Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/2/2006 10:01:47 AM EDT
Just stopped by for the first time. Very nice and clean facility. The guys in the shop were very firendly as well. The range is nice - well ventilated and good lighting. It has the "water bath" to keep the dust to a minimum.

The rifle range is 25 yards and it has cameras so you can see you target.

I am still debating on joining Riverbend. I want to get more involved in action shooting (tactial rifle and pistol) but don't know if it is worth the $600 initiation plus the $200 annual

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:14:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 11:14:35 AM EDT by Accountant30339]
Welcome! I haven't seen you in these parts before.

Riverbend is a nice club.......but we don't consort with them. They don't like our evil black rifles or the happy switch.

Accountant
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:52:26 AM EDT
Thanks - I have been an avid handgunner for many years and just recently took the black rifle plunge. Where do you shoot?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:21:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GODAWGS:
Where do you shoot?

At the Group Shoot of course!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:01:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:34:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 8:35:24 AM EDT by DeltaAir423]
+1 on everything everyone else said. I have not personally been to RBGC (sat will be my first time), but I have been impressed with South River. What was comical, is that I saw a flyer for Bullseye marksman at Bass Pro earlier today while I was waiting to just be acknolwleged, and I thought about possibly checking it out.

Best thing today I saw though was while I was waiting at the firearms desk, some guy was up there with is Elmer Fudd special bolt action rifle and big ass scope, and he was complaining about how he can't get his scope centered. Obviously the BP guy was no help, but I asked to see if I could give him a hand, and as I was screwing the center cap covers off the guy is freaking out, thinking I'm going to open up his scope. Pop the cover off, and there's the adjustment screw. Then he looks at it like huh, well I guess I'll go back to the range to get it sighted in. After he walks away, I turn to the attendant, and said "Now that I did your job, how about finding me some chamber flags!" Look on the attendant's face was

I am not a rewards member there, and I detest going there for anything unless they're my only shot. Funny how my sporting good store rankings look a lot like my auto parts stores rankings.

Car parts........................................Sporting goods
1. Internet.........................................Internet

2. Discount Auto parts sores...........Select FFL's/Gunshows
(autozone, advance)

3. Dealer ...........................................Dealer

4. PepBoys.........................................Bass Pro/Dick's
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:48:31 AM EDT
Here is a virtual tour I made for them, it is a great indoor range.

Virtual tour of the range

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:07:26 AM EDT
At River Bend, you don't have to be a member to shoot in any of the competitions. That being said, it is nice to have a friend that is a member and if you like shooting pistols, the Action Pistol bay lets you do pretty much what you want. I've heard that some of the younger guys have been pushing for an "Action Rifle" range, but it is about a year or so off. Just giving a counter argument.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:50:16 PM EDT
One time at RBGC I was shooting my bushmaster at 100 yards and Bob Sr. walked up behind me and asked if my gun was zeroed for 100 yards. I said I don't now. He said what do you mean? I said the last time that I shot it it was zeroed for 100 yards but it's been riding around in the trunk of my car for a couple of months. I asked him why? And he said he was looking at my target and could not see any holes in it. I told him thanks and he walked away. When I went to get my target all the shots were in the black.
I was counting 20 seconds between each shot and I thought I was safe.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:20:45 AM EDT
I got a letter from RBGC a month or so ago. Dues are going up to $300 this summer.
I think initiation fee is also going up, but I don't remember how much.

RBGC has created a new road beside the 600 yard range. It looks like it has a lot of potential for many new shooting bays. However, the 6-second rule & $300 will probably kill it for me. I'll wait until this summer to make my final decision.

I like PCSC better, but I have been worried that they were leasing the property from the county. I figured the county would shut them down eventually. However, I believe the club is in the process of get the deed to the land - making it hard to close the range.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:08:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DeMarcus:
I like PCSC better, but I have been worried that they were leasing the property from the county. I figured the county would shut them down eventually. However, I believe the club is in the process of get the deed to the land - making it hard to close the range.

It is my understanding from Mike B. that the club now owns the land.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:01:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Accountant30339:

Originally Posted By DeMarcus:

It is my understanding from Mike B. that the club now owns the land.

Also, since the residential property developers figured out there was a range next door they haven't been back to work on the site.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:41:57 PM EDT
Where exactly is the Pickens County club? How far fro North Gwinnett?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:54:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 6:58:46 PM EDT by stimpsonjcat]

Riverbend is a nice club.......but we don't consort with them. They don't like our evil black rifles or the happy switch.

Accountant

Interesting...didn't know I was out of the loop because I belong to a particular club.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you can't play with the happy switch at Charlie Elliot either.

I may be off base here, apologies to you and the group if so, but the need for a range where you can do what you want is not in the best interests of any club. I've been shooting at RBGC since I was 8 (it was on a different river then) and I am well aware of the resistance of certain range officials to all things EBR. This attitude is not universal at the club however. Between the action rifle and action pistol shoots I feel the club has been making real progress towards having shooting disciplines that are more exciting than traditional target events. If you can hit your target, you'll get no grief from me.

I actually go to the long range planning meetings to try to keep the club focused on things they can do to bring in new shooters and attract more match attendance. There is, however, a very difficult to overcome resistance to anything action oriented specifically because there is always a small percentage of the membership that cannot stop themselves from being complete asshats. Shooting props, trees, target frames...pretty much anything they want to. Somebody put an AP round thru a hardened plate, they couldn't have been more than 30 feet from the rack for crying out loud! This "do what I please" disregard for the rules of the club is what keeps the powers that be worried about adding ranges that might encourage faster, and from their view more dangerous, shooting by members.

The action shooting area at RBGC is on paper, I've personally watched the ranges move around the property at least three times now. This is going to happen. When it does there will be some seriously fun and challenging matches happening there. Will there be rules about how shooting can be done on these ranges when it isn't match day? Yes. Will they prevent you from practicing for the matches? No. I put this at about 2 years distant.

Look, when folks go to CE and just go nuts and start bump-firing and such, do you think that is a good thing? It might be fun for a few minutes, and you might even get away without a ticket, but in the end, every poorly aimed shot fired on any range we frequent has the potential to be the one that shuts that range down. Any reasonably intelligent board member or owner knows this.

I recommend you come shoot some of the matches at RBGC. New shooters shoot for free at the AP matches anyway, so you're in it for ammo only on that one the first time. Shoot the action rifle match (well multi-gun, or 3-gun) and you'll be hooked. You do not EVER have to join the club to shoot the matches there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:57:39 PM EDT

Yo DeltaAir, what was your opinion of the Action Rifle match?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:26:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GODAWGS:
Just stopped by for the first time. Very nice and clean facility. The guys in the shop were very firendly as well. The range is nice - well ventilated and good lighting. It has the "water bath" to keep the dust to a minimum.

The rifle range is 25 yards and it has cameras so you can see you target.

I am still debating on joining Riverbend. I want to get more involved in action shooting (tactial rifle and pistol) but don't know if it is worth the $600 initiation plus the $200 annual

What the heck is a tactial rifle?????????????
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 7:40:02 PM EDT by DeltaAir423]

Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

Accountant

Interesting...didn't know I was out of the loop because I belong to a particular club.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you can't play with the happy switch at Charlie Elliot either.

I may be off base here, apologies to you and the group if so, but the need for a range where you can do what you want is not in the best interests of any club. I've been shooting at RBGC since I was 8 (it was on a different river then) and I am well aware of the resistance of certain range officials to all things EBR. This attitude is not universal at the club however. Between the action rifle and action pistol shoots I feel the club has been making real progress towards having shooting disciplines that are more exciting than traditional target events. If you can hit your target, you'll get no grief from me.

I actually go to the long range planning meetings to try to keep the club focused on things they can do to bring in new shooters and attract more match attendance. There is, however, a very difficult to overcome resistance to anything action oriented specifically because there is always a small percentage of the membership that cannot stop themselves from being complete asshats. Shooting props, trees, target frames...pretty much anything they want to. Somebody put an AP round thru a hardened plate, they couldn't have been more than 30 feet from the rack for crying out loud! This "do what I please" disregard for the rules of the club is what keeps the powers that be worried about adding ranges that might encourage faster, and from their view more dangerous, shooting by members.

The action shooting area at RBGC is on paper, I've personally watched the ranges move around the property at least three times now. This is going to happen. When it does there will be some seriously fun and challenging matches happening there. Will there be rules about how shooting can be done on these ranges when it isn't match day? Yes. Will they prevent you from practicing for the matches? No. I put this at about 2 years distant.

Look, when folks go to CE and just go nuts and start bump-firing and such, do you think that is a good thing? It might be fun for a few minutes, and you might even get away without a ticket, but in the end, every poorly aimed shot fired on any range we frequent has the potential to be the one that shuts that range down. Any reasonably intelligent board member or owner knows this.

I recommend you come shoot some of the matches at RBGC. New shooters shoot for free at the AP matches anyway, so you're in it for ammo only on that one the first time. Shoot the action rifle match (well multi-gun, or 3-gun) and you'll be hooked. You do not EVER have to join the club to shoot the matches there.

Better check on that this was my first non-USPSA/IPSC 3-gun match, and I paid. The match was a definite wake-up call. I didn't particularly care for waiting almost 3 hrs before any trigger time, but I realize your AR matches are limited to the space alloted for you at RBGC. The format was interesting though. I guess since I learned on USPSA/IPSC, I'm going to have to shoot another match or so before I form a solid opinion.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:16:28 AM EDT

Ooops...my bad, by AP I meant Action Pistol...the matches I run. Tony doesn't give freebies for first timers. Well I do hope you come back, the weather isn't always crappy, but the wait is always longer than any of us would like.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:22:28 AM EDT

Accountant

LOL.....Next time I will use even more sarcasm so you will understand that I am just screwing with the FNG.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:58:06 AM EDT

In that case you have my apologies Accountant.

As you might be able to tell, I am a bit sensitive on this issue, it is a battle I have been fighting for a long time.

/me adds Accountant to list of 'not to be taken seriously folks'
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:12:39 AM EDT

In that case you have my apologies Accountant.

As you might be able to tell, I am a bit sensitive on this issue, it is a battle I have been fighting for a long time.

/me adds Accountant to list of 'not to be taken seriously folks'

Please do.....life is toooooo short to take me seriously....but you will know when I mean something.

In all seriousness (see now you know).....I have heard nothing but good things about RiverBend. Personally, I am unwilling to drive that far when there are closer clubs, the one shot even six seconds rule, and I have been told that ducks would be born, on the spot, if I ever tried any shoot and scoot techniques.

If I want to punch paper, I will go to CE; but if all I can do is punch paper. I am going to find a new hobby. Making pretty holes over, and over, and over again.....bores the shit out of me.

Accountant
Top Top