Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 12:56:18 PM EDT

It seems I need 2 references to get a permit in PA. Anyone know what kind of questions they ask? Is it general background check stuff or will OPSEC be broken with "So what do you think about Drago carrying a gun?"

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never heard of them actually calling the references for residents. Not sure if they do for non residents.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
They never call. Too many other things to do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never heard of them actually calling the references for residents. Not sure if they do for non residents.
View Quote

When i got my non resident permit out of pike county in 2013 they never called my 2 references.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Monroe county will mail the two references postcards to fill out. They ask if you are of sane mind and upstanding character. Personally I thinks it's bullshit that they mail them. Also if they don't get them back quick enough they outright deny your permit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same in Bucks County
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. My references have never been contacted.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Joshua Prince has mentioned that calling references is actually in direct violation of the confidentiality clause in applying for a license. Basically, no one is supposed to divulge any information. If a sheriff calls a reference, he is in violation by divulging the fact that you are applying for a LTCF.

Berks Co is no longer requiring references on the application.

http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/11/13/berks-county-sheriff-weaknecht-no-longer-requiring-references-on-ltcf-applications/
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Same in Bucks County
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same in Bucks County

I really need to go to Doylestown and apply.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
They called my references in Delaware County first time I applied (10+ years ago). Same for my wife. My last renewal though they did not call. I have read that the practice has stopped in my county but I don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#10]
They never called mine. It all depends on what county. Some are great (mine). And some are a nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]
They called mine for my first application over ten years ago. In fact I had one phone number wrong and it delayed the approval. As soon as they got the correct number they called and I had my LTCF right away in the mail. This was Butler County. That may have been under a different sheriff, no idea if they still call today.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
So everyone is aware, I was able to convince even the City of Philadelphia that contacting a reference was a violation of the confidentiality provisions - http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/10/29/settlement-approved-in-philadelphia-class-action-lawsuit-regarding-disclosure-of-confidential-ltcf-information/. Also, Perry County does not require references (and I believe there are many more counties that no longer require them based on the Philly litigation) - http://blog.princelaw.com/2015/01/09/perry-county-sheriff-nace-does-not-require-references-on-ltcf-applications/
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Seems the 2 counties in my AO do not issue non-resident permits (Lehigh and Northampton)  

Y'all need to get with the program and have the State police handle them like VA does.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
No call to my or my wifes references in Northampton County. They did call my work phone (I use a second cell phone for work) they left a message but I didn't return the call. I don't see how it could be legal for them to contact an employer regarding a LTCF..
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So everyone is aware, I was able to convince even the City of Philadelphia that contacting a reference was a violation of the confidentiality provisions - http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/10/29/settlement-approved-in-philadelphia-class-action-lawsuit-regarding-disclosure-of-confidential-ltcf-information/. Also, Perry County does not require references (and I believe there are many more counties that no longer require them based on the Philly litigation) - http://blog.princelaw.com/2015/01/09/perry-county-sheriff-nace-does-not-require-references-on-ltcf-applications/
View Quote

Interdasting!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top