Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 6:03:10 PM EDT

A relative of mine lives in NJ and asked me to find her a weapon for home defense.

I don't have any idea what gun laws are like there though.
Is there any law against her having just a plain pump-action 18" 12 gauge?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as that barrel doesnt go shorter than 18 inches, shes fine and she can add anything she wants to a pump shotgun since our "evil" restrictions apply only to semi autos.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as she has an FID card to buy it (assuming she buys it in state), everything is good. Whatever she wants on it is fine.

May I suggest an 870?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Alright, so if she (legally) buys it in PA. She can load it with #1 buck and leave it in her house in NJ with no problems?

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Alright, so if she (legally) buys it in PA. She can load it with #1 buck and leave it in her house in NJ with no problems?

As long as the purchase in PA is from an FFL (and all that entails) then to your question: YES

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
NO.  I work at a gun store in PA and am a NJ resident.  When the FFL calls in the background check with PICS and they learn that you are a Jersey resident they will ask if the purchaser has an FOID card. IF THE ANSWER IS NO YOU WILL BE DENIED.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NO .  I work at a gun store in PA and am a NJ resident.  When the FFL calls in the background check with PICS and they learn that you are a Jersey resident they will ask if the purchaser has an FOID card. IF THE ANSWER IS NO YOU WILL BE DENIED.

Your explanation is correct.

And as I said, she needs her FID card and a completed Certificate of Eligibility in order for her purchase to be legal. Then her ownership and keeping at home is all kosher.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#7]
on pump shotguns can you add magazine tube extensions?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#8]
If she is legally a current resident of NJ she has to have a NJ FID to buy a a shotgun.  With a FID she can purchase in NJ or PA.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
on pump shotguns can you add magazine tube extensions?

Yes (for non-field use)
And you're not even controlled by the 15 round limit (not semi), just practicality
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top