Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2008 4:25:32 AM EDT
We are looking at possibly relocating out to Oregon, wife may be taking a job in Portland.

Any info on the area would be great.  Concealed carry good to go? How about Class III, any restrictions? any weird little gun laws?

also what would be considered a good community outside of portland with not to bad of a commute, close to mountains/shooting ranges/national forest/outdoors/fishing, with decent schools......if any places like that exist please do tell!  

Thanks for the info in advance

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can afford it, Sherwood is very nice, and even further is McMinnville.  Newberg is between the two and very nice as well w/ a fair commute.

Oregon is NFA Friendly w/ no probs or little issues
Concealed Carry is relatively easy to get
There is a very nice range "Tri County Gun Club" w/ reasonable membership and great facilities located in Sherwood.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you can afford it, Sherwood is very nice, and even further is McMinnville.  Newberg is between the two and very nice as well w/ a fair commute.

There is a very nice range "Tri County Gun Club" w/ reasonable membership and great facilities located in Sherwood.

Newberg is HELL and should be wiped from the face of the planet.

Sherwood is nice though

CCW is good to go. All NFA stuff is fine. One of the free-est states in The Union.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in Portland itself. Both my wife and I have OR CHLs and UT CHLs so we can go across the river w/o having to leave the pistols behind.

The Multnomah county (Portland city area) sheriff does sign off on class 3 weapons, but includes a letter saying he doesn't approve. OTOH, you still get your NFA toys.

Commuting in the PDX area sucks, not as bad as LA or Seattle, but rush-hour still turns the local highways into parking lots. Try to live close to work, commuting on surface streets is the way to go. The other alternative, if work is near the light rail (Max commuter train) that's a good option too.

The other good range in the PDX area is Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. I'm a member there and I like it. www.douglasridge.org/

BSW
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sherwood is nice though

CCW is good to go. All NFA stuff is fine. One of the free-est states in The Union.

Newberg is not hell, just because they wont let people like you live there means it's a good place
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#5]
There are many nice areas to live.  It will depend on what area you will be working.  The commute from the West side to downtown is pretty bad.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Oregon has closed the 'gunshow loophole' so you need a background check to buy a firearm at a gun show.

Quoted:
There are many nice areas to live.  It will depend on what area you will be working.  The commute from the West side to downtown is pretty bad.

It depends how far west and if you only take the freeway. My commute from Beaverton to down by the Fremont bridge is about 15-18 minutes without getting on 26 at all.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info gents.

I am in KY now, and have been spoiled will all the 2nd amendment goodness that comes with living here.

If we had to live in portland due to the commute, what would be some good neighborhoods parts of the city with that are safe with good schools etc......
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We are looking at possibly relocating out to Oregon, wife may be taking a job in Portland.

Any info on the area would be great.  Concealed carry good to go? How about Class III, any restrictions? any weird little gun laws?

also what would be considered a good community outside of portland with not to bad of a commute, close to mountains/shooting ranges/national forest/outdoors/fishing, with decent schools......if any places like that exist please do tell!  

Thanks for the info in advance

when you say a job in Portland, you mean down town portland or portland and the surrounding areas?

IF youre working in downtown, you would want to find a place close to a bus line and or max lines or drive/bike/walk or combo of.

PDX is close to everything.   people fish in downtown or some of the other rivers and lakes.  

Oregon allows classe III.  but i think you will have to wait for your residency to apply for any Class III.

also.  if you dont have a job, i would make sure you have one before you come here.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info gents.

I am in KY now, and have been spoiled will all the 2nd amendment goodness that comes with living here.

If we had to live in portland due to the commute, what would be some good neighborhoods parts of the city with that are safe with good schools etc......

Portland has Lincoln High School which is highly ranked nationwide for public schools. Also Chapman Elementary School is supposed to be really good. I don't know about the middle school but I'm sure it's good as well. There is a lot of money in North West Portland...

My wife and I actually live in a condo in the "Pearl District" in downtown Portland. We love it there and the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office will sign off on class 3 as mentioned above. Great restaurants and bars, the only problem is you need to drive about 20 minutes to get to a rifle range. There is a fairly close handgun range just about 5 minutes north (without traffic) in Delta Park.

Downtown Portland has a real "hippy" feel to it, especially where I live, but trust me when I say we have plenty of smart conservative people like myself (We just keep a low profile.)
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#10]
School report cards are available here:

www.ode.state.or.us/data/reportcard/reports.aspx

Bear in mind that high performing schools usually accompany high property prices. This can of course all be relative depending on where in the world you are coming from.

www.pps.k12.or.us/schools-c/map/

Maps the school catchment areas, but you may not wish to live in Portland-proper and instead be in the tri-met area. Depends on where work will be and what your budget/needs are.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I think you will be shocked by the cost of housing in Portland relative to KY.

Try RMLS.com to get an idea of what houses cost here.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think you will be shocked by the cost of housing in Portland relative to KY.

Indeed. My wife has family in London, KY, so I've seen first-hand the disparity.

First time I ever saw a house selling for less than a new Toyota Camry!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
There is also living far east side ie; Troutdale, Corbett, Hood River etc as an option.
Hood River is an hour out of pdx but MANY people make the drive as living out here is worth it. Sheriff is a gun nut to so no NFA troubles in HR county. Lots of public land for hunting hiking fishing wate rsports and of course only 30 minutes from the ski resorts.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There is also living far east side ie; Troutdale, Corbett, Hood River etc as an option.
Hood River is an hour out of pdx but MANY people make the drive as living out here is worth it. Sheriff is a gun nut to so no NFA troubles in HR county. Lots of public land for hunting hiking fishing wate rsports and of course only 30 minutes from the ski resorts.

+ eleventybillion

That is the best place to live.

I'm on the westside and trapped by traffic on the weekends as well as weekdays. It can be 45min-1hr to go to the mall 15 miles away. To get to most of the recreational areas it also means going through or around Portland twice. The population keeps growing with no place for new roads so traffic is going to get monstrously worse in years to come.

The far eastside is the best place live if you have any choice in the matter.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Awww, just surrender and realize that for the blend of access to Portland, PDX, I-5 and I-205/212/26 and I-84 to head out at the weekend, along with a safe neighborhood and excellent schools, you really need to look at West Linn or Lake Oswego.

CNN Money "Top 100 best places to live"
West Linn

The appeal of living way out East or West when working in Portland is going to atrophy as gas heads upwards. The difference between a 30 mile round trip commute and a 120+ mile round trip in a 30mpg average econobox is already $240 a month. If gas hits Europe-like $10 a gallon prices, that difference will soar to $600 a month.

That will not be good for the property market outside of major urban centers, especially as we've run out of retiring Kalifornicators overpaying and propping up house prices.....
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Awww, just surrender and realize that for the blend of access to Portland, PDX, I-5 and I-205/212/26 and I-84 to head out at the weekend, along with a safe neighborhood and excellent schools, you really need to look at West Linn or Lake Oswego.

CNN Money "Top 100 best places to live"
West Linn

The appeal of living way out East or West when working in Portland is going to atrophy as gas heads upwards. The difference between a 30 mile round trip commute and a 120+ mile round trip in a 30mpg average econobox is already $240 a month. If gas hits Europe-like $10 a gallon prices, that difference will soar to $600 a month.

That will not be good for the property market outside of major urban centers, especially as we've run out of retiring Kalifornicators overpaying and propping up house prices.....

+1
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Somehow I think coming from Kentucky,  the OP doesn't want to live in the city.
I could be wrong though.

What kind of work do you and your wife do?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:

I grew up in Jersey City and Newark, NJ.  Then I spent a little time in the service of Uncle Sam in places where the local populations apparently have an overabundance of 7.62x39mm ammunition and no indoor plumbing.  Then I worked for years as a police officer in Phoenix, AZ, where I patrolled neighborhoods with nicknames like "Rock Block", "Thunderdome" and "The Crystal Palace".  I now live in Newberg.  If your definition of hell is Newberg, you need to travel more. Newberg is just fine, J-L.  Stay on the North end of town and you'll find some very nice homes and good schools.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#19]
edited
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread but I have a question for you guys.  

We are looking at moving to PDX as well.  The girlfriend is looking like she will get a job in Vancouver, It looks like I will get hired on in Hillsboro.  

Where would be the best place to live?  Downtown?  Beaverton?  East side?  Im pretty sure I can take the max, what is the best location for her to get out of town?  

i would start a new thread.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Again thanks for the all the responses guys.....

Where to start: we currently live in northern Kentucky, which being only about 20 minutes from Cincinnati it is pretty suburbia/built up.

My wife and I both work in the medical field, the hospital is Legacy Emmanuel Childrens hospital, if you guys know where that is

our dilemma is pretty much already mentioned in this thread, live close in, be close to the hospital - but be far from the country and the fun stuff

or live out in the country, have a helluva commute but be close to the mountains etc....

I can tell you right now my wife would prefer to be 5 minutes from the hospital.

Is there any commuities that may be a good balance of somewhat close to the above mentioned hospital, yet somewhat close to shooting/mountains etc...

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#22]
"Legacy Emmanuel Childrens hospital"

OK, so that's just off I-5 on the east side of the river, North of the Rose Bowl. My wife used to work L&D and post partum there. Not the most salubrious area of NE Portland. You can generally tell how nice any part of any city is by how far it is from "Martin Luther King Boulevard". The further away, the better. Your wife probably would not want to live five minutes from the hospital. For somewhat lower crime, but still close to the hospital, you might consider areas like "Alameda" (along Fremont between 21st and 33rd). But my knowledge of that area is very sketchy as NE Portland is somewhere I do my best to avoid.

Well paid medical profession types might seek sanctuary in a nice expensive condo in "the pearl" as mentioned previously, or you can beat the retreat East on I-84 and down I-205 to Places like "Happy Valley" with their tiered 400/600/800K properties up the hill.

Cheers

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Not really looking for a condo.

Is "Happy Valley" its own town or part of Portland?

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Happy Valley is here:

maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=happy+valley,+OR&ie=UTF8&ll=45.447366,-122.536697&spn=0.034504,0.088921&t=h&z=14&iwloc=addr

realtor.com shows 671 houses with 3+ beds and 2+ baths for sale ranging from $205K to $3M.

I don't profess to know much about it though, as I live in West Linn, work in Wilsonville and my wife works in Oregon City and up Near Clackamas Town Center.

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Again thanks for the all the responses guys.....

Where to start: we currently live in northern Kentucky, which being only about 20 minutes from Cincinnati it is pretty suburbia/built up.

My wife and I both work in the medical field, the hospital is Legacy Emmanuel Childrens hospital, if you guys know where that is

our dilemma is pretty much already mentioned in this thread, live close in, be close to the hospital - but be far from the country and the fun stuff

or live out in the country, have a helluva commute but be close to the mountains etc....

I can tell you right now my wife would prefer to be 5 minutes from the hospital.

Is there any commuities that may be a good balance of somewhat close to the above mentioned hospital, yet somewhat close to shooting/mountains etc...

Thanks!

That hospital is the major trauma center for PDX, SW WA and just about Oregon.  

most likely what you think of "mountians" we think of "hills".   You wont be out in the "mountians/country" and be close.  there is so much kalifornia sprawl that its hard to find what you want.  Most of it is developed or will be if the developers have thier way.

there are pockts of great neighborhoods in PDX.  even the hood has been gentrafied and still is being as i type.

youre either going to have a commute to work or commute to play. its all up to you.

there are areas north of vancouver/battleground/camas thas is somewhat rural.  ALso, some places NW PDX in the scappoose/st helens area.    The commute into PDX from WA sucks, also back to Vancouver sucks too.  Now if you can swing some type of off shift then it woundnt be bad.  Vancouver is considered PDXs bedroom BTW.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#26]
There are probably as many opinions about different areas as there are persons that reply. I suggest just renting a place or staying in extended stay until you can scope out the area for yourself (if that is viable). The commute could change drastically if you don't work steady day shift.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Northwest Portland is 5 minutes or less to LEH.
Northwest has the best schools in the Portland Public School system.
Your 45-50 minutes from Browns for some Class III fun.

IMHO I would personally stay away from the East side because it's kind of dirty and higher crime... Then again I live in the Pearl therefore I'm a "snob"...
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

IMHO I would personally stay away from the East side because it's kind of dirty and higher crime... Then again I live in the Pearl therefore I'm a "snob"...

You live in the Pearl? Yep SNob!
Honestly how can you stand to live in downtown pdx? That would be hell for me, pure hell.
I need room to stretch my legs. I need to be able to go outside and not see a neighbor.

Close in east side = bad
Far out east side past Gresham = great
Further out (Hood River, Sandy Corbet) = Great

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You live in the Pearl? Yep SNob!
Honestly how can you stand to live in downtown pdx? That would be hell for me, pure hell.
I need room to stretch my legs. I need to be able to go outside and not see a neighbor.

Close in east side = bad
Far out east side past Gresham = great
Further out (Hood River, Sandy Corbet) = Great

Well we have a 1720sqft two bedroom which is big enough for the two of us and our two Labradors. When we decide to have kids on the other hand... We'll need to move. I grew up out in the country so living in the urban lifestyle is a fun little change. Hell you can't beat the restaurants!

Also we have a nice big deck that I have my Weber on. I couldn't live without my grill that's for sure. Picked up one of those nice gas ones with rotis burner and a smoker box. Building has a NG line too so I never have to refill a tank. Would have gone with Charcoal, but it's not allowed...
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Was looking on line at real estate.

In your estimation how long of a drive do you guys think it would be from the Happy Valley Area to downtown PDX?

Mapquest says 17 miles.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
In your estimation how long of a drive do you guys think it would be from the Happy Valley Area to downtown PDX?

Depends on time of day and route taken, as well as where in Happy Valley you're coming from. Closer to I-205 and Clackamas (but still east of I-205) and it may knock 5 to 10 minutes off. Maybe 30 minutes if I-84 is good. Maybe 40 to 50 minutes on a bad day. I don't drive up there a lot myself so it's an approximate guess. Surface streets (Foster=>Powell) may be more predictable, but likely slower if the freeway is moving well. And a motorcycle doesn't buy you much since lane splitting is not legal in OR.

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#32]
if you need to be near portland id recommend somewhere in clackamas county close to portland but not a liberal fairly good neighborhoods depending i live in a really nice working class neighborhood with the exception of the neighbors from hell moving in behind us (probably from portland)
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
if you need to be near portland id recommend somewhere in clackamas county close to portland but not a liberal fairly good neighborhoods depending i live in a really nice working class neighborhood with the exception of the neighbors from hell moving in behind us (probably from portland)

Good luck with that 40 minute commute to LEH...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#34]
height=8
Quoted:

IMHO I would personally stay away from the East side because it's kind of dirty and higher crime... Then again I live in the Pearl therefore I'm a "snob"... he and near Greshamher
The commute from NW portland is pretty short but living in that neighborhood will be $$.

FWIW, The commute from close-in SW (burlingame, mult village, OHSU, west hills) to legacy emanuel is pretty short as well. Aside from traffic from rt 26, 405 is not too bad in the mornings.  

Since you are medical types, if you guys will be working eves and nights, traffic might be much much less.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#35]
ARLINGTON HEIGHTS FTW!!!!

I know of a great deal on a house there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top