Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 8:33:20 PM EDT
Hi!,
Let me start off by saying that while I'm from the north, I've never "Fit in" around here. Many people I talk and work with have been from southern, or western states, and many have stated that I must have been switched at birth! For surely I was a southerner at heart.......

I'm on a search on good places to move to. I'd like it to be a gun friendly state (for obvious reasons), and I hate cold weather & liberals!

Today, a gentleman at one of Our customer's shops, told Me that he was returning to Georgia and thought I should move there too. His exact words were "Y'all should quit putting up with this state and move to Georgia too! Ya like to hunt, and shoot, and there's enough good payin' work that the only ones not got a job, is the ones who don't want to work!"

I've known him, and we've talked casually for about 2 years, but this was kind of unexpected (by Me!).

I mean... Here is a good, hard working guy, who really doesn't know Me all that well, giving Me good advice on getting the heck out of this state, where to go, and how good the job market is there.

In short I was humbled that, even though he didn't know me all that well, He though well enough of Me to try to help me with good advice!

We had talked about Our families, jobs, and life a little when I would drop off parts at the shop. Just casual talk, as we both were doing Our respective jobs, but I would always make sure to at least say Hi whenever I was by (just in My nature).

Anyway!

I'd never checked out Georgia before. I visited Chattanooga when I was a young teen, but that was many years ago(I'm 43 now +Wife & Kids!).

So, If any of you could give me a little info about your state I'd be grateful!

What is the housing market like?
Job Market?
What are the good cities/Towns?
What are the Bad Cities/Towns?
How are the Gun laws?
Hunting?
Gun shows?
Gun shops?
Class III?

I know, Long story & allot of questions! Sorry!

Thanks!
Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 8:56:04 PM EDT by GlockSpeed31]
Double Tap, sorry!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:49:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 8:55:47 PM EDT by GlockSpeed31]
Double Tap, sorry!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 8:55:25 PM EDT by GlockSpeed31]
Double Tap, sorry!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 8:55:03 PM EDT by GlockSpeed31]
Double Tap, sorry!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:52:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 8:54:46 PM EDT by GlockSpeed31]
Double Tap, sorry!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:53:21 PM EDT

So, If any of you could give me a little info about your state I'd be grateful!

What is the housing market like? Booming! Starter homes from $130's & up

Job Market? Somewhat good, depends what you do?

What are the good cities/Towns? Lots of them, depends on your housing & schooling needs.

What are the Bad Cities/Towns? Lots of them

How are the Gun laws? Pretty lax, it is a "Shall Issue" state, can get a carry permit fairly easy. There is no gun registration as in some states.

Hunting? Lots of good hunting down here. Deer season is about 3 weeks away for archery.

Gun shows? 2 main shows around town about 1 a month

Gun shops? A good number of them, depends on what part of town.

Class III? Yep!

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:36:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:59:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:
Hey, GlockSpeed31. You okay there bud?

PWD, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:14:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:47:49 AM EDT
I think you need to hop on I-75 south and cruise down through KY, TN, and GA. Do a little vacation/relocation recon.

You will be labeled as a Yankee, but that is alright(it probably depends on your accent). I work with a guy from Philly. He's been here for 13 yrs and the nickname has stuck and he loves it.

It's a big state. You got some mountains up closer to TN and then it gets flat. I came from TN. You would probably like it there as well. It's a great state. No income tax yet, but sales tax is a killer. I am over near the coast (yeah GA has one, I think most people dont realize that).

You probably would want to pick a team from the SEC to pull for.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:19:58 AM EDT

Hey, GlockSpeed31. You okay there bud?

Now that got me chuckling.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:33:08 PM EDT
Sorry for all the posts that didn't make any sense. It was late and I am still trying to get over the stomach flu from this weekend. Kinda loopy if you know what I mean.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:40:51 PM EDT
No problem there GlockSpeed31, been in the same boat myself...

Thanks for all of the replies guys!

To "Fill In" a little more info about Myself and My situation....

I'm working as an Electronics Technician (with 26+years Exp.) Working for a Major OEM Electrical/Electronics Automotive Supplier Here in the Metro Detroit area.

I've been with the same company for 19+ years, but I'm getting "Lost" and Screwed in the Corporate B.S. that has taken over here in the last few years.....I've taken all I can stand, and I've had enough!

I am Married, 19years this September. Two Kids, Girls, 14 & 17.

I've lived in Michigan all of My life, and HATE the cold & snow + the Liberal BS that parts of this state are Full of! It's a beautiful state, just full of a lot of Losers!

I'm looking for somewhere to move to that I can do an honest days work, for an honest days pay. Where I can shoot, hunt and fish, alone, or with My friends. Somewhere I can not have to worry about it snowing and not being able to get out of My driveway, without shoveling 10" of snow out of the way first! Somewhere that People know that real BBQ isn't done on a gas grill!

I'd love to have a nice piece of "Rural" land, maybe in the hills. Not too far from a city that I could find work in. Not too humid (I can't take it anymore!) but nice and warm!

Is there a place in Georgia like that?

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:19:05 PM EDT

Everything you want is here,other than the low humidity (It only lasts a few months though)
I don't think you will ever see ten inches of snow here,unless your neighbor blows all his onto your driveway too,even in the northernmost part of the state.
The rural land isn't that hard,depending on how much land you want and how much money you have to spend.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:33:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:14:58 PM EDT
Humid?

Nah never heard of it............

Hold on I need to wring out my shirt.

Yep the last couple of weeks, I've been sweating worse than a whore at church.

Not only do you sweat because of the humidity,

wait till you see your electric bill for the month.

Oi!

Buzz.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:35:48 AM EDT
I just moved here from NY about 3 months ago. I settled in the Blueridge area and I love it. Housing is affordable, people are more real down here. The biggest headline in the local paper was about a farmer shooting at wild dogs who attacked his cows. Forget fast paced life, things are slower here. But I like it that way . No matter what you do for work, you probably will make less here but your living expenses will drop too. Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:49:49 AM EDT
There is the Atlanta metro area, then there is the rest of Georgia.

If you like hunting and fishing, and very affordable housing, look to middle Ga. Find Eatonton Ga., and draw a 60 mile circle around it. Fantastic area to live and work in. Even a bunch of cheap lake front property.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:59:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BigPhil:
I think you need to hop on I-75 south and cruise down through KY, TN, and GA. Do a little vacation/relocation recon.

You will be labeled as a Yankee, but that is alright(it probably depends on your accent). I work with a guy from Philly. He's been here for 13 yrs and the nickname has stuck and he loves it.

It's a big state. You got some mountains up closer to TN and then it gets flat. I came from TN. You would probably like it there as well. It's a great state. No income tax yet, but sales tax is a killer. I am over near the coast (yeah GA has one, I think most people dont realize that).

You probably would want to pick a team from the SEC to pull for.

You don't have to worry about being the only Yankee in town, or on the Hometown forum. We need all the gun-toting, tax-paying, hard-working, non-liberals we can get down here.

I'm a Masshole myself.

Bookhound, that should be your next poll, what state/country were you born...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:46:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:08:02 PM EDT

Hell, I was born in New Jersey.

Hey, you know what a yankee is? It's the same as a quickie, but you can do it by yourself.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:10:24 AM EDT

Hell, I was born in New Jersey.

Hey, you know what a yankee is? It's the same as a quickie, but you can do it by yourself.

You are a DAMN yankee.

The difference is that a yankee comes down and visits, then goes home. The damn yankees won't leave.
Top Top