Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/21/2005 12:27:59 PM EDT
i've got a preban upper right now since i'll be moving to illinois...but i have decided to go ahead and make my 1st AR AWB compliant, so i can shoot it when i come home to NJ. are there ranges that prohibit use of muzzle brakes? since they usually cause more noise and blast than a flashhider? will i piss off my fellow range-mates with a muzzle brake?

thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:14:05 PM EDT
Never have heard of such a thing, at least here in IL. You might get some complaints if you are shooting the rifle inddors, but there are precious few indoor rifle ranges in IL to begin with, and no prohibitions against muzzle breaks that I am personally aware of.

Dawg
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:54:59 PM EDT
I have a DSA FAL with one of their muzzle brakes on it and it is very annoying for people on either side of me for ten feet. If I can get the POS to feed right I'll change it to a flash suppressor. It is actually almost as bad as a .50.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:32:15 PM EDT
why don't you swap back and forth between the brake and flash hider...

or do the ARFCOM thing and buy a whole new upper for NJ use...:)
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:50:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By handyandy:
I have a DSA FAL with one of their muzzle brakes on it and it is very annoying for people on either side of me for ten feet. If I can get the POS to feed right I'll change it to a flash suppressor. It is actually almost as bad as a .50.

Andy, you should let me take a look at that FAL sometime. If I didn't know you better, I'd blame it on a mag. I am really sickened by DSA's crap lately. I love it when I explain to them that I bought my first FAL kit from Dave at the old Lake County Show back in 92 and that I don't need their fucking attitude. Time was DSA would fix anything that had the letters "DSA" stamped on it, guess that's changing.

Muzzle brakes are loud and worthless. Notice that now that the ban is dead muzzle rise isn't an issue many are too concerned with anymore?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:07:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 5:44:41 AM EDT by chillindrdude]
i think the issue is that NJ prohibits threaded barrels with FHs...if i get a muzzle brake, it'll have to be pinned and welded on

damn i wished i could afford a LMT MRP...so i can just swap out barrels

i'll consider getting a post ban upper...thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:36:37 AM EDT
Thanks Patriot, I think I have fixed it, I'll find out at Buffalo Rock next month. I just opened up the receiver a bit above the mag opening. If that works I'll put on a nice FH. the good thing is that the rifle is SUPER accurate, even with the huge rear apeture.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:24:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By patriot73:

Andy, you should let me take a look at that FAL sometime. If I didn't know you better, I'd blame it on a mag. I am really sickened by DSA's crap lately. I love it when I explain to them that I bought my first FAL kit from Dave at the old Lake County Show back in 92 and that I don't need their fucking attitude. Time was DSA would fix anything that had the letters "DSA" stamped on it, guess that's changing.

Muzzle brakes are loud and worthless. Notice that now that the ban is dead muzzle rise isn't an issue many are too concerned with anymore?

I just recenlty purchased from DSA, not a FAL, but a DS-AR rifle. So hope I have no problems.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:47:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ghostwalker:

Originally Posted By patriot73:

I just recenlty purchased from DSA, not a FAL, but a DS-AR rifle. So hope I have no problems.

You won't have any problems. DSA is a top flight company. HandyAndy and I had a conversation at a gunshow about his particular situation. I will ley him explain it if he wants to.
Top Top