Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 2:21:58 PM EDT
I'm new to Arizona and don't know too much about the outdoor ranges here around the valley.
I have only been to the Rio Salado range in Mesa, which seemed like an okay range for basic paper target shooting. Looked like you could shoot to 500 yards there, but most people there stayed under 100yards.
I hear Ben Avery is the best in the area. I haven't been there, so I must ask why is it better? What does it offer? It is a bit further from me than Rio Salado so I would want to know why I would spend the extra time driving out there.
I would like to find a range where I can shoot at targets other than paper targets. Someplace where I can set up one of those  steel reactive targets. I don't even know if Rio Salado allows them. I didn't see anyone using them. I should ask them next time. Does Ben Avery allow steel targets? I also like where I can more freely rapid fire my rifles without worrying about my hot brass constantly hitting the guy sitting on the bench two feet from me.
I also know many of you will recommend just going out in the desert and shooting. I haven't done this because I do not know where in the desert I could shoot and where it would be legal.
So if anyone around the Phoenix/East Valley area can tell me what roads to where to some open areas where I can park my car and set up some targets and start blasting away, please tell me. I'd appreciate it.I don't drive a 4x4 truck, so driving up some roadless mountainside is not an option for me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Ben Avery
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Try to go to Rio Salado when its not busy.  Then you can blast away all you want.  They do allow metal targets.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Try to go to Rio Salado when its not busy.  Then you can blast away all you want.  They do allow metal targets.

+1.

Rio has a very active practical shooting scene. If you join the club, and can demonstrate your competence at a practical match, they will "punch" your card and allow you to shoot unsupervised on any of the pistol bays (when not otherwise occupied). If you have never shot practical, let me know and I can take you out for a primer session.

At Rio they do have reactive steel targets for pistol only, but if you come to the monthly 2-gun matches there is always a long range rifle stage that comprises several reactive steel rifle targets out to 400yds or more. The shotgun stages are all-steel too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Ben Avery is OK...just don't attempt to shoot targets of "upstanding" individuals: Sadam Huessin and Usama Bin Laden.  I have a letter from Governor Jack Napolitano through AZ. Game and Fish Director, Duane Shroufe.  The letter attempts to answer my concerns in the fact I was told I could NOT shoot these types of targets by Ben Avery RO's.  Governor Jack in the letter to me states:  shooting at pictures of human targets is dehumanizing, shooting at pictures of human targets has in the past, lead to comfrontations at Ben Avery and female visitors to Ben Avery consider the shooting of pictures of human targets as an unsafe practice and very scary.  So we have political and social correctness at Ben Avery run amuck.  I no longer shoot at Ben Avery!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never had a problem at Rio Salado also like the Phoenix rod & gun on 7th & baesline.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Ranges suck.  Desert rules.

The end.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The end.

With the ever changing No Shooting boundaries how does one tell from day to day where it's legal and where it's not? Several of my favorite places have gone from Shooting early this year to No Shooting a month ago.  I'm at the pont that there's no place within an hour's driving distance that I know for sure it's legal.  Plus, since they don't post signs and give warnings it's a bit scary going shooting not knowing when and if the Federales will show up and confiscate your guns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I consistantly read people's comments about shooting in the desert, but I never read anything exactly WHERE in the desert.
Am I just supposed to drive out in the middle of nowhere through the rocks and cactus until I no longer can see a trace of civilization and then set up my personal range or what's the deal?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I consistantly read people's comments about shooting in the desert, but I never read anything exactly WHERE in the desert.
Am I just supposed to drive out in the middle of nowhere through the rocks and cactus until I no longer can see a trace of civilization and then set up my personal range or what's the deal?

1/4 mile (or further is preferrable) from a road or structure on BLM controlled land and you'll be fine.   I avoid national forests as well, personally - but thats up to discretion.  Sometimes there's fire closures and stuff.

Make sure you have a good backstop.  Clean up your junk - including the spent casings.

There ya go.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The end.

With the ever changing No Shooting boundaries how does one tell from day to day where it's legal and where it's not? Several of my favorite places have gone from Shooting early this year to No Shooting a month ago.  I'm at the pont that there's no place within an hour's driving distance that I know for sure it's legal.  Plus, since they don't post signs and give warnings it's a bit scary going shooting not knowing when and if the Federales will show up and confiscate your guns.

1) Don't live in Phoenix and it won't be an hour's drive away.
Besides, an HOUR drive?  An HOUR drive from anywhere in Phoenix proper and you'll be way out ther.  Its slightly over an hour from Phoenix to Tucson!
2) Are you from the PRK?  That sounds like a PRK thing to be afraid of.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The end.

Besides, an HOUR drive?  An HOUR drive from anywhere in Phoenix proper and you'll be way out ther.  Its slightly over an hour from Phoenix to Tucson!

Sounds like its been a while since you've been to Phoenix.  One hour in any direction and all you will see is more houses and businesses.  Your best bet in Phoenix area is to use a range - Unless you live on the far edge of town and the open desert is only a 15 minute drive.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The end.

And has DPS ever arrested you for wreckless driving on your one hour trips to tucson?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The end.

And has DPS ever arrested you for wreckless driving on your one hour trips to tucson?

The southern edge of Phoenix to the Northern Edge of Tucson is about 86 miles, and the posted speed limit is 75 miles.   Therefore its a little over one hour, 1.5 at the most.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Desert Shooting 101:

1.  Locate nearest BLM office.

2.  Drive to said office

3. Request a couple of topos.

4. Enjoy.

Repeat above procedure for National Forrests.  Pay attention to fire restrictions.  Clean up your brass and debris.

Suggestion 2....man-up and buy a truck.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Cordes Lakes Shooting hole is amazing!   The berm is a 150 foot granite pit wall
there's even an overturned car to blast at, although there's not much left of it or the body inside....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Where is this Cordes lakes?

Doug
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

mostly we dont tell out spots becouse a few jackassed  trash the place and ruin it for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mostly we dont tell out spots becouse a few jackassed  trash the place and ruin it for the rest of us.

+1

I have a "private range" that I shoot at all the time, well, whenever I get the chance to. It's only about 30 minutes from where I live, and is out in the middle of nowhere practically, and up a deep, soft sand wash. Those without a good 4x4 couldn't even make it up the wash. No other way in/out. Good view of the mountain, to keep an eye out for clouds for obvious reasons. Other than that no worries -- either for backstops, wind, or other shooters. True freedom! And no, I will not tell you were it is! Actually, I know several places like that...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top