Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2012 11:08:39 AM EDT
I'll be there with my brother. I'm the skinny dude with a mustache, say hi if you see me.

My primary is a Marlin 795 with Tech-Sights. Bringing a .22lr AR-15 and a standard AR-15 as backups. What are ya'll running?

Bring water, its going to be a hot one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the Appleseed thing about 6 years ago, got really into it, then I burned out.

Good luck, sounds like you've got it under control.

Real quick primer for ya':
Make sure you have a sling you can put on your rifles. Standard Cotton OD sling will be perfect. I've used it and others and I always went back to the $8 canvas/cotton green USGI sling.

Hope you've been practicing getting proned out. Take some tylenol before you go, and bring some to take at lunch (alot of folks get joint stiffness laying proned out for hours on end). Sunscreen, bugspray, and a ton of water. If you have a dump pouch, attach it to your belt. Its nice to be able to reload mags while you go check targets (time management) or are getting some instruction (put the filled mags in the pouch so you don't have to carry em' around while reloading your other mags). Always. always have loaded mags or be loading up your mags unless you are shooting. Come with mags loaded ready to go. Have a zero'd rifle(s) when you show up. Understand that much of the shooting will be at 25 meters, so understand your rifles zero....

Most importantly, bring a teachable attitude.

Best of luck earning your first rifleman patch.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The sling is bugging me. I got a generic Blackhawk! sling on sale at Midway for the Marlin. I think I can do all the right moves with it.

I do have a USGI sling on the AR, I can swap out if need be I guess.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The sling is bugging me. I got a generic Blackhawk! sling on sale at Midway for the Marlin. I think I can do all the right moves with it.

I do have a USGI sling on the AR, I can swap out if need be I guess.

Former AS instructor here. I'd suggest switching to the USGI sling. Even better if you can rig it up to quickly disconnect from the rifle. That will allow you to ground and safe the rifle without having to unloop it off your arm. You'll be doing this after each string of fire and it can get tedious. Being able to disconnect from the rifle quickly will free up time to load mags or other administrative tasks.
If this doesn't make any sense, email me and I'll send some pictures of my setup.

No matter what sling/rifle/gear you take, you'll have a blast and learn a lot. Keep an open mind and have fun.

I'd like to attend this weekend, but made plans already. Rifle-therapy is always good. Also good to brush up on the basics.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It's gonna be hot out there!

I took the class a couple of years ago.  I really liked it.

Didn't get my patch though.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I plan on doing one later this year, but not this weekend. They'd have to bring a sponge to soak me up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]
How did it go?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Went OK. I couldn't do better than 170's. I am capable of shooting Rifleman, but not after a day in the heat and getting sloppy. I was really really pissed off about my Tech Sight failing.

Key points:
- Appleseed requires a GI sling, this is NOT the same as "a sling". A GI sling is $10-15 and is key to the style of shooting taught
- Appleseed is half shooting, half activism. Their goals of sharing very early Revolutionary War history and getting people involved in their communities is a good one.
- The goal to get involved is great, but I'm already involved. Felt like the choir was being preached to, but that may have been the heat making me a bit touchy. Ask people how they are already involved, then make the sale to the rest of the class to get involved or to get more involved.
- Tech Sights are good, but I do not think they are the best. There is room to improve. 5/8 MOA adjustment is bullshit, do 1/4, 1/2 or full MOA. I rounded mine down to 1/2 and it was close enough. Adjusting the sights, even with the tool, is a pain in the ass; one click at a time when you need 14 clicks is irritating. I still haven't figured out how the clamp failed on mine. I expect Tech Sights to honor their warranty on this and will report back if they do not.
- The Marlin 795 is not ideal, the magazines do not drop free and the magazine sticking out limits your options to hold the rifle. I like my 795, but the 10/22 allows for better shooting positions. Even with that godawful mag release and no last-shot hold open and being heavy, the 10/22 is a better option than the Marlin. I intend to modify my 795 to get the mags to drop free.
- A bit of foam and vet wrap. Get some. Adjust your rifles to fit for pennies. No permanent alterations, no marring, and you can whip it on and off in an instant.
- Appleseed meets and exceeds its own goals and is a great way to spend a weekend and an epic value for your training dollar
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Went OK. I couldn't do better than 170's. I am capable of shooting Rifleman, but not after a day in the heat and getting sloppy. I was really really pissed off about my Tech Sight failing.

Key points:
- Appleseed requires a GI sling, this is NOT the same as "a sling". A GI sling is $10-15 and is key to the style of shooting taught
- Appleseed is half shooting, half activism. Their goals of sharing very early Revolutionary War history and getting people involved in their communities is a good one.
- The goal to get involved is great, but I'm already involved. Felt like the choir was being preached to, but that may have been the heat making me a bit touchy. Ask people how they are already involved, then make the sale to the rest of the class to get involved or to get more involved.
- Tech Sights are good, but I do not think they are the best. There is room to improve. 5/8 MOA adjustment is bullshit, do 1/4, 1/2 or full MOA. I rounded mine down to 1/2 and it was close enough. Adjusting the sights, even with the tool, is a pain in the ass; one click at a time when you need 14 clicks is irritating. I still haven't figured out how the clamp failed on mine. I expect Tech Sights to honor their warranty on this and will report back if they do not.
- The Marlin 795 is not ideal, the magazines do not drop free and the magazine sticking out limits your options to hold the rifle. I like my 795, but the 10/22 allows for better shooting positions. Even with that godawful mag release and no last-shot hold open and being heavy, the 10/22 is a better option than the Marlin. I intend to modify my 795 to get the mags to drop free.
- A bit of foam and vet wrap. Get some. Adjust your rifles to fit for pennies. No permanent alterations, no marring, and you can whip it on and off in an instant.
- Appleseed meets and exceeds its own goals and is a great way to spend a weekend and an epic value for your training dollar

Great write up.
Glad you were out there doing it and not just thinking about it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#9]
We will replace the rear assembly, no charge. Let me know your current address and I will send a new assembly and a SASE for you to return the defective one.

^ Tech-Sights has a kick ass, fast responding warranty.

Their sights aren't perfect, I'm still not totally thrilled with the zero adjustments, but they are damn good. Those $60-80 sights turn a casual plinker into a good rifle. These sights on a basic rifle are helping me get the confidence I need to be a good shooter and a responsible hunter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top