Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 1:46:33 PM EDT
In case you didn't read my post on GAT, they have 20 rounds boxes of Winchester white box 55 gr. FMJ ammo for $3.99 a box or $179.50/K. It's made in Israel and I have heard different things about whether it is loaded as hot as 5.56 Q3131A. The Winchester catalog lists the muzzle velocity at 3240 from a 24" barrel. It was $191.00 w/ tax, not the deal of the century, but good .223 is getting hard to come by at a reasonable price.

ETA: They are having a Winchester ammo sale September 10 & 11.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you think the price might be during the Sale?
Might be worth going to take a look!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
"What do you think the price might be during the Sale?"

I don't know, but if they were to knock another 10% off of $179.50 that puts it at $161.55, worth buying a couple of cases. There is discussion about this ammo on the ammunition page and the feedback is that it is good hot ammo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a bad price at all.

I picked up 1k rounds of 55gr Olympic at Gander on sale for 99.00  a couple weeks ago though so I don't think I could get away with buying more factory ammo. Feeds just fine in my AR's and factory ammo is just my plinking ammo anyway, and not having more will force me to swage all those many many primer pockets on my lake city brass.

That said, GAT is really close to where I am, and I like their factory shoot - so if they have gotten better on prices I may have to swing through there to visit the EBR counter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
"I picked up 1k rounds of 55gr Olympic at Gander on sale for 99.00 a couple weeks ago"

LDYGUNNER? Witch store did you go to, I tried the Elgin one last weekend and they were out!

No rainchecks, call back and see...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not a bad price at all.

I picked up 1k rounds of 55gr Olympic at Gander on sale for 99.00  a couple weeks ago though so I don't think I could get away with buying more factory ammo. Feeds just fine in my AR's and factory ammo is just my plinking ammo anyway, and not having more will force me to swage all those many many primer pockets on my lake city brass.

That said, GAT is really close to where I am, and I like their factory shoot - so if they have gotten better on prices I may have to swing through there to visit the EBR counter.

You area  brave, brave soul...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It all depends on the lot. I inspected a few boxes and it looked fine - no bulges, OAL seemed consistent, all the primers were there and seated properly. For plinking ammo it works just fine - With MY Gun (some guns are particular, mine isn't terribly so).  I went through about 300 rounds of it last weekend and there wasn't a single extraction problem, and I didn't come across a single cartridge that had to be tossed out, so for plinking ammo, it works fine for me. Everyone's experiences vary - I know several people who have had no problems with Olympic Ammo, I know a few who have had problems too; I also know one who has one AR that likes it, and one that doesn't who was kind enough to let me shoot some to try it in my gun before I picked up a case.  

I still may pick up some  Q3131A or white box at Gat if they have it at the sale because I like the brass, and it might come in handy if I ever run out of Lake City brass.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It all depends on the lot. I inspected a few boxes and it looked fine - no bulges, OAL seemed consistent, all the primers were there and seated properly. For plinking ammo it works just fine - With MY Gun (some guns are particular, mine isn't terribly so).  I went through about 300 rounds of it last weekend and there wasn't a single extraction problem, and I didn't come across a single cartridge that had to be tossed out, so for plinking ammo, it works fine for me. Everyone's experiences vary - I know several people who have had no problems with Olympic Ammo, I know a few who have had problems too; I also know one who has one AR that likes it, and one that doesn't who was kind enough to let me shoot some to try it in my gun before I picked up a case.  

I still may pick up some  Q3131A or white box at Gat if they have it at the sale because I like the brass, and it might come in handy if I ever run out of Lake City brass.

I guess if it works for you and your gun, then that is good to go- definitely a lot cheaper than anything else you can pick up locally!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi All,

I picked up some of the 55gr Olympic at the Gander off of Randall, by the Best buy. I bought it when it was 120.00 a case. Anyway, the box the ammo was packaged in was marked 62gr and then scribbled over and the 55gr was printed on. The ammo boxes inside are all 55gr marked, in a standard olympic ammo packaging. I have fired 300 rounds of it so far and have not had a problem in either my 20" or my 16" midlength. I have checked the cases after firing and have noted nothing abnornal whatsoever. I do believe that this batch was the later production stuff that is okay. My friend bought two cases of it for the same price as LdyGunner and we fired about 200 rounds on the 19th at Buffalo Rock and it functioned perfectly. Again, we checked the brass for any unusual findings and everything was typical.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh, I did stop buy GAT and found the Win ammo. The ammo they have on the floor is Win .223 marked USA223R1 lot WC20. I purchased 100 rounds, every time I go to Gander they are out. I did stop at the EBR counter and the prices do look reasonable, but I like to build my own. They do have RRA stripped lowers for 135.00.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They do have RRA stripped lowers for 135.00.

That is good to know!!!! - they didn't carry them last time I was in, so I had stopped asking. I was going to just order from Adco and have on shipped to my transfer guy, but 135 isn't that bad at all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I only saw the one receiver in the case upstairs. I am assuming that they have a few more in back. However, one can never be sure... I like going to GAT because they pretty much have everything there. It looks like some of their prices have come down a bit. I also like going to The Gun Doctor, in Roselle, off Lake street. They have some reasonable deals there as well. Their new shop is real nice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the tip on GAT. Will ahve to make the gun shop rounds again some time soon.

Never saw a Bushamster that liked Olympic. My Rock River ate it just fine though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#13]
when is the factory shoot?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:37:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know when their next factory shoot is, but they are having an ammo sale Sept 10 & 11. I want to see if they lower the price anymore on the Winchester/IMI .223. If it's a good enough price I'll buy a couple of cases, then I'll be pretty well stocked for ammo. I  already have some of the Win./IMI .223, quite a bit of XM-193 and even some Wolf.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
when is the factory shoot?

March 4-5
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I stopped by Saturday and fondled their evil black rifles. Didn't realize how freeking heavy that Vepr 223 rifle is!
It was nice seeing a Maadi AK in the used gun rack open to everyone.

Didn't buy any ammo but saw they had a bunch of South African 308 for $29.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I stopped by Saturday and fondled their evil black rifles. Didn't realize how freeking heavy that Vepr 223 rifle is!
It was nice seeing a Maadi AK in the used gun rack open to everyone.

Didn't buy any ammo but saw they had a bunch of South African 308 for $29.

That's pretty decent.

Too bad I'd go through 10 gallons of gas one way getting there. With gas expected to hit $3.00 a gallon tomorrow, that's out of the question

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Lake county folks wanna do a carpool?  Sounds like prices will be good, but it's a little far for me to drive by myself to find out they're not.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Lake County, IL? Your profile says your a Cheesehead. If you are around here what town are you in? I'm in Barrington. I want to go there early Saturday (10th) morning and would be happy to share a ride.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm 20 minutes from Winthrop Harbor/ Gurnee.

And I don't need a FOID to buy ammo either
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#21]
What kind of prices can I expect for 9MM, and 223, 45acp, etc during the truck load sale? Any people buy last year?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top