Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 11:21:04 AM EDT
Posted this in the Disscussion but some one said try it here. Looking for a nice or not so nice range where I can bring own targets (stuffed animals T.V.'s) and will let me really let the rifle loose (rapid fire) grew up here in the 80's but went in USAF so havent lived here in about 10 years. I have been to most of the ranges in the area but they wont let me bring fun stuff to shoot at. I used to go and shoot up in the NE side of town but they went and put houses on that land. And by the way any groups in the area that go out and shoot regularly? any input apprecitated.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I go shooting at Blackhawk on the SouthWest side of town. They don't allow rapid fire... trust me. A Place to Shoot on the Southside doesn't allow rapid either, but is the only place in town that I know of to shoot clays. Only one that might let you is Bullet Hole on the Westside of town. I know they use to rent out class 3 items. I'm not sure if they still do or not.

I live about 10 min from Seaworld. There are a few members here in town.. maybe 12 total.

The only place I know of that does any type of compitition shooting is Blackhawk. I know they have glock shoots and I think IDPA along with cowboy shoots. Blackhawk also has there own little compition shoots. One of the members here participates in them. Maybe he'll chime in a little later.

I haven't had any trigger time in a while. If ya want to get together feel free to send me an IM.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Forget bullet hole.  They're idiots.  If I cussed, I'd call them something else.  RNYC and myself used to go there and it seemed like each time they had a different rule.  THEY'RE IDIOTS and every chance I get I'll bad mouth them.
I go to BlackHawk and like it a whole lot better.  IF you do find one here in San Antonio that will let you rapid fire, let me know.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Forget bullet hole.  They're idiots.  If I cussed, I'd call them something else.  RNYC and myself used to go there and it seemed like each time they had a different rule.  THEY'RE IDIOTS and every chance I get I'll bad mouth them.
I go to BlackHawk and like it a whole lot better.  IF you do find one here in San Antonio that will let you rapid fire, let me know.  

You have a point about them being idiots. But they were the only people I knew of that might allow rapid fire and non-paper targets. Ehh, I figured I'd at least tell him about it since he said a "not so nice range." Last time I was out there was over 2 years ago. I couldn't stand the fact that the grass was usually higher than the targets on the rifle range.

Maybe we can all meet up for a little shoot some weekend at blackhawk?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]
We put on an IDPA match the 3rd Sunday of every month at Blackhawk. We would love to have y'all come out. Also if you want to shoot your ARs or other defensive rifles check out this thread.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=169816

Or check out our website for mor info:

mywebpage.netscape.com/texastactical/tx.html

Come on out you will have a great time!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It hasn't changed much out at the Bullet hole. The grass has been cut but for some reason the individuals that go out their scare me with the way they handle their weapons. Watched one individual let his 5 yr grandson shoot the shooting bench with a lever action 22, and others like to look thru their sights while Iam down range. Got a little up set at that one.  Thats where I go because of conveance to house. But I think that I will check out Blackhawk just because I havent been their yet and its not to much futher away. Thanks for the offer to get togeather we will have to set a time and a place. My job keeps me busy (A MTI or a DI to the Marines and army)Also will keep up the search for the Holy Grail of ranges or areas to let loose. thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
We are having an IDPA match this Sunday out at Blackhawk if you or any other ARFcomers are interested. We sure would love to have y'all!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Sparsky,
I know what you mean about the grass.  The only thing I miss is being able to shoot at 200 and 300 yard range.  Of course that's with a scope, since my eyes couldn't see out to 300 yard.  When I get a chance to go, it's usually Monday mornings, and I have the whole place to myself at BlackHawk.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Ah, the old Bullet Hole.  Vernon Hester still running that place?  I remember when it had no cover and was an oppressive place in the summer heat.  

I stopped going there after the "accident" that killed his son Michael...'twas no accident in my book.  That no-good skank who did it was peddeling drugs and I could see it Vernon's kids.  Only the survivor's story is known and it goes a little like this.  Mike was tending shop at the range office (1/2 mile from the house) when his skank friend shows up.  Mike pointed a gun at her (unbelieveable for Mike) and she picks up his P 226, pulling the trigger thinking it was not loaded.  It hit him in the head and she ran.  Mom couldn't reach Mike on the phone so she goes to the office, finding him on the floor bleeding.  Mike died the next day in the hospital.

I remember when "Theresa" came over after a shoot...and Michael bet her she wouldn't strip...she did for $5.00.  Mike wouldn't give her her clothes back.  Nasty skank and she had the nerve to call me skinny.  She quickly changed her opinion when she needed a ride home.

No, I haven't been back.  Nor do I want to.  Place gives me the creeps.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Last time I went out to Bullet Hole was when his old trailier home burned down. I think that was back in 97 or so. I helped to try and put it out, but it was too far gone.

RTA.. I'm looking for a range over 100yds myself. If anyone knows of a 500yd range within an hour drive, I'd like to know.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, Vernon has some bad juju following him.  I remember the trailer...it had always been the only "improvement" until he had the dozer make the berms.

That place was one hell of a snake pit and I do not know how he manages to turn a profit.

Back to the "Theresa" story.  At first she thought she was hot stuff and I was just a little too ectomorphic for her tastes...that changed after dark when she needed a ride home.  Mike and his sister were warning me in private but I assured them Theresa was NOT on my RADAR at all.  Sure enough, the little wench thinks she is going to lie her way to my heart.  First was how her "husband" was a member of some drug cartel and was killed on his boat in Miami by the feds.  Right...she looks barely dry behind the ears.  Then she claims to have had three miscarriages from this "husband".  Right.  Even if they were first trimester, the hormone effect would be noticable on the parts of her body I had seen earlier that night.

I can say with absolute confidence, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman...girl, Theresa."  BTW, there was a 30-something woman on the league who pretended to be my fiancee the next time Theresa dropped by for a visit. And this pretend finacee could shoot!!! Yes, Theresa wanted me something bad.  Probably because I rejected her.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been to the Bullethole (2001/2002), and it was nice to be able to shoot a MP5SD3 and a MP5A3, but the platform from which the rifle shooters fire is/was a little rickety, and the fact that the range itself is an impact range (instead of shooting into a nice little backstop if you miss the target, your round keeps going) just didn't seem very safe.

I would like to see another range open up here (something that I can shoot more than 100/200, or one on which I could practice doubletaps, moving to and from cover, reloads, etc.) because I've always been more interested in the combat skills involved.  Punching paper, slow fire, from 100 yards on a nice rest or bags with little stress is pretty easy.  Firing on the move (forwards or backwards), mag changes, etc. with accuracy is something much more difficult, and in most ways more fun to try and master.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Zmeja,

I haven't been shooting for a while before last weekend.  Anyway, at Blackhawk, I know Scott pretty well, and he gives me some "space" on the ranges.  Transitions, backpeddling etc used to be something I practiced.  Getting back at it now.  To use the rifle range up close and personal, I go during the week right after work.  Park the vehicles at about 50 yds from rests.  But, of course, the rifle range must be deserted for me to do this.  For me that means I get there about 5 pm.  If you want to meet me there, drop me a note or call 210.659.0147.

How about coming out to TT's IDPA/Shotgun match tomorrow?  I'll be there.

edit:  Sparsky had some bad times there a while back- I've had nothing but good times.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
only reason I had a bad time cause one i was doing controled double taps with my AK and I got yelled at for rapid fire. And the other time he said I was shooting over the berm when I know damn well I wasn't.

I still don't know what's wrong with controled double taps out of my rifle.. but I guess.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Sparsky,
You told me once but I don't remember- who at the range gave you a hard time?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Don,

Nope, I won't be able to go to the IDPA match tomorrow.  I, according to Kitchen 6 (aka, the wife), only get to sham out of church one Sunday a month, and I did that two weeks ago.

I may take you up on heading out to Blackhawk during the week.  I'm looking to do a little bit of practice for some of the carbine matches with Texas Tactical.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#16]
It was scott. I think he only minds if it's out of a rifle. Cause I always hear fast pistol fire and he never says anything to them. I hope he won't mind when I get my 1911 out there. I'm gunna be shootin lots of double taps with it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Sparsky,
You must've caught him on a bad hair day, or something.  Me and a friend used to do transitions (rifle/pistol) on the rifle range a lot.  Double taps, all kinds of junk.  Maybe you, Zmeja and I can meet there.  During the week is best in the early after noon-sort of deserted.  Let me know.

Zmeja,
"Kitchen 6"- cool name.  Drop me a note when you're ready.

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:26:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I think the only bad days for me this week is today (monday), wed and sat. Let me know and I'll meet yall out there after work. Oh, my work ends at 4pm.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Wilco.  I usually don't get to leave work until 6pm, but I'm sure I can get a couple hours off one afternoon, every so often.

Thursday or Friday may work for me this week.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#20]
If you wanna get up close and personal with the targets on the rifle range, you gotta go during the week- usually no one shoots rifle then.  I can go any day this week.  Soonest I can get there is 4:30 p.m.  (forgot I was working at USAA- they won't allow you on their property with weapons in vehicle, so gotta go home first.

Ya'll pick the day; I'll be there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#21]
well i'm down for thurs or friday. LMK
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, let's set on Friday, around 5 pm.  I'll be coming from downtown, and have to find the place first.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Friday 5 pm sounds good to me.

I may get there earlier.  If you see a silver Ford 150 at about the 50 yd line of the range, that'll probably be me.  Unless it's not me.

Need directions?  Where you driving from?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#24]
okie dokie, I'm there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#25]
No directions needed, since I got them off of MapQuest (or whereever Texas Tactical got theirs).

I just haven't driven down that way before.

So, do I need to bring my own targets?  Can we transition to pistol?  etc.?

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Zmeja,
Saw your post and went and called Scott at the range.  He said "no problem" for transitions.  But...  the SWAT team has been making unannounced visits to the range for training.  Scott said if they are there, we will have to move with them.  IE when they are moving fwd, shooting, we must also.
Of course, all this is subject to change, etc.  

Targets:  they sell them, but I have a membership, and get some free.  I also bring Shoot n Sees.  Here's their number 622.9620.  Scott is there now.

See you Friday.

Also, TT is having a 3 gun match in Johnson City on Sat 24 May.  Sign up 0930, hammer down 1000.  These are a blast.  I'm going- anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I found out I'm off Friday for sure. How early you going to be out there Backstop? Maybe I'll show up early too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Sparsky,
I probably will get there about 5.  Maybe earlier- depends on traffic.

You going to the 3 Gun in Johnson City?

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry but no. I don't own any pistols yet. I might go to the one in July. I should have my 1911 by June 24 but I think that's too late to make it to the Match. We'll see.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Sparsky,

If you don't mind shooting a Beretta or Glock 9mm, I'd let you shoot one on Saturday.

-Zmeja

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm fine. Just waiting on that magical date where I'm considered an adult so I can buy a pistol. I'll have to remember to ask yall about the 3 gun matches when I see yall at the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top