Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 8:12:53 AM EDT
My brother has ben given the choice of finding a new line of work and moving to Bethel Alaska. He likes his job so he is planning on moving to Alaska. He doesn't know anybody who lives ther, or has lived there in the last several years (he know one guy who sounds like a barracks lawyer type, who told him that there was no point in taking any of his guns to AK because they would all be illegal there and that there is nothing to hunt in Alaska). What I would like is some opinions from some folks who actually know what they are talking about it. He has mostly lived in the Southeast US, although he spent last winter in St. Cloud MN, and we spent three years in Germany when we were teenagers. I was wondering if I should recomend him trading in his vehicle for a 4X4 (he drives a late model Mustang)? Of course hw will need warmer close up there than he needs living in NC. I guess he just needs plain old fashioned advice from folks who have been there. So what would you folks who have grown up there. When I was in basic training there was an Eskimo in my class (Ft. Jackson SC, in Sept. He had never left Kipnuk before, I know he needed alot of advice about living in the south before he came, too bad the recruiter didn't give him any), I would hate to see my little brother in that same situation, getting off of a plane like a fresh idiot, not having a clue about what to expect. he has checked out the weather channel website and some other sites boneing up on the great white north, but there is no replacement for experience, so what do you Alaskans think?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cold, you can shoot.  Native village.  Impossible to get non-natives to stay in the area for very long.  No sewer system.  Miserable.  Is he single?  Hope he doesn't like sex.
Knock yourself out.
(Note, this from the Bush pilot sitting next to me right now)
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. That is as first hand as it gets. Anybody else?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Bethel?  No way!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
No.  Not Bethel.  Just No.  Don't ask more, just No.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top