  What a hoot!  We've had some good times already.  Now just need to get my Drivers License from the SOS and new plates, oh yeah and a JOB would be nice.  ho
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You DO NOT NEED to carry the green card and won't be asked for it unless you run into some one totally ignorant of the laws. I have never been asked for one or either has any one I know for that matter. It is not a requirment or even suggested to be one by our law. No more so than say carrying the receipt for it around. I put them in a envelope in the safe and they live there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The AR15 in question is the SEBR.  Can't wait!

When you come from Kalifornia, having all your freedoms back is a breath of fresh air.

Typical FFL dealers here want $20-$30 + 6% use tax, and some like Double Action, quoted me $50 + 6% tax.

Double Action are such asshats in so many ways I wouldn't spend a nickle there. On top of that thier prices are rediculus. I have no idea how they mange to sell guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Where are you located? There's a FFL dealer in Macomb county that can do the transfer for $15 and seems to get a LOT of AR-15 traffic. WHen I went there to get my Ameetec lower receiver, he said there were 6 other Ameetec lower receivers there. It was an ARFCOM vendor special.

There's another FFL dealer in Farmington Hills that does it for $15 as well.

Typical FFL dealers here want $20-$30 + 6% use tax, and some like Double Action, quoted me $50 + 6% tax. hr

I'm in Genesee county by the border of Oakland County (Fenton | Holly) and the dude here wants $50 bucks; he didn't mention 6% TAX but I wouldn't put it past him.  Seems the whole "tactical" thing isn't popular in Michigan.  More about hunting and fishing.  Went to Gander Mountain in Flint and my eyes were wide with how many rifles they had. hy.gif
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#28]
According to MSP, Michigan State Law does not require any person to carry the registration card.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:50:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
According to MSP, Michigan State Law does not require any person to carry the registration card.

Theres one reason and one reason only that I carry my card with whatever pistol I have with me.

Ready? Here goes...

If the LEIN system is down and a LEO is trying to confirm your ownership, YOUR SCREWED.
Your pistol WILL be confinscated until the LEIN system is back up and running and your are confirmed as the actual owner. Then you will have to go throught the hassle of getting it back. Dosent sound like a whole lot of fun to me. And it won't matter if you have a CPL and are carrying it or not.

Does the LEIN system go down allot? I don't know, but my pistol will always be comming home with me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:52:59 AM EDT
[#30]
How does the officer know your green reg card is valid and not a facsimile that has been doctored?
I bet he will confiscate your pistol if the LEIN system is down regardless of what documentation you have.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:04:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I guess thats possible but unlikely. If you don't have your card at all, theres no possibility of you leaving with your gun. I like to increase my odds not decrease them.

Ask a few LEO's what they would do.
The ones I asked said if you have your green card your good to go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#32]
The guy I contacted at MSP was a Sgt. He basically said you don't need to carry it around. He didn't mention anything about the possibility of the LEIN system going down... I wouldn't put it past them to confiscate though But I'd be concerned even if you did have the green card that they wouldn't accept it. MI driver's licenses have like 6 digital watermarks/imprints to prevent falsification. The MI pistol reg cards are flimsy .gov forms made into break-apart cards. Don't they have a backup system for local LEOs? I.e. local township PD downloads the registration data daily or weekly and has it in their system. Local LEO would just run it through their MDT to verify registration rather than having to go through lansing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll still carry mine with me. If it saves me even once, it's more than worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#34]
well, i have a glock 17. If they confiscate it, the worst that can happen is they put a few more rounds through it or trash the finish a bit more. I still have the big guns that do not require registration.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Since I have a specific case for each pistol, i just leave the green card in the case.  Slap a piece of packing tape on both sides, and it won't get damaged by solvents or oil.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top