Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 11:44:48 AM EDT
I am currently shopping around for a pistol and have seem to run into a road block.

I have read the RCW and it states residents of less then 90 days are subject to a 60-day waiting period. Since I have been in this state since June '05, I thought maybe this would not apply to me. The trouble is that I have no way to prove my residency except my orders to Ft. Lewis. I have not put in for a WA drivers license or state ID card yet.

So, my question is, should I get a state ID or is there some way to give the FFL my orders and not be subject to the 60-day waiting period?

I currently have both a valid Michigan DL and, of course, military ID. What would be my course of action?

Thanks in advance for your ideas ect.

-Beetle
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought Active Duty Soldiers are residents of the state the second they set foot on the soil under orders...

I would think your orders would get you past the 60 day wait.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can you not just buy a fullautoAK47GlockCarbine w/ silencer out of the back of someones car in a WalMart parking lot?

I don't think it's a matter of if you *can* so much as if you can .... legally.

However, I'm also interested in this, since Quantico will sell at special pricing to Mil, and I might just have to pour some money their way in a month or two.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I thought Active Duty Soldiers are residents of the state the second they set foot on the soil under orders...

I would think your orders would get you past the 60 day wait.

+1

Actually, IIRC, you can claim residence in the state your stationed in and your home of record at the same time. I used to claim Missouri for tax purposes (since they took $5000 off your income before you ever started figuring income for taxes) and Cali for voting and all other purposes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have heard two conflicting things on this topic.  I have heard one dealer ask for a set of orders, but have heard another say that this was not sufficient.  They required something from your commander verifying your assignment to and duty at Lewis, McChord, or where ever.

Personally, I'd take both.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with your military ID in hand and you should be good to go. As long as its called in as such I don't think there are any issues that could come up. I have seen many guys with military ID buy all kinds of goodies no problems. When you fill out the Handgun form you state how long you have lived in the state and that is sent to the authorities where you reside. If they want they can check you out but its not a required part of the 4473. That form is basic background information. Although I would suggest not pulling out your out of state ID while doing this...

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Take your PCS orders and your Military ID. Know your address on post and you should be fine(you'd be amazed at how many guys don't know their address). That is all that was required for long guns when I worked the sporting goods counter at wally world. Shouldn't be any different for a handgun.

ETA: wouldn't be a bad idea to bring some sort of bill(electric, water, phone, etc..) with your name and your address on it. It can also be used to show residency.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
All you need is a copy of your orders and your military ID. I have done this about 5 times since being stationed in this state.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I went with my orders and military ID in hand. That was all I needed. I will now have a new pistol to bring with me to the LCR shoot!

Now comes all the accessories, night-sites, ect.

Good times!

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I went with my orders and military ID in hand. That was all I needed. I will now have a new pistol to bring with me to the LCR shoot!

Now comes all the accessories, night-sites, ect.

Good times!

Do you have a CPL, or do you have to wait to pick the pistol up?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Do you have a CPL, or do you have to wait to pick the pistol up?

No CPL, yet, so I have to wait until about Jan. 10. At least that is what is written on my receipt. But, the gentleman behind the counter said sometimes they call earlier, so who knows...

-Beetle
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Whoahh waitaminutetherebuddy ...... You have a waiting period in WA, if you don't have a WA CPL?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Whoahh waitaminutetherebuddy ...... You have a waiting period in WA, if you don't have a WA CPL?

Hey buckko...we paid for a background check. You want instant? Go get checked out!

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The young PFC catches on quickly. . .

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]
So what kind of new shooter did you get?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep with Mil ID and Orders your good to go.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
NICS is good enough in most states ... who's liberal turd came up with the idea that you have to get two background checks for guns in WA?

Well, that's good enough for me to save my very very meager gun money for trips to Oregon.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
All you need is a copy of your orders and your military ID. I have done this about 5 times since being stationed in this state.

roger, same here... about the same number of times even.  

i always used my auto registration or my orders to buy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
NICS is good enough in most states ... who's liberal turd came up with the idea that you have to get two background checks for guns in WA?

Well, that's good enough for me to save my very very meager gun money for trips to Oregon.

The same geniuses that said no full auto, no SBR and that you can own a suppressor, put it on, but you can't actually use it.

Your good to go with long guns in Oregon. Regardless of your military status unless your an Oregon resident purchase of a pistola in Oregon will require an FFL transfer. You can not "buy" (as in take possession of directly) a pistol outside your state of residence. Don't you love the BATFE and our wonderful gun laws?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Oregon is my state of residence

And we don't have no stinkin' waiting periods!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Oregon is my state of residence

And we don't have no stinkin' waiting periods!

You didn't say that before! Good on ya'.

And your excuse for NOT having a CPL is?  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got an Oregon CHL.  My intent was to get a UT one, since it's valid in all the same states WA's is, including WA, plus some others were WA's isn't valid.

We'll see, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top