Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
6/2/2020 2:34:59 PM
Posted: 11/18/2008 5:53:53 PM EDT
Anyone got a D/FW local source? Seems like the usual places have dried up right now. There was a place between Sherman and Sadler that had some but they had a big fire this summer. My local Lowes and HD don't have any.  I need four to make a small pistol backstop.

help!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:56:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2008 5:58:48 PM EDT by cvanbrunt]
Watch Craigslist in the Free or Material section. There are usually a couple of ads that people need some hauled away.

ETA:

Link to Free Wood
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:18:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2008 10:19:54 PM EDT by FAIL-SAFE]
I'll see if I cant get you a bit of a hook up.  Be advised, these ties will still have arsenic and shit on them, and can be a skin irritant.  I am talking real choo-choo ties!

Have you thought about getting a few few 55 gallon drums, filling them with dirt, and a few tires off the side of the road?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:59:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:40:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:
I'll see if I cant get you a bit of a hook up.  Be advised, these ties will still have arsenic and shit on them, and can be a skin irritant.  I am talking real choo-choo ties!

Have you thought about getting a few few 55 gallon drums, filling them with dirt, and a few tires off the side of the road?

Thanks for the offer but this will be sitting on the front of a tank dam with cattle in the pasture. I don't want to take a chance on anything hurting our renters cows.

The cows are part of the reason I'm looking for some more ties. I had pretty well shot them up but the backstop was still standing. I had set two telephone poles in the ground and lag bolted the tied to them. His big angus bull was using it for a scratching post and knocked the heavy thing down. I am going back this time with something a little smaller but just as heavy duty.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:06:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 9:07:48 AM EDT by Halo_Ranger]
Railroad ties are made with arsenic and creosote. Also per some of my coworkers the place on 82 west is still there.

ETA most "used ties" have had the majority of chemicals leached from them by the weather prior to being placed for sale.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:31:53 AM EDT
There is a place at the intersection of I-635 & Plano Rd in Dallas that used to have them and I don't know if they still carry them.  I think the name of the place was or is Dallas Grass.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:13:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Halo_Ranger:
Railroad ties are made with arsenic and creosote. Also per some of my coworkers the place on 82 west is still there.

ETA most "used ties" have had the majority of chemicals leached from them by the weather prior to being placed for sale.

Are they back in business after the fire this summer?  They are close so I'll check them out.
Top Top