Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 11:54:12 AM EDT
Hey guys....I knew you would be the ones to ask....

I have a ar15 lower reciever I would like to give to a close family member in WA.

I will be flying up to see him in a few weeks.....

What is the easiest way to give him the reciever ? Should I pack it in my luggage and declare it before I board on the airplane or ship it using Fedex or UPS.

Has anybody flown with declared firearms recently? What type of container does it need to be etc?

Or if shipping can I ship directly to him with a note on the box as to it not being opened by anybody but myself?

Thanks for your help.


Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:48:17 PM EDT
Put it in a lockable firearm case, like a smaller Pelican case type, declare it at the counter of the airline and have it put with the checked baggage. I take firearms with me all the time when I fly and have had no problems yet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:46:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:31:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 12:54:23 AM EDT by Mak]
That all deals with selling of a firearm. What is the law pertaining to giving the firearm as a gift to a close family member? I think the transfer of a firearm to a family member should be legal without going through a FFL as long as the receiving family member is not prohibited by any state or federal laws from owning such a firearm. Sure, it is going across state lines but it is not being sold to an unknown person, it is not being sold at all, it is being given as a gift to a close family member.

My dad lives in another state and gives me rifles and pistols all the time. Last deer hunting season in Michigan he gave me my deceased mothers .30-30. Did he commit a federal crime? No, as a bequest is legal even across state lines. My father is dying of cancer and he has been getting everything in order by giving myself, my brother and sisters what he wants them to have. Some of us live in different states.

shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires
a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other
than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or
receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to
purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not
apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in
conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall
not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any
State prior to the effective date of this chapter

One of my sisters bought me an O/U shotgun. These are gifts of firearms.

I could be wrong but in nearly 20 years I have never knowingly come across a person convicted of a federal firearms violation for giving a close family member a firearm as a gift when that person could legally possess that firearm. This is a stupid law. Take it up with you on the plane and pay a dealer to transfer it to him.

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
Since you are crossing state lines it needs to go through a dealer to remain legal.


(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any state. A firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-state source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the
purchaser's own state? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Top Top