Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 11:31:56 AM EDT
My roomate and I went out shooting past St. Rose(Las Vegas) this weekend and had a great time. We went back to a spot we were at a couple weeks back so we could clean up the mess we left in a pile. I forgot the trash bags then. We were able to bring everything we left and what we brought this time so we felt good about that.

When we arrived there was a jack rabbit in the area that ran off. This got us looking around for some more. After running into two more and missing both times it got me thinking about the aftermath and what we would do with it after. Neither one of us knows anything about extracting the meet or the fur. Is it considered bad to leave jacks and coyotes after shooting them even though they are considered pests? Is there some place in town to take them to for cleaning and stuff? Got any tips on going after these fast suckers?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#1]
the meat on yotes and jacks are less then great. in the summer there infected with all kinds of nasty shit. shoot em and leave em lay and no one will care.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Leave them there coyotes will eat em.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I asked about this when I bought my hunting license the other day, and the clerk told me that to even TOUCH the coyote carcass I must have a trapping permit (otherwise its a felony).

I still want to check into what he said, but I know its perfectly to shoot 'em and leave 'em lay.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]
tell the clerk hes a damn idiot, or maybe i am but i thought they were considerd vermin like jack rabbits. there are also seasons to shoot cotton tails but ive had a few game wardens tell me no on enforces it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I definately do not want diseased meat so I will just confirm the kill and move on if they dont outrun me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
you only have to have a trapping license if you sell the fur.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
the only time a trappers permit is needed for coyotes is if your are planning on TRAPPING them or if you plan to sell the hides. Wal-Mart employees (in the sporting goods department at least) dont know shit about the products they sell let alone the F&G laws.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
DO NOT EVER......EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER  LISTEN TO A THING THE GUN CLERKS AT WALMART SAY.

I hope you got a good look at the guy because you were delaing with a true idiot.  They come in many forms, liberals, anit-gun nuts, American Shooters Supply employees, and now you have experienced the true Walmart idiot.  

Does Enstien really think that LE is going to charge you with a damn FELONY because you shot a coyote?  I'm mean really, come on now.  With all the shit you see on the news, does Mr. I'm an informed expert Walmart employee really think a dead coyote is real high up on the priority list of Metro?

Besides that he is just plain wrong.  you can shoot coyotes all day long.  Check the regs, it is there in plain English for all to see.  He does read and speak English, correct?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Hahaha... Seriously..the "trained professionals" at just about ANY place you get your license at is not going to know jack.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Duly noted.

I know better and that I should read the regs for myself.

For the record, it was a Clerk at the Ace Hardware in Gardnerville.

They have a whole counter dedicated to selling hunting licenses, so I figured it would have been better than Wally World.

....... guess not
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Does Enstien really think that LE is going to charge you with a damn FELONY because you shot a coyote?  I'm mean really, come on now.  With all the shit you see on the news, does Mr. I'm an informed expert Walmart employee really think a dead coyote is real high up on the priority list of Metro?

I don't think Metro has anything to do with the Coyote thing. If an investigation was to take place the Nevada Department of Wildlife/Fish and Game would investigate. The F&G officers have LE and arrest powers so they would probably not need Metro unless a very serious crime was committed, or the animal was shot near an urban or residential area etc....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#12]
And Fish and Game also can get around certain warrant requirements because the evidence is easily destroyed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top