User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2004 9:51:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Myrtle Grove Wildlife Management Area's range:

Info:
Buy your permit ($20/yr) anywhere you buy a hunting license (Walmart, etc, I believe) or from the range itself (during business hours M-F, call ahead to find the ranger).  100 yard rifle/pistol/slug range, trap field (bring your own thrower & clays), gravel pit for buckshot & birdshot patterning and an archery range.

The range phone number is 301-743-5161, call ahead after 5pm on Wed, Thurs and Friday to see if the range will be open on Sat/Sun, the range is occasionally closed for volunteer upkeep (please show up and help if you can).

Range hours are 1pm to 5pm on Sunday, 9am to 5pm on Mon-Sat. Between March and October, Mon-Sat's closing time is 6pm; range is closed during deer firearms season.

No machine guns, no alcohol, paper & cardboard targets on the rifle range only.  Note that there is no honor box to buy a permit, and if caught shooting without a permit you *will* be ticketed and fined $120, please get one ahead of time. No bathrooms, you will have to find a tree.

Bring a target stand or some string, you *are* allowed to use string/line to hang targets from the pillars at the pistol/rifle range.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
DO they rent rifles?  Im looking to buy an AR-15 in the near future and i would liek some firing time before hand just to get a feel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know of a range that does in the Baltimore County or PG County Area?
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Being able to rent a rifle would be sweet!!!

20mm solothurnfor me, its rifle just kinda big.
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Being able to rent a rifle would be sweet!!!

20mm solothurnfor me, its rifle just kinda big.

You don't really need to rent one when you go to the HTF meets. Everyone that goes from here knows how to share and is pretty open to letting people play with their toys. If you know 9supercomp is going hes got just about every thing you would want to shoot... you just need to ask him what he's bringing and if he'll bring something in particular.

I think everyone here owns either and AR or AK.

Link Posted: 11/5/2004 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know of any good public (non membership required) rifle ranges around the PG County/ College Park area?  I know theres a skeet place but cant find a close, cheap (some of them require a 200+/yr membership!!) and friendly range.  

I usually just shoot skeet and i just go tmy AR so im tryin to fnd a place to shoot.Lemme know guys, thank!
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anyone know of any good public (non membership required) rifle ranges around the PG County/ College Park area?  I know theres a skeet place but cant find a close, cheap (some of them require a 200+/yr membership!!) and friendly range.  

I usually just shoot skeet and i just go tmy AR so im tryin to fnd a place to shoot.

Lemme know guys, thank!

Go to the pop-up range in college park... they've cleverly disguise it by calling it University of Maryland, but it's actually just a ultra realistic firing range.
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Yea i go there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yea i go there.

To shoot?

I've had several classes there... I'm a student of UMUC (university of Maryland Lite or Grown-up U of M). As soon as I realized two of my classes were in [Millard] Tydings Hall I knew it was a liberal college.
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
No i dont shoot there, i go to UMCP.

Most of academia is liberal.  

But back on topic.  I really wanna find a place where i can shoot that doesnt cost an arm and a leg in membership fees and thats not an hour drive away.
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok... I had my fun...

Check this site out... I'm surprised M4_Aiming_at_U didn't throw this link up.

Where to shoot
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a great place to shoot your AR-15 at 200yds 100yds or 50yds.  

www.monumental.org

Monumental gun club uses the AGC ranges just west of baltimore in Marriotsville

I live in the Gambrills area and its about a 45 minute drive

The hours are great and the facilities are top notch

It'll run ya about $200 a year with range fee's and club dues.

Without a doubt the best place to shoot rifles in MD

Link Posted: 11/24/2004 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here's a great place to shoot your AR-15 at 200yds 100yds or 50yds.  
www.monumental.org
Monumental gun club uses the AGC ranges just west of baltimore in Marriotsville
I live in the Gambrills area and its about a 45 minute drive
It'll run ya about $200 a year with range fee's and club dues.

Why are gun club memberships so expensive? I think this is why Elk Neck is so popular among HTF members... you pay as you go. While I'd love to be a member of a club like this, I don't think I get out shooting enough to justify the expense of the membership. I've been to Elk Neck once this year. If I was shooting every or every other weekend I might be able to see where $210 might be worth dropping. But not when I don't shoot enough.

But I'm not shitting on your post. Looks like a great club. Thanks for posting the information here for everyone else who may not be as cheap as me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#18]
to respond to "Why are gun clubs so expensive"  

well basicly most of these dedicated ranges are in serious trouble from urban sprawl. It takes allot of money to keep the anti-gun folks off their back and fight anti-gun legislation. (most clubs are very politicly involved)

Worst problems are probubly protesters and the locals, I wouldnt want to live that close to a range either but the range was there before the houses. I'm sure these people had to have heard the BOOM BOOM BOOM before they bought the places. They have no right whatsoever to complain. So yes i agree if you shoot enough it is worth it personaly but also the clubs help fight local anti-gun legislation to ensure that everyone can continue to shoot long into the future. Also most clubs are incredibly receptive to new members. So even if you don't shoot allot it can still be worth it to help a good cause.

Lets not forget the here in Maryland we have a state legislature controlled by heavily anti-gun democrats (actually if not for the current Govenor AR-15's would be banned here even after Sep-13). We are constantly at threat of more laws here that help criminals and hurt honest legal gun owners.  

hehe sorry, im starting to rant again :)

anyhow good luck to everyone in shooting and remember

NEVER BUY ANYTHING ONLINE FROM ASPI TACTICAL
(they are a complete fraud of a company and take 2+ months to fill orders)
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Just a note, at the last HTF shoot at Elk Neck, the Ranger mentioned he locks the gate if there's snow on the road so he doesnt have to pull cars out of the park all day long.  If there's snow on your lawn, there's probably snow on the roads at Elk Neck since they do not plow it.  I'd suggest calling ahead to see if the gate's open, the DNR website lists their phone number as (410) 287-5333 but I've never called it myself.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump to keep it alive.
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Hap Baker Range in Carrol County Refuse Disposal Area---Well there is a reason why its behind a DUMP! It sucks.

The RO's all act like typcial assholes and basically look down thier nose at you because you are NOT A MEMBER. I don't see why they treat NON-MEMBERS this way since this is basically the only effective marketing they have for memberships.

The Spotting Scopes/Firing "boxes" - SUCK! Scopes are falling over, broken..better off not having anything. The boxes they force you to fire from are nasty, dusty..and basically endangering considering the amount of lead dust floating around your shooting area.

Parking- Christ, bring your boots and a golf cart...its directly downhill and the pathway is washed out gravel when somebody gets "country rich" and decides to put a truck load of crush and run down.
Range- The overall condition of the range is in need of reapir everywhere. Very disappointing to se people waiting to shoot and obviously making money then the backstop supports are shot through and pracitcally falling in half.

The real kicker for me was when I arrived I asked the RO if it was Ok to shoot my SEMI-1919a4, just to test function- 5rds max. He said no problem bring it in sounds neat. Then explained I had to park in hte upper lot then bring the weapon down the hill. No porblem, wanted to shoot it understood it may take me a little while. I made 3 trips back and forth to get all of my supplies- RO along with other elderly RO watched each time. On the last trip down after I begin setting up and paid my money the ELDERLY RO tells me- " Oh, we had one of those in here before - YOU CAN"T SHOOT THAT HERE, it will tear the place all to hell". I explained that the other gentleman already authorized it and I paid my money. "I don't give a shit who you told, I said you can't shoot it here and if you got a problem a with that become a member and bring it up at the next meeting"-Elderly RO. I politely told him that I will not be back, please return my money and I will leave.
Reulctently the other RO gave me my money back and I left.

Overall the place is a joke, and thank god I got private property now!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/13/2005 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Can you rapid fire at Hap Baker?
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#25]
1 round a second in Pistol and Rifle Area's
Sometimes people brake the rules in the Pistol Range

Being 16 and firing the .45 i don't have the luxury of  rapid fire or double taps
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Heard today that Gunpowder Range has closed... unable to work out a lease with the landlord.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#27]
If any of you are on the eastern shore or near the bay bridge, Just off of 404 over the Delaware line is Bridgeville rifle range, its members only but only 60 a year and one share of stock to start also 60, then after that just 60 a year. They have a 600yrd rifle range, 300yard benchrest range, 100 yard misc pit, and a indoor pistol range. We are in the process now of building a 1000 yard range. Once your a member you get the combinations to all the locks and go shooting when you want. the exception is the indoor range is open one night a week and has a range master. There are frequent high power matches there and benchrest and open matches (most weekends during the summer but you can use the other ranges during matches.)  Also there is a nice sporting clays range about 5 miles away non membership, they also have five stand.

range link
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#28]
ml271 tryed to IM you but you have it turned off. Want to join range.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#29]
If you look on the match schedual page on the website the number for Jeff hague is on there , he is responsible for membership. Lol would post his number to you but dont know if he wants his number all over boards lol
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#30]
More updates
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Ooops wrong thread.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#32]
"Hap" Baker Range,

Just went this weekend, very nice range.   The price was $15 for the day.

Link Posted: 6/6/2005 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
"Hap" Baker Range,

Just went this weekend, very nice range.   The price was $15 for the day.

What's the distance for the rifle part of that range? More than Elk Neck?
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 4:00:20 AM EDT
[#34]
"Hap" Baker Range,  goes up to 200 yards.  

the range is easy to find too.

Elk neck is $10 to shoot, but it will cost you $9 in tolls to get there and back.

Hap baker is $15 to shoot, but no tolls to get there and it is half the distance from Baltimore
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Question about "On Target":

Can you shoot pistol caliber rifles/carbines on their indoor ranges?

TRS is teh ghey
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

TRS is teh ghey

they had a guy shooting a pistol on the rifle range so I dont think they would care.  Just dont shoot rifle caliber pistols on the pistol range.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TRS is teh ghey

they had a guy shooting a pistol on the rifle range so I dont think they would care.  Just dont shoot rifle caliber pistols on the pistol range.

Are we talking about the same range? I didn't know On Target (In Odenton/Ft Meade Route 175) had a rifle range.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I believe you can.   I asked about shooting a .22 LR rifle and they told me that was OK.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#39]
On Target definitely allows pistol caliber carbines as well as .22lr rifles.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
On Target definitely allows pistol caliber carbines as well as .22lr rifles.

Yep, they will allow you to shoot pistol caliber rifles.  I asked if I could shoot my .17HMR there and was told it would be no problem.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Ml271 I know in an above post you stated that there is a phone number to contact for membership at Bridgeville but before I make any phone calls I was wondering how much the range membership fees are? I want to make sure it is something I would even pay before I call him up.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry it took so long to reply. The range meber ship is like 70 dollars a year and  1 share of stock to join is like 60 dollars or close.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Any ranges in Howard County MD ?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Ive never had a problem at hap baker range. Sence its 5 minutes from my house i go there all the time. They work at rebuilding things on range on tuesdays, moreso when the cops shoot at it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm a regular at Hap Baker as well.  Down here in Montgomery County, all the rifle ranges I know of are members only.  The one indoor range ... please don't get me started.  Only down side with Hap Baker is that they're packed with hunters trying to sight in this time of the year.  Had to wait an hour last weekend for my turn.  I think I'll be doing mostly pistol shooting until they're off shooting Bambis.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Mike - where are you at in Montgomery?  I'm a member at IWLA rockville, membership there is probably less than a few sessions at that indoor range.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#47]
To find out where to shoot in any area, check out wheretoshoot you can search by state, area code, or zip+distance.

I go to:

Ommelanden Hunter Education Training Center
1205 River Road (Route 9)
New Castle, DE 19702
(302) 323-5333

Here's their hours/info/pricing sheet

Here's an aerial photo

I give it a he
For the rifle/pistol range: They provide cardboard backdrops for posting your targets, the staple gun/tape (sometimes), and the foamie earplugs of you want them. Bring your own firearms (no rentals), ammo, targets (or buy their's), tape (just in case), protection, bags (if you keep your brass or want some), and some Gatorade (or whatever) if you're gonna be there for a while. It's pretty much covered, but open to the elements, so dress accordingly.  

For other ranges/shooting they offer, call them, because I've only used the rifle/pistol range.

I'd definitely recommend you check it out if you live near there. I have no complaints about the place or the people. I've been there about 8 times. Always a fun time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
To find out where to shoot in any area, check out wheretoshoot you can search by state, area code, or zip+distance.

Great link... tahnks Dave_in_Del-a-where?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:45:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'm a regular at Hap Baker as well.  Down here in Montgomery County, all the rifle ranges I know of are members only.  The one indoor range ... please don't get me started.  

Montgomery county requires all ranges be members only.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:26:31 AM EDT
[#50]
check out Continental Arms in Timmonium (balto county).  It is one of the nicest indoor pistol ranges around.  Not sure if they let you shoot rifle.  It is a non-membership range but you have to have a safety lesson from them before you shoot.  Not sure if they will take a hunter safety card or something like that.  AND they are a Class 3 dealer and rent class 3 (and other) weapons.  Exit 17 off of I-83
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top