Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 5:46:42 AM EDT
It today's electoric age, it is often hard, to know if a doucument is REAL or NOT. This is a reply from Senator Geroge Allen regarding an email that I have sent him on the "assult weapons ban". So lets hear it..... REAL or NOT?????

Gal4guns

HIS LETTER:

Dear Mrs. Walker:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your views about renewal of the
“assault weapons ban.”  I appreciate your concerns and value the
opportunity to respond to them.

In March of this year, when the Senate considered an amendment to extend
the ban, I spoke against, and voted against, the amendment. I stated then
that “this symbolic ban of 19 firearms chosen for cosmetic reasons is a
meaningless, toothless law that has virtually no impact on crime.”

I also stated that reauthorization of the ban might serve as a platform for
inviting added restrictions on Second Amendment rights. I have a long and
consistent record of supporting the rights of Virginians and Americans to
protect their families and themselves, and I am committed to protecting
those rights of law-abiding American citizens.

Therefore, I will continue to oppose and vote against renewal of the
“assault weapons ban”, and will work with Senate leadership on the most
effective means possible to defeat any attempt to renew it.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.  If you would like to
receive an e-mail newsletter about my initiatives to improve America,
please sign up on my website (<http://allen.senate.gov>).  It is an honor
to serve you in the United States Senate, and I look forward to working
with you to make Virginia and America a better place to live, learn, work
and raise a family.

With warm regards, I remain

Sincerely,

Senator George Allen

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's real.  I got a similarly worded letter via snailmail from him.  After I wrote him urging that he not support the AWB.  George Allen is pretty progun.  He signed the shall issue law for carry permits for VA.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I've interviewed him twice for school projects and he's been consistantly considerate enough to take time to talk to me.  Last time I was there he was pushing to keep the moratorium on internet taxes.  

Good guy.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably real.  I received a similarly-worded snailmail letter (like a previous poster) from him.  Unfortunately I have not been diligent in checking into voting records, something I need to change for the future.

Allen was initially in favor of extending the ban.  In fact, the letter I received from his office noted that he campaigned for reauthorization of the ban, but changed his mind after researching the (lack of) effects of the ban and the feedback from his constituents.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think it's real.  I got a similarly worded letter via snailmail from him.  After I wrote him urging that he not support the AWB.  George Allen is pretty progun.  

+1

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the ban, I spoke against, and voted against, the amendment.

This was only after getting hammered with letters and calls because he said originally that he would vote for the ban. At least he changed his mind, but it still kind of bugs me that he even considered it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the ban, I spoke against, and voted against, the amendment.

This was only after getting hammered with letters and calls because he said originally that he would vote for the ban. At least he changed his mind, but it still kind of bugs me that he even considered it.

He changed his mind after taking a second look at it and realizing it was worthless legislation. Sen. Warner on the other hand is a true RINO.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#7]
He did initially support the ban because he sent me a letter to that effect when I wrote some time ago.  I'm glad he changed his mind.  What really counts is how he votes.  Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him run for President in 2008.  You KNOW Hillary Klinton will be running.  I think he would be a good opponent against that waste of air.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
While I do not have a letter from him, I do know that he came out against the AWB in the Hampton Roads local newspapers (Virginia Pilot, Daily Press) several months ago.  The "toothless law" quote was attributed to him in the newspaper articles as well.  He definitely voted against the Feinstein AWB renewal amendment that was tacked onto the gun manufacturer's protection bill.  Sure, he originally said he supported the AWB.  But when it really counted, he did the right thing, both with media statements and with his Senate vote.  Unless something dramatic happens, he'll definitely get my vote when he runs for reelection.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Great, Thank you all.

Gal
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a dozen such messages from him. Unfortunsately his "fellow" VA senator is a RINO and doesn't like guns. It's "for his grandchildren."
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I recieved a similar letter as well.

While I appreciate his support in this effort, I'm worried abot what he didn't say as well as others.

“this symbolic ban of 19 firearms chosen for cosmetic reasons is a
meaningless, toothless law that has virtually no impact on crime.”

What if  legislation was introduced that did not focus on meaningless cosmetic features, but actual mechanical and functional features. Would he support that or vote against it?

Just something to keep in perspective for the future.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:20:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I got same message from him  so my vote is....Real
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I have to advise everyone that for what it is worth, Senator Allen has flipped on this issue every year and that is the truth. I am glad that he is back to supporting our rights, but do not close your book on him yet.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I know George from when Dad and I used to set up and work voting machines in our County. I have talked with him several times before his rise to stardom. He was a great guy starting out back then. We need to keep the pressure up on him, believe me.

Danny
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top