Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2014 2:46:31 PM EDT
I need to get out of the air conditioned indoor ranges and do something a little more realistic.  I looked up a list of tactical courses being held at the county shooting sports park and found out that "Ready Tactical" is hosting a class next week.  LINK
I don't know anything about Ready Tactical  -  anyone local shoot with them?  Are they good to go?

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, air conditioned indoor ranges serve a purpose. People use 'em to sight in ,qualify,blow off steam ad infinitum. I would try shooting outdoors in the many places around vegas to shoot.  I take tennis balls, bowling pins on tables and steel targets. I like reactive targets instead of paper. There are three gun matches,subgun matches, IDPA, night matches that you could attend and spend the money you would have spent on a class for ammo.
 I am not saying don't take the class, but with very little effort you can improve your shooting skills by attending matches and finding some like minded shooting buddies and practice. YMMV,Ronnie
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not saying don't take the class, but with very little effort you can improve your shooting skills by attending matches and finding some like minded shooting buddies and practice. YMMV,Ronnie
View Quote

I really do need to get into competition.  I just don't want to wake up 18 months down the road and find myself the owner of some crazy $$$ race gun that needs a permanent gunsmith.    

I haven't done any desert shooting yet.  I've seen guys off in the "trenches" on the way to Mt. Charleston.  I've also heard first-hand horror stories about complete knuckle heads drinking & shooting propane tanks.     I like you're idea of shooting tennis balls - that's a target I haven't thought of.  

I can shoot a decent bulls eye and can draw from concealment & put three rounds into a target at 21'.  ....but I'd like to be better.  (who doesn't?)  
For years I used to instruct drivers at Porsche club events.  When I got started everyone wanted to run up through the student run groups as fast as they could and "go solo".  I was never in that kind of a hurry.  I liked having an instructor in the car who could coach me and help shave 1/2 seconds here and there from my lap times.  
I've taken that same attitude towards firearms training.  I can go "solo" but who's going to push me to the next level?   I'd like the structure & coaching you get in firearms classes.   When they go around the class and ask students to introduce themselves and explain why they are here - I always reply "I'm here because I want to suck less"
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really do need to get into competition.  I just don't want to wake up 18 months down the road and find myself the owner of some crazy $$$ race gun that needs a permanent gunsmith.    
View Quote

American shooters still hosts matches at night.
They have a multi-gun setup going on this Thursday night.
Isn't super serious, no racegun needed.  Just gets you shooting and lets you push yourself and at the same time a good opportunity to meet like-minded shooters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top