Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2015 12:13:08 PM EDT
Im planning a camping trip to the Monongahela National Forest in  the next 2 weeks. If possible, I would like to bring a firearm for not only defense, but also recreational shooting. The area I will be in is west of Simoda. Does anyone know if this area is generally a good place to do recreational shooting? Here is a map of the hiking route for a better idea of the area.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never had any issues shooting in the MNF, but then I don't plan to shoot 500 rounds at a time. Mostly just a .357 mag rifle. With that said, take note of the hunting season and wear blaze orange. Not for sure if they would let you walk into the woods during hunting season with a rifle without a hunting license.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This, that is seneca creek, very popular hiking spot this time of year.  You can carry, but as far as recreational shooting no.  Go to the middle of nowhere for that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't tell for sure by your map, but that looks like the Seneca Creek area to me. If that's the case, it probably wouldn't be a good idea as it's a popular place with hikers.

This, that is seneca creek, very popular hiking spot this time of year.  You can carry, but as far as recreational shooting no.  Go to the middle of nowhere for that.

Didn't realize it was a popular spot, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, waldo and I can recommend better areas
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't realize it was a popular spot, thanks for the heads up.

I shoot in the Mon Forest all the time, that's just not a really good place to do it.  

Yeah, waldo and I can recommend better areas

What general areas of the forest would you recommend for a safe shooting spot?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top