Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 6:03:51 PM EDT
I have the possibility of working as an engineering intern at the Henderson Mill near Empire, colo.  Do any of you guys know the area or the mill/mine?  

Any thoughts?

Summer housing in area?

thanks, Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it's pretty cool.  In elementary school we got to take tours (20+ years ago)
it's between denver and winter park.
There are two enterences, one near dillon, one near empire.  I would bet most people live in Idaho springs.
it's a pretty area.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 3 freinds that work at the mine one is a dispatcher the other hauls 12,000 lbs of ANFO at a time and the other is a supervisor. They all commute from Denver it is not that far away.

If you have any specific questions if I can't answer them I will ask one of my buddies.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Mike:

Henderson mine or mill?

For the mine, Idaho springs/empire would be the best bet.  For the mill, Frisco, dillon and silverthorne are the most likely housing options.  Either way, there are lots of carpools that go to both sides.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
SRM it is the Mill.  

HunterCO, I don't have any specific questions, as they are just interviewing.  I have found a cool tidbit though, they have a 15mile conveyer that carries ore to the mill UNDER the divide.  That is just cool!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep my buddies told me about that they just built that a few years ago 2 of them worked there when they did it by rail. Maybe more than a few years hell they both have worked there for a long time. I am not very good with time so be nice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The mill?  Hell, that is a great summer job.  Live in the resorts towns on off season rates and enjoy all the entertainment.  Join a carpool to work.

My friend was one on the principle designers on Henderson 2000.  Don't let anyone kid you, there are some serious engineering challenges associated with a 15 mile continuous belt.  I believe it took the german company one year and one plant to make the belt.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#7]
The interview is this morning...  we will see how it goes...  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
well.  It went ok, but they said they would call me.  It all went good until I said I can start on the first of June due to Senior Design/mini baja competition.  Everybody else can start at may 12th.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top