Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 12:07:13 AM EDT
I've seen the estimates range from a few hundred up to 8,000 - 10,000 for the state so far.

How many receivers have you bought so far?

I did six. Five for myself and one for my brother.

(Before you get yer' panties in a bunch, no strawman, I made arrangements, my brother paid for and DROS'ed his own receiver)

That's enough.

For now.

How about you?

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe you should make a poll so we can get a better count.

It's waaaaay more than a few hundred.  One of my FFL's, a small 2-man shop, has done about 100 alone, and he's only doing specific brands.  Another dealer I used DROS'd 200 in less than a week.  One of the first group buys in NorCal did about 50 in one shot.  And there have been at least 10 large-scale group buys throughout the state.

Oh, I bought just 4.  Didn't want to over do it.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Other states have been good sports about us draining the supply, I guess since they can readily buy from vendors that are already on the list.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Also waiting for a price drop and then might get more.

This is getting more interesting to follow by the day
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
2 myself
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I know for fact that there are just over 2,200 minimum.  I honestly don't believe that there is over 5,000.  Where did these major transfers take place?  All of the big norcal and socal group buys fit in this 2200 range plus most of the smaller deals people at calguns have gotten through the not so common ffl's.  

I'm interested in how people got this10k mark.  I'm not saying they are wrong, but the majority of the sales have been through calguns bewteen group buys and small ffl's.  It would be nice to see actual numbers from ffls.

Again, my reasoning for this is that 10k lowers would make all of the deals at calguns that are known, pale in comparison.  

-theseacow
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Ten Percent Firearms in Taft moved 150? 200? as the first dealer to do a bulk kickoff in early December.

Calguns users Ben (artherd) and Scatch Maroo alone have done more than 1,000 (one thousand) now as part of multiple group buys they arrange (and which Ben funds - without making any money on the deal).

We're pretty sure most (95%, say) of Stag's late December inventory of 960 lowers was slurped up by California activities too - apparently they were drained dry in a week.  

I have reliable reports of  two larger dealers in SoCal - one doing 1000 lowers and one doing around 300.  Plus there are quite a few FFLs doing 20 here, 50 there.

I'd think we're certifiably beyond 4500 lowers and may be up near 6K.  10K is probably way high but that many may happen if DOJ waits til Feb to list...

Bill W.
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I did two, two coworkers did one each and my brother did two.  I would love to see a chart showing  the number of long guns DROS'ed in each of the last 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
One. I am sure it is legal to own a bare lower, but I am not sure if they will be allowed to be made "whole".

I have seen a least 200 in boxes waiting for delivery.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
One. I am sure it is legal to own a bare lower, but I am not sure if they will be allowed to be made "whole".

I have seen a least 200 in boxes waiting for delivery.

You can build a bare lower into operating rifle if and only if it has a 10rd fixed nondetachable magazine.  (I'd be leery of no-pistol-grip rifles myself.)   Always have the fixed mag installed BEFORE the pistol grip & telestock installed, and always remove the fixed 10rd mag (for service, etc) only AFTER removing the pistol grip/telestock.

After they are banned and they are registered and you have papers you should be able to use it 'whole'.  Stay tuned for some announcements in this area for confirmation - important legal information will be posted on Calguns and here in due time after reg period opens.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I also heard stripped lowers are in short supply at gun shows nationwide because the off list brands are mostly being shipped here.

Strange. My shooting buddy in Florida reported Bushmaster lowers for $99.00 at his local gun show last weekend.

Stasg 6.8 lowers for $109 here www.eaglefirearms.net/stag_arms.htm#Lower%20Receivers
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I got 2 and my friend got 2. I was supprised that when I did my dros last week at around 1300 I was number 463. When my friend did his dros at 1400 he was number 667. Thats a lot of dros being done each day. I know there not all lowers but still thats a lot.  I too will think about getting a few more if this goes on long enough.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Does eagle firearms ship those to CA?

When I asked them last month, the answer was no.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I also heard stripped lowers are in short supply at gun shows nationwide because the off list brands are mostly being shipped here.

Strange. My shooting buddy in Florida reported Bushmaster lowers for $99.00 at his local gun show last weekend.

Stasg 6.8 lowers for $109 here www.eaglefirearms.net/stag_arms.htm#Lower%20Receivers

Bushmasters are not being shipped here. Bet he didn't see many off list brands.

Does eagle firearms ship those to CA?

The question you should be asking is does the distributor that Eagle Firearms buy from sell to FFL holders located in Cali.  Eagle isnt paying $109 for those lowers, and neither would any other FFL who got them from the same distributor.

The Dealers in cali selling lowers are not buying them from dealers like Eagle firearms. they are buying them from manufacturers and distributors.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#17]
i say at this point it's easily over 10,000 lowers.  I'd say a very rough guess is between 10K and 20K receivers in the state registered to someone now.  the news has spread enough that almost every firearm owner is getting one, and those never owning a firearm are getting on now too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Dealers in cali selling lowers are not buying them from dealers like Eagle firearms. they are
buying them from manufacturers and distributors.

Well the FFLs in CA selling/transferring lowers are NOT getting them from mfgrs in general (there may be 1 or 2 small ones that are not the case recently, dunno...)  but from intermediary FFLs.   Some of the NorCal group buys have had lowers come thru 5 FFLs (chained and in parallel)  for one group buy.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top