Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:04:26 PM EDT
Went to Olde English to get an FFL today after having some issues at Lauhorner's.  Anyway, Olde English had what I believe is a brand spanking new .308 Garand for 899.  Considering these things MSRP for about 1100 bucks, I was pretty surprised.  Unfortunately, I just bought an M1A, and I've got a Savage on the way...so I'm probably done buying guns until 2007.

OE still had the same M1A's for ridiculous prices just sitting there.  I'm guessing the Garands don't sell too well at 1100 bucks with Camp Perry only 2.5 hours or so away.

How hard is it to competently run a gun store?  I have no real problems with Olde English aside from some of their prices.  The people there are usually pretty friendly, and you can find some good deals on some stuff.  As for the other gun stores I've been to-

1) Arms Depot- Pretty friendly guy.  Decent prices too.  The only real problem I had was the clutter.  Still a class act.  The only reason I didn't buy from him was because I got an absolutely incredible deal that I couldn't pass up.

2) Target World- I never like their range.  Their staff rank up there with the snobbiest gun nazis I've ever come in contact with.  Back when I was just getting into guns, I was planning to buy myself an AR-15.  So, I go in and say "How much do you guys want for that AR-15?"  The guy responds "We don't have any AR-15's."  Confused, I point to one on the rack.  He responds that AR-15's are banned, and that's a Sporter rifle, or some BS like that.  I might as well have been asking him if I could bribe him into making the gun full auto.  I haven't been back since, and bought my AR-15, or Sporter rifle...or whatever it is somewhere else.

3) New Albany-Not a fan favorite here, I know.  I've never had any real problems there though.  A few isolated incidents where the staff irked me, but other than that... Its a nice range.

4) Vandalia Tactical- How are these guys still open?

5) Ohio Rapid Fire- A lot of clutter.  The guy took my friend's name and phone number and promised to give him a call when PTR-91's came in.  Call it ESP, call it intuition, but as soon as we got back in the car, my friend and I looked at each other and both knew that phone call would never come.

6) Peabody Sports- Really, a pretty nice place. Friendly people who seem to know their guns.  You make an appointment, come in and discuss your options, and they order it for you.  They're also LEO friendly, which was a plus.  If you just want to walk in and fondle guns all day, its not the place for you, but if you're looking to actually purchase a gun, I'd give them a good look.

7) Lauhorner's- I'll post comments later when I'm not still pissed off.  Maybe I was just having a bad day, or they were having a bad day, but I'll give them another chance.

Looking for more thoughts!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
My only experience at lauhorner's (sp?) was less than stellar.

I like NASR... their help turns over a lot, but they like me because I let them shoot my fun toys.

Powder Room... People are GREAT... range sucks

Blackhawk is a great trap/skeet range... never used tehir indoor facility... nice counter help.

Vances/Buckeye A+.. very well organized for a big operation.

Gun World...  Strange dude, but neat toys and occasionally a great price (got a CZ-75 there NIB for $300 ~10 yrs ago).

Whatever happened to Davis Guns that used to be in Dublin?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Kames in North Canton. I shop there around Thanksgiving while visiting relatives. Bought my first Walther P22 there. Nice store with a modest amount of guns and gun related items.

Vances / Buckeye Outdoors. Almost everyone has been there. Great sale prices. Great selection. Need to shop your prices with other stores. Bought my Savage Varmint .223 there on sale for $ 419. The store in Licking County is less busy than Vance's but just as nice and bigger. This is my #1 rated store. Buckeye Outdoors

Olde English. Bought my 2nd P22 there. Great selection. Have only been there 2 or 3 times due to the long drive. Olde English

Fin, Feather, & Fur. Almost bough a CZ Kadet on sale last December for $ 299. Not enought lights in their pistol display area to see the guns very well. Again, price shop against other stores. Fin, Feather & Fur
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Whatever happened to Davis Guns that used to be in Dublin?

Forced to move to Plain City, which did them in. Kept selling for a couple of years, but they just didn't keep up sales/inventory. I loved that shop, got alot of good deals there when it was in the old Post Office.

I agree with your descriptions - although NASR treated me like shit when I tried to buy there. Maybe I need F/A toys! hehe.

Here's a few more:

Mac's Guns in Buckeye Lake: Kind of an odd milsurp/military gun hovel, lots of neat things show up there, but prices tend to be high - however they will deal. Nice guys, but it's a small shop with goofy hours.

Fin Feather & Fur in Ashland: A "mini" Cabelas, much like Buckeye Outdoors, great reloading section, alot of guns but prices tend to be a smidge higher than Vances - although on rare occasions they absolutely GIVE some guns away. I saw Armalite 16" SS varmint guns blown out there last year for $699, which is a helluva price. Can't build one that cheap. Staff has always been helpful.

Ohio Valley Trading in Nelsonville: Pawn/Gun/Hunting store, with a decent selection, friendly staff and some decent deals. Nothing to write home about, but a good shop if you're in the area.

Buckeye Valley in Lancaster: Good shop, very similar to Vances/Buckeye OD, but a tad smaller. Great range, friendly staff and decent prices on new guns.

J. Cunards in Newark: Gunsmith & shop, really interesting stuff for sale, lots of cool target rifles and pre-1900 guns, Joe Hepsworth (owner) is an encyclopedia of gun knowledge, and friendly although he keeps very minimal hours now, he's semi-retired.

Waldren's in Newark: Good shop for ordering & dealing on things, but their selection on hand has slowly dropped, and they don't carry much in the way of accessories. Nice guys, but they need more guns.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Gunsport in Centerville.

I realize many don't get "warm fuzzies" when they shop there, but deep down, Dave is an OK guy, and I think of him as a friend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite shop is Sportsmans Den in Shelby, OH.  It is out of the way and close to nothing.  However, they have a great selection and I very rarely see anyone with better prices.  The store is very large for such a small town.  It is in an old Quality Farm & Fleet building.

However, the best part of a trip to Shelby is a stop at a place called Glen's Sales and Surplus.  It is an old warehouse that has been turned into a surplus shops / mans garage sale.  I absolutely love that place!!!  A must see if you live in Ohio, and it is only about 1/2 mile from "The Den" as the locals call it.

BTW, there is a new FFL in Mount Vernon by the name of Ricks Sporting Goods.  Just got their FFL about a month ago and have no firearms inventory yet, but they plan on stocking some milsurp items and ammo.  Nice people to deal with and they will do a transfer for $20.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't believe no one has mentioned One Shot! They are a fairly new shop, but are already running out of room. He stocks lots of tactical gear, modern firearms as well as C&R stuff, and is also a C3 dealer! What else could you ask for?

One Shot is just outside Cincinnati in Newtown Ohio...great shop.

Cincylance
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Gunsport in Centerville.

I realize many don't get "warm fuzzies" when they shop there, but deep down, Dave is an OK guy, and I think of him as a friend.

Grumpy old Dave...

Don't get Lance started if he happen to see this,  and I met another fella that was turned off there..
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My favorite shop is Sportsmans Den in Shelby, OH.  However, the best part of a trip to Shelby is a stop at a place called Glen's Sales and Surplus.  

My dad was born and raised in Shelby!   My Grandparents lived there until they passed.  I love that place!  Do the Barkdels still restore old Jaguars?  Does Aunt Pearl still live on the Blvd?  Is Shelby Business Forms still around, or did GAF sell them?  

The old pool by the park.. is it stil there?  Go Whipets!

Sorry for hijacking the thread!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can't believe no one has mentioned One Shot! They are a fairly new shop, but are already running out of room. He stocks lots of tactical gear, modern firearms as well as C&R stuff, and is also a C3 dealer! What else could you ask for?

Cincylance

Does oneshot have a website? Im wondering if then can get an FS2000 when they come out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My dad was born and raised in Shelby!   My Grandparents lived there until they passed.  I love that place!  Do the Barkdels still restore old Jaguars?  Does Aunt Pearl still live on the Blvd?  Is Shelby Business Forms still around, or did GAF sell them?  

The old pool by the park.. is it stil there?  Go Whipets!

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Go Whippets my ass, Go Tigers!!!

"Hail to the blue, the orange and blue of dear old Galion. For tonight we raise the orange and blue above the red and grey..."

I spent a lot of time in Shelby my Senior year chasing girls. Even caught a few...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Went to Olde English to get an FFL today after having some issues at Lauhorner's.  Anyway, Olde English had what I believe is a brand spanking new .308 Garand for 899.  Considering these things MSRP for about 1100 bucks, I was pretty surprised.  Unfortunately, I just bought an M1A, and I've got a Savage on the way...so I'm probably done buying guns until 2007.

OE still had the same M1A's for ridiculous prices just sitting there.  I'm guessing the Garands don't sell too well at 1100 bucks with Camp Perry only 2.5 hours or so away.

Agree with all you said about OE.  Great products.  Helpful staff.  Ridiculous prices on most stuff.

How hard is it to competently run a gun store?  I have no real problems with Olde English aside from some of their prices.  The people there are usually pretty friendly, and you can find some good deals on some stuff.  As for the other gun stores I've been to-

1) Arms Depot- Pretty friendly guy.  Decent prices too.  The only real problem I had was the clutter.  Still a class act.  The only reason I didn't buy from him was because I got an absolutely incredible deal that I couldn't pass up.

Where is that place?

2) Target World- I never like their range.  Their staff rank up there with the snobbiest gun nazis I've ever come in contact with.  Back when I was just getting into guns, I was planning to buy myself an AR-15.  So, I go in and say "How much do you guys want for that AR-15?"  The guy responds "We don't have any AR-15's."  Confused, I point to one on the rack.  He responds that AR-15's are banned, and that's a Sporter rifle, or some BS like that.  I might as well have been asking him if I could bribe him into making the gun full auto.  I haven't been back since, and bought my AR-15, or Sporter rifle...or whatever it is somewhere else.

Don't know where that place is either, and it looks like I don't want to know

3) New Albany-Not a fan favorite here, I know.  I've never had any real problems there though.  A few isolated incidents where the staff irked me, but other than that... Its a nice range.

Never been there.....

I haven't a clue

5) Ohio Rapid Fire- A lot of clutter.  The guy took my friend's name and phone number and promised to give him a call when PTR-91's came in.  Call it ESP, call it intuition, but as soon as we got back in the car, my friend and I looked at each other and both knew that phone call would never come.

Messy, but customer service is pretty good.  The rebarreled my National Match AR while I waited.

6) Peabody Sports- Really, a pretty nice place. Friendly people who seem to know their guns.  You make an appointment, come in and discuss your options, and they order it for you.  They're also LEO friendly, which was a plus.  If you just want to walk in and fondle guns all day, its not the place for you, but if you're looking to actually purchase a gun, I'd give them a good look.

Where is it?

7) Lauhorner's- I'll post comments later when I'm not still pissed off.  Maybe I was just having a bad day, or they were having a bad day, but I'll give them another chance.

Do tell!!!

As you can tell by my questions, I'm pretty much an Ohio newbie.  I live in Troy, and I don't go east very often.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Cincylance

I need to stop by there.  I think the owner is a Miami Rifle club member.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Where is that place?

---> Corner of Waterveliet and Smithville (Smithville south of 35, on right hand side), if the door was any closer to the curb, crosswalk be his door step.

2) Target World-

---> SE corner of the I-75 & I-275 interchange, you will see a sign the says "HARRYS CORNER" above a cluster of yellow buildings, they right there.

3) New Albany-
Never been there.....

---> Neither have I

I haven't a clue

---> passed there on way home from USPS Air Mail Facility at airport, didn't stop

5) Ohio Rapid Fire-
Messy, but customer service is pretty good.  The rebarreled my National Match AR while I waited.

---> Might walk through every couple month

6) Peabody Sports-
Where is it?

---> Off David Rd in Kettering, on Heampstead Station (where Captain Kidd Drive-In used to be a long time ago)

Do tell!!!

---> Never been there, need to see if they will host a St Valentine Day shoot like Targetworld...

As you can tell by my questions, I'm pretty much an Ohio newbie.  I live in Troy, and I don't go east very often.

Hey neighbor  !
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree with all you said about OE.  Great products.  Helpful staff.  Ridiculous prices on most stuff.

Where is that place?

East side of Dayton. Wilmington/Watervliet, I believe.

North of Cincy. I think "hole in the wall" describes it best

Never been there.....

Northeast of Columbus. Probably 2 hours from Dayton.

I haven't a clue

Where is it?

Kettering.  I think its off Shoop.

Do tell!!!

I'll just say that my experience was that as far as making the customer happy, they could use some pointers.  There's a couple of guys there who seem alright, but man, if I were the manager, I'd be all over a couple of those yahoos.  Maybe they graduated from the NASR school of gun shop customer service.  Making a long story short, there was a disagreement over the privileges of the membership I had already paid for.  Sometimes its not what you say to someone, but how you say it.  I'm not going to let a couple of employees keep me from getting the most out of the membership I already paid for, but cripes.  You'd think they'd try to butter up a member and frequent shooter, but far from it.  Making your members sacrifice free range time which was the only reason I signed up, so that they could farm the range out to a private security class?  That's bull shit.  Still, a kind word goes a long way to prevent wrath.  Apparently the Book of Proverbs is not widely read in Springfield. I was aggitated alright, but not combative.  They really made no effort to explain things to me.  As I told that guy behind the counter that I wasn't aware that everytime I shot, I could only shoot for 30 minutes, then pack up all my guns and range crap, come back out to the counter and ask for another 30 minutes, and then hopefully go back in, I asked if this was some kind of written policy, and if I could see it on the application I filled out.  Well, some other employee opines something to the extent of "Well, he's telling you now!"  My buddy and I were just speechless.  They didn't want to tell us that our "free range" time was going to be dependent on whether other people wanted to rent the range out?  When I said that the "free" range time was the only reason I forked over 100 bucks in the first place, the first guy responded "You got your free one hour coupons didn't you?  And, you get 5 percent of ammo."  5 percent off ammo?  You've gotta be kidding me.  They're selling 20 round boxes of .223 for 5.29!  Yeah, the same crap you can buy at Walmart for 3.99 a box.  Subtract 5 percent from 5.29 and you still don't get 3.99.  

Afterwards, my friend and I talked about the day's events.  Still going to keep going there since we already paid for it, and its pretty much the only place close we can shoot handguns.  Still..if anyone from Lauhorner's comes here, I'd have a talk with the troops.  I'm not the only one who's had an experience like this there.  I guess they figured they already had my money, so they didn't need to go out of their way to make me happy.  I've been a cop in Dayton for sometime, and I don't even talk to people I arrest in such a condescending manner.

To be fair, my friend did have a question about the gun he had, and they answered it pretty well to the best of their ability.  We didn't have any idea what the make of this gun was, and they tried pretty reasonably well to find the answer.  So, that tells me its not all bad.  But man, I'm still a little peeved by it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#15]
The one I miss was good old Zan's Gun Rack on High street,  Nothing like one foot Isles crowded with thousands of rifles, shotguns, BB guns, muskets, helmets, rotwilers.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The one I miss was good old Zan's Gun Rack on High street,  Nothing like one foot Isles crowded with thousands of rifles, shotguns, BB guns, muskets, helmets, rotwilers.  

Rest in peace, Zane. What a neat old guy, and it still sickens me to think after a lifetime of collecting and operating that business, teenage shitbags took it all away.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]
In The Cincinnati area...

One Shot (Newtown)
A+  
A great shop, black gun friendly, growing in leaps and bounds.  Been buying there more and more often, especially since its only 5 min away from fiancee's place .  Chris, the owner, posts here sometimes, and his employees pay attention to you.

Shooter's Supply (Loveland)
A  
All around store fought the good fight to change exiting discharge laws in Loveland to get a range

Target World (Sharonville)
C-/D
Prices are crap, range is not so safe, no first aid kit on hand, service sometimes suck, no parts in any numbers

Bass Pro Shop (Fairfield)
B
Prices are middling, service ok, selection poor, good deals on ammo sometimes

Dick's Sporting Goods (Several Locations)
C
Service sort of OK, sometimes the have good deals on ammo, gun selection runs hunting rifles and shotguns and rimfire
Note:  The "Cincinnati Store" on Montgomery Road does not carry any guns while the Western Hills location does)

Costello's Gun Shop Inc. (Galbrath Rd)
No opinion, was in it once briefly...

Aim Surplus (Middletown)
A-
Great ammo source and AR/AK parts...and some used and limited supply of rifles and pistols

Milford Gun Shop (Milford)
B/C
Used to go there a fair amount when I lived on the East Side and visited the Milford Gun Club with a friend that was a member.  Been a while.  A hole in the wall at the time, prices were more reasonable back in the late 80s/early 90s (but then I think most were better then).  Run of the mill at the time.  Anyone been lately?

If you live near the River and travel to Ketucky you have three well known places...

RCL Shooting Supplies (Erlanger)
C/D
I give them a C because their prices on used guns are usually good and they do consignment so sometimes you can find a deal.  The place is a hole in the wall for certain with a poor selection of guns, and crapful ammo prices.  If you hang around long enough to talk you can hear them bitch about anyone of a number of other dealers, manufacturers, or ranges.

Mark's Guns (Florence)
C/D
A nice selection of firearms and a range.  Prices are HIGH on almost everything including range time.  They get a D because of their crappy service, poor attitude, and while the may have a clean store, the fat dude eating donuts on Saturday mornings...

Pete Gerret Gunsmith (Newport)
A
Pete can be a jackass if you think you know more than him (regardless of whether you might or not), but he runs a tight ship and does good work on guns.  I like the guy though.  He also has a fairly reasonable priced and WIDE range of used and C&R long guns...a few pistols, but those are usually crap.  Like most of Newport it is a dark place and dirty.  Price for work is good, ammo is middle range.  Pete has tackled gun control issues in the area and is running for County Commissioner.

Land, Sea, Air (Newport)
A/C
A female owned and operated surplus store that also has a selection of firearms.  Good terms with local police.  Prices are average except for old bolt guns, then the prices are high, especially for Enfields and Mausers.  Ammo prices blow.  They get an A because the place is super clean and easy to get to and some of the surplus is very reasonable....C is because its not really a gun store.

These are my ratings and listings...there are probably a dozen more in Tri-State area, but I have never gone to browse or shop at them.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not a big fan of the Sportsmans Den, the Shelby Mall(Glens' surplus) is waaaaaaaay cooler.

Fin Feather Fur, is ok, I live 10 minutes from it. Only thing that pisses me off about their store is the stairs that lead up to the guns. The stairs are the most awkward, shortest step height I ve ever walked on.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rest in peace, Zane. What a neat old guy, and it still sickens me to think after a lifetime of collecting and operating that business, teenage shitbags took it all away.

Yep, I miss ole Zane, he was a nice guy with the most amazing collection of stuff that you couldn't buy.... Not that it wasn't for sale mind you, it was just impossible to reach any of it.. The guy knew guns as well, if he didn't know there was usually a book nearby that had the answer..
   I and Swingset were fortunate enough to go to several of the auctions... That was an experience!  The auctioneer told me at the last auction that there had been over 12,000 individual lots sold over 6 separate auctions.

RIP Zane Wilson...

Mike
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:21:16 AM EDT
[#20]
As far as I'm concerned, every gunshop in Dayton SUCKS!

I am known to frequent Butts & Barrels in Springfield. The owner is way cool and his prices are better than Gander Mountain or any other gunshop in Dayton.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Any feedback regarding Tactical Solutions in Sidney?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:24:36 AM EDT
[#22]
My favorite is probably:

Champion Shooters Supply in New Albany (are they still there??).  They specialize in highpower and rimfire target shooting.  Last I was there they had a good supply of powder/primers and bullets.  Usually some Springfield M1A's and Anshutz rimfires in stock.  They were always happy to order something for me if they didn't have it in stock.  

Not favorite....Gander Mountain in Reynoldsburg.  Had $800 burning a hole in my pocket last December and wanted a Springfield 1911.  Waited 30 minutes and still wasn't helped by anyone.  To be fair...there were two people buying ahead of me, but it was taking a very long time. I left and bought a ParaOrd at Ohio Valley in Lancaster.  Pretty bad when you want to spend some dough, but nobody gives a damn if they take your money or not.  Good friend buys all his guns at Gander though.  He just makes sure to go there at the time the store opens so that no other customers are there.

Vances in Columbus...hate them.  Really unfriendly in my experience.  Act like they could give a damn if they sell you seomthing or not.  Need to visit Buckeye Outdoors (affiliate) to see what their attitude is like.

NASR in  New Albany...had difficuly getting waited on once.  Prices high, but high end guns are sold there.  I mean...where else can you find Wilson 1911's in the showcase?

Jeff
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:34:45 AM EDT
[#23]
What we need here is a big state map with push pins with letters to show the location of all these places.  Then a guide with all of the places listed with descriptions and ratings.  Yeah, that would be cool.  

I think the days of the really cool local gun shop are gone forever.  I mean the type with lots and lots of guns in stock all the time.  It's just too expensive to carry that kind of inventory when everybody compares prices online.  So I'll miss the old musty gun shops, but won't be too sad because now I can shop from home and have access to an inventory that no shop in the world could possibly hold.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Up here in NW Ohio, my fav. is ADCO in Sylvania.  I buy all of my AR stuff there.  
Great selection, service, & prices.  Plus, it's only a 1/2 hr. away.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#25]
What about Vandailia Range and Armory?

Is that place open yet?

I have to run down that way today, I might just stop in and take a look around.

And,

Troy guys, I your neighbor from up north! (Piqua)

Don't hold that against me though.

-AJ
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Vance's- pretty good prices, good service.  I never really asked any questions so I don't know about their product knowledge.  They always have "6 months same as cash" and once a year have "12 months".  I think they are pretty friendly and helpful, even though they are always busy.

I have bought 4 handguns from them.

Butts and Barrells- friendly, good service, knowledgable.  I haven't been there since he moved.  

Got a pretty good deal on a Kel-Tec P11, there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#27]
1 - One Shot
2 - Shooters Supply
3 - Target World
4 - Dicks Sporting Goods
5 - Wal-Mart
6 - Bass Pro Shops
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Ohio Valley Trading in Nelsonville: Pawn/Gun/Hunting store, with a decent selection, friendly staff and some decent deals. Nothing to write home about, but a good shop if you're in the area.

+1  Don't forget their Athens store.  Their Logan store isn't much to write home about, though.

BuckeyeOhio Valley Outdoors in Lancaster: Good shop, very similar to Vances/Buckeye OD, but a tad smaller. Great range, friendly staff and decent prices on new guns.

Another +1.  That's the range I normally go to if the weather is bad, or want to shoot handguns.  I'm not sure of the details, but somehow Ohio Valley Outdoors in Lancaster is connected to the Ohio Valley Trading stores in Athens, Logan, and Nelsonville.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#29]
At vances it kinda depends on who you talk to.  There are some really nice guys who know what they are talking about and if they don't they tell you that, however there are one or two who will spin you quite the yarn to make a sale and CLEARLY have no idea what they're talking about.  It's been a really long time since I bought anything new there, but I've gotten a number of used deals there and its worth stopping in everytime I'm in town just to check out what they have in the used rack

New Albany is downright horrible.  They've got a nice range, but I just got tired of sales people who were rude, had no idea of what they were talking about and out right lied.  Best example is when one of my friends was looking for an AK, we called up New Albany and inquired into their stock.  Was informed that they had "Bulgarian AK's with paratrooper stocks."  Excited by the prospect we set out on the long journey up to new albany.  Upon arriving we inquire about the bulgarians and are handed a WASR-10 with Tapco furniture.  Undeterred we have them look around a bit more and when no Bulgy's turn up my friend asked if they'd come down a bit from the $470 price tag on the WASR since they didn't have any Bulgy's and he was told that they did.  At this point the sales clerk responded with "Well, I don't see what your problem is.  Romanian, Bulgarian, they're all middle eastern countries who make AK's whats the difference?"  Which, not only showed the fact that he flunked 7th grade geography but also that he hadn't a clue about AK's.  Which, the fact that you don't know can be forgiven if you admit it and go find someone who does, but no effort was made and nor did he seem interested in knowing that there was a difference...  This also embodies the experiences I've had there in the past there with made up prices to get me to buy whats in the case and wild tales about what to get and what not to get.  Its no longer worth the drive to be insulted by the staff and the high prices.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Stopped in at Vandailia Range and Armory...

They open Feb 10th.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My favorite is probably:

Champion Shooters Supply in New Albany (are they still there??).  They specialize in highpower and rimfire target shooting.  Last I was there they had a good supply of powder/primers and bullets.  Usually some Springfield M1A's and Anshutz rimfires in stock.  They were always happy to order something for me if they didn't have it in stock.  

Oh yeah, they are still there.  Good 'ol fashioned sales and service.  Plus you can actually fondle the uber cool $3K Anschutz rigs.

They even had a NIB Bushy M4gery for a decent price last time I was there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

They open Feb 10th.

Any good?  I've heard that if you want to use their range, you MUST buy their ammo.  If their ammo prices are the same as most other ranges I've been to, that little racket kills the range for me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Cincylance

Cuz I was in bed when this thread started and just got home from work

Brian, the website is www.oneshotonline.com.  I'll probably be stopping by there tomorrow and ask Chris while I'm there.

SWO_daddy- yes, Chris is a member there.  Hopefully I'll be a member there too after next month
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#34]
1) Norton Gun Store, at 23N and 229, just North of Delaware at the state park. Nice little gunstore that has a pretty decent selection of stuff they take in used and on consignment, and you can find great deals there.

2) BlackWing Shooting Center is pretty nice and the staff are relatively knowledgeable, although I think as a rule people in the gun sales business argue too much about things they have no clue on.

3) Gander Mountain, Hilliard has pretty helpful people, and good prices, except you have to get a permit to buy anything.

4) The internet, my favorite place to buy, by far...

Vances is a PITA, and in my experience you get treated like shit until you buy something, but that lasts only while you're buying. I looked at a PSL/FPK a few weeks ago and the guy literally told me "A lot of American soldier have died because of that rifle." I told him far more died by IED's, but I was like, WTF is your point dumbass?!? Is the rifle accurate because it kills our soldiers so I should buy it, or am I unpatriotic for wanting it? What grand salesmanship!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
SWO_daddy- yes, Chris is a member there.  Hopefully I'll be a member there too after next month

Ya gonna shoot highpower?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:3) Gander Mountain, Hilliard has pretty helpful people, and good prices, except you have to get a permit to buy anything.

A permit?  WTF!!!!  WHY?  Hilliard is not KKKolumbus.  Or is it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:3) Gander Mountain, Hilliard has pretty helpful people, and good prices, except you have to get a permit to buy anything.

A permit?  WTF!!!!  WHY?  Hilliard is not KKKolumbus.  Or is it?

The Hilliard store is in the Corporation limits of Kolumbus, the Reynoldsburg store is not though.

corporation limit is the tan color
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#38]
i would like to say a thing or two about unfriendly gun shops. i was the asst manager at a well stocked store. we tried to be nice to everyone. i dont know how many loaded guns i had pulled out of purses, paper bags and pockets. pointed right at me. then asked how does this work? what kind of bullets does this take? so when people come up to me in the store with there hands in there pockets or purses i do kinda look at them with a cautious look on my face. i had one guy so set on using the powder and primer he had i was sure he was going to die. i told him you dont have a load that fits that primer and powder for your load. he would just not listen. then when he gets hurt his lawyer will be back swearing we told him his load would work. we had one guys attorny office call on a freaking fishing poll incident. then there's the guy with the gun that wont work. then the guy says fix it. i say this will cost you xx number of dollars and he says no way. i will just take it back to k mart where i bought it. this guy really thinks k mart is going to fix your gun.  he beleaves we owe it to him to fix the gun for free when we didnt even sell it to him. i have had customers but in on a gun sale or a gun buy. causing us to loose the sale or buy. then this person didnt buy any thing either. i had to call the cops to get a few  guys to leave the store. thats hard money the store lost. we needed that cash  to pay the taxs, salaries, light bill, and a host of other things related to running a business. it takes alot to keep the doors open. so please when you go to a gun shop next time.  remember we are people to. we like the gun sports to. and you dont know what the customer / person in front of you said or did.  this gun store did close. i bet the kids at the local k mart sporting goods section got alot of in depth questions that they had no idea how to answer.  just my 2 cents. not wanting  to hi jack this thread.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Up here in NW Ohio, my fav. is ADCO in Sylvania.  I buy all of my AR stuff there.  
Great selection, service, & prices.  Plus, it's only a 1/2 hr. away.

ADCO is my fav to, Steve is cool and its only 10min away from me
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They open Feb 10th.

Any good?  I've heard that if you want to use their range, you MUST buy their ammo.  If their ammo prices are the same as most other ranges I've been to, that little racket kills the range for me.

I didnt' go in or anything but that is what their policy said on thier website.    I saw it wasn't open yet so I left.

Somebody else on this site claimed that the owner was going to be competitive with Walmart in terms of ammo prices, so as long as I can get me a case of 40 or 45 (140ish and 160ish respectivley) for a reasonable value, I won't have a problem shooting there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quote:

Corner of Waterveliet and Smithville (Smithville south of 35, on right hand side), if the door was any closer to the curb, crosswalk be his door step

West on Watervliet a half block from Arms Depot there's a pawn shop carrying HUNDREDS of guns. There's no ammo or camo and only a little bit of service and crack-smoker's pricing, but still there's a lot to look at, and you just might catch a deal.

Out in the deep burbs where I live there's a couple of new gun stores that bear looking into - Clubb House Arms in Morrow, and W.B. Hickok's, a few miles north of Morrow on 3C.

Country Cottage in South Lebanon is OK, as  is the place- I don't remember the name - out on 727 near Washington Court House.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
so please when you go to a gun shop next time.  remember we are people to. we like the gun sports to. and you dont know what the customer / person in front of you said or did.

I can appreciate that, but at the same time, gun store owners/employees are there by their own choice, and they need to serve their customers. Equate this to a restaurant; You open it because you like to cook food and make people happy, but in time you have to deal with morons, people who skip out without paying, or stiff you on the tip. If you let this get to you and you stop having any real customer service, you will end up closed. Basic customer service will do more for some of these gun stores than anything else.

It's not a customers fault the person before them was a moron, and as a customer you should be treated well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#43]
#1  ADCO-  Cool gear, close to home, good prices!  Wins my web site design award too.  

#2  Vances-  Grew up there and know a lot of the old timers.   I remember when it was not just guns/hunting!  Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with them and negotiate a better price.  It never hurts to ask.  I got a heck of a price reduction on a Nikon scope there as an 18y.o. kid, because I was polite and asked for the better deal...

#3  Champion Shooter's Supply-  Carl was hard to get to know but would take care of you...  Not the most glamorous shop, but he'd get you anything you wanted and quick.

Now for my 3 worst:

#3  Gander Mountain Springfield Twp?(Toledo area)  Typical Gander Moutain DisService...

#2  Clelands-  Come on NW Ohio, no one loves Clelands?  I don't know where to start.  Maybe the elitest attitude?

#1  NASR-  I've been insuled there more times than I can count.  Maybe the attitude has changed...  I'm probably not going to find out any time soon though
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Quote:

Corner of Waterveliet and Smithville (Smithville south of 35, on right hand side), if the door was any closer to the curb, crosswalk be his door step

Is Ace's music store right around the corner from that?

I've seen that place on the way to Ace's but I've never stopped in there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#45]
hi fallschirmjager,  not all gun stores or gun store customers are the same. you try and have good customer service but, some times it just isnt enough.  what do you consider good customer service? lets say a guy comes into look at a $300.00 rifle. it has a 10% mark up on it. so your going to make $30.00 bucks on the sale. you have a shop with 10 or more customers waiting in line. how much time are you able to spend with this guy? 30 minutes. 1 hour. 2 hours. does he take offense when you have to go help other paying customers? who will start to leave because you have spent all that time with one customer.  who may or may not buy anything. there time is valuable to them to. so how many customers dont you help in order to make this $30.00 bucks? how much money does the gun shop lose? then they tell there friends you have bad service. then he says you are rude because you didnt spend more time with him listening to him. hanging on his every word.   this type guy is not supporting you or the gun shop.  then theres the guy thats in every week. you spend hours and hours with him and he never buys any thing. you show him every gun in the shop. he just comes in and looks and has his buddy with the ffl order it for him. how much time do you spend with him over other customers who are going to buy from you? i dont think its fair to equate a restaurant to a gun shop.  when a customer comes into a restaurant they BUY SOMETHING.  next time your in a gun shop. look around. watch the people. notice how many come in look around. grab a free gun brochure. ask questions and leave with out BUYING ANYTHING. i think its safe to say a restaurant makes at least 50% on there sales.  they have more floor traffic and only limited contact with the customer.  the customer actually BUYS something every time at a restaurant. .  he doesnt pick the waitress's brain fot 2 hours for free technial information on how to reassemble a bolt on a hk-91 rifle. if people like having a gun shop nearby. they should support it. if you dont you should be prepared for a long drive to a  city that can support a gun shop.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I found this -- Ohio Gun Shops
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I found this -- Ohio Gun Shops

I have seen that used on a motorcycle website where members can locate themselves on a map for reference.

BMW K Bikes
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
hi fallschirmjager,  not all gun stores or gun store customers are the same. you try and have good customer service but, some times it just isnt enough.  what do you consider good customer service? lets say a guy comes into look at a $300.00 rifle. it has a 10% mark up on it. so your going to make $30.00 bucks on the sale. you have a shop with 10 or more customers waiting in line. how much time are you able to spend with this guy? 30 minutes. 1 hour. 2 hours. does he take offense when you have to go help other paying customers? who will start to leave because you have spent all that time with one customer.  who may or may not buy anything. there time is valuable to them to. so how many customers dont you help in order to make this $30.00 bucks? how much money does the gun shop lose? then they tell there friends you have bad service. then he says you are rude because you didnt spend more time with him listening to him. hanging on his every word.   this type guy is not supporting you or the gun shop.  then theres the guy thats in every week. you spend hours and hours with him and he never buys any thing. you show him every gun in the shop. he just comes in and looks and has his buddy with the ffl order it for him. how much time do you spend with him over other customers who are going to buy from you? i dont think its fair to equate a restaurant to a gun shop.  when a customer comes into a restaurant they BUY SOMETHING.  next time your in a gun shop. look around. watch the people. notice how many come in look around. grab a free gun brochure. ask questions and leave with out BUYING ANYTHING. i think its safe to say a restaurant makes at least 50% on there sales.  they have more floor traffic and only limited contact with the customer.  the customer actually BUYS something every time at a restaurant. .  he doesnt pick the waitress's brain fot 2 hours for free technial information on how to reassemble a bolt on a hk-91 rifle. if people like having a gun shop nearby. they should support it. if you dont you should be prepared for a long drive to a  city that can support a gun shop.

There is nothing unique about the gun business, that other sales and merchande retailers can't claim too.....from rude customers, to nitpickers, to time wasters, hagglers on and on and on. Yet, somehow, other industries seem to be able to grasp the concept of good service, and a friendly face when a customer enters the business.

But, you know what's funny, and all of us can relate to this.....firearms businesses are habitually crappy at customer service.

It all comes down to one simple, singular method of doing business....and it was coined by a fast food restaurant. Service with a smile. Be friendly, be helpful, to each and every customer whether they are a pain in the butt or not - because even they have the power to walk out of your store and keep others out too. And, likewise, the ones you DO impress will bring in many more friends and loyalty along with it.

If you can't understand or master this simple customer relatiotions technique, you don't deserve success. If you're too proud, or dense, or stubborn to treat a new face through the door with manners, then you SHOULD fail.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:12:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Aces is on the other (South) side of Watervliet. Arms Depot and the nasty pawn shop are on the North side of Watervliet.

There's another gun store called Jim's not far from there. Unfortunately, I can drive it better than I can give directions to it.

Go east a few miles from Smithville on 35 to Research Blvd. Follow that around - keep going right. Look for Patterson and drive more-or-less west and look for a dumpy plaza - he's in there. I think that's Beavercreek. He's not far from the Ford dealership.

He has a HUGE ammo selection, but his prices are horrible. He used to have virtual MOUNTAINS of trash and magazines and boxes and piles of holsters and shit scattered out all over the floor. He jabbered constantly - wouldn't shut up for even ten seconds. He got on meds and hired someone to help him, and now it's more or less presentable in there.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hi fallschirmjager,  not all gun stores or gun store customers are the same. you try and have good customer service but, some times it just isnt enough.  what do you consider good customer service? lets say a guy comes into look at a $300.00 rifle. it has a 10% mark up on it. so your going to make $30.00 bucks on the sale. you have a shop with 10 or more customers waiting in line. how much time are you able to spend with this guy? 30 minutes. 1 hour. 2 hours. does he take offense when you have to go help other paying customers? who will start to leave because you have spent all that time with one customer.  who may or may not buy anything. there time is valuable to them to. so how many customers dont you help in order to make this $30.00 bucks? how much money does the gun shop lose? then they tell there friends you have bad service. then he says you are rude because you didnt spend more time with him listening to him. hanging on his every word.   this type guy is not supporting you or the gun shop.  then theres the guy thats in every week. you spend hours and hours with him and he never buys any thing. you show him every gun in the shop. he just comes in and looks and has his buddy with the ffl order it for him. how much time do you spend with him over other customers who are going to buy from you? i dont think its fair to equate a restaurant to a gun shop.  when a customer comes into a restaurant they BUY Interesting discussionOMETHING.  next time your in a gun shop. look around. watch the people. notice how many come in look around. grab a free gun brochure. ask questions and leave with out BUYING ANYTHING. i think its safe to say a restaurant makes at least 50% on there sales.  they have more floor traffic and only limited contact with the customer.  the customer actually BUYS something every time at a restaurant. .  he doesnt pick the waitress's brain fot 2 hours for free technial information on how to reassemble a bolt on a hk-91 rifle. if people like having a gun shop nearby. they should support it. if you dont you should be prepared for a long drive to a  city that can support a gun shop.

There is nothing unique about the gun business, that other sales and merchande retailers can't claim too.....from rude customers, to nitpickers, to time wasters, hagglers on and on and on. Yet, somehow, other industries seem to be able to grasp the concept of good service, and a friendly face when a customer enters the business.

But, you know what's funny, and all of us can relate to this.....firearms businesses are habitually crappy at customer service.

It all comes down to one simple, singular method of doing business....and it was coined by a fast food restaurant. Service with a smile. Be friendly, be helpful, to each and every customer whether they are a pain in the butt or not - because even they have the power to walk out of your store and keep others out too. And, likewise, the ones you DO impress will bring in many more friends and loyalty along with it.

If you can't understand or master this simple customer relatiotions technique, you don't deserve success. If you're too proud, or dense, or stubborn to treat a new face through the door with manners, then you SHOULD fail.

Maybe this deserves its own thread.  Interesting discussion and I can understand both points of view.  I have known the "time wasters" and the folks who come into the store just to have someone to talk to.  Really....that happens.  But you also have to learn to shed these guys and get to the ones who have money to spend on that day.  I have bought guns for about 25 years and gun shops have, by far, the worst customer service attitude of any business I have ever dealt with.  A generalization and there are exceptions, but what I usually find are disinterested and "hostile" store clerks who seem to care less if you buy or not.  If I am considering spending $500 to $1500 for a product, I feel I deserve a friendly helpful attitude from the store clerk.  Don't know what else to say about that.  More discussion about this????

Jeff
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top