Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2018 1:42:23 PM EDT
I haven't sold/shipped any of my personal firearms for a few years.  I am now planning on selling a few of my handguns and rifles via GunBroker and I would like to know if any of the carriers/shippers have changed any of their rules.  The guns will be shipped to a FFL in the buyer's state of residence (of course!).

So, the last time I did any of this (probably 4 or 5 years ago) I sent rifles and shotguns using U.S. Postal Service.  I shipped handguns using FedEX.  I DO NOT have any FFL of any kind.

Questions ---
1.  Can a non-FFL still send rifles and shotguns to a FFL using the U.S. Postal Service?
2.  Can a non-FFL still send handguns to a FFL using UPS or FedEX?  [I got into a debate with FedEX employees on this the last time I attempted to send a handgun with them --- but they did finally agree to ship the gun for me.]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The rules are still the same.  You should be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rules are still the same.  You should be good to go.
View Quote
I sure hope so.  My main concern is with shipping the handguns.  The employees at UPS and FedEX don't always seem to know the rules on that --- although they CLAIM that they do know.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If you do this, check with the receiving FFL first. Some of them won't accept a gun from a non FFL, even if it's legal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's what I could find online:

ATF regarding USPS long guns;

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

ATF on shipping to out of state FFL;

[ur]https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca[/url]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you do this, check with the receiving FFL first. Some of them won't accept a gun from a non FFL, even if it's legal.
View Quote
I have always made a point to include this in my GunBroker ads --- to check with their transferring FFL about receiving firearms from a non-FFL before bidding.

I am aware of the shipping rules at the Federal level (BATFE) --- just wanted to make sure that the actual carriers hadn't thrown in a monkey wrench in the last few years.  Called the FedEx 1-800 number Monday afternoon and was connected to someone in the "Dangerous Goods" department that could advise me on handgun shipping.  All good.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#6]
It's often cheaper to ship a handgun from FFL to FFL as the FFL can ship HGs via USPS and in s flat rate Box.  Roughly 20-25 to ship insured plus the FFL fee (40-50 total) vs. "next day air or 2nd day air" (75.00?).
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Issue I ran into years ago shipping a Taurus revolver in for warranty work.

I went by my local Staples, which had a UPS shipping counter.  I filled out all of the paperwork and got down to a question about what was being shipped.  When I told them it was a handgun, they said that they couldn't ship it.  I told them that UPS ships guns all the time.  Turns out that Staples had some sort of policy against shipping guns.  I ended up going to FedEx.

The next time I needed to ship a gun through UPS, I told Staples that it was a "precision hole punch".
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I am in north KC, just a few miles south of Smithville.  Lee's Summit would be too far to go.

I'll check with a couple of FFLs in my area on what they would charge to send out a handgun.  If anyone knows of someone with a FFL in my area that might be able to help I would appreciate the info.

As far as FedEx goes, I just go to the "big" FedEx facility on Front Street a few blocks south of the river.  2-day priority shipping can be requested and it is cheaper than overnight.  So, I'm guessing that the difference between FedEx 2-day service (with me shipping the gun myself) vs. paying a FFL and having them ship via USPS will pretty much be a wash.  But I'll check into it!
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Issue I ran into years ago shipping a Taurus revolver in for warranty work.

I went by my local Staples, which had a UPS shipping counter.  I filled out all of the paperwork and got down to a question about what was being shipped.  When I told them it was a handgun, they said that they couldn't ship it.  I told them that UPS ships guns all the time.  Turns out that Staples had some sort of policy against shipping guns.  I ended up going to FedEx.

The next time I needed to ship a gun through UPS, I told Staples that it was a "precision hole punch".
View Quote
UPS requires that you go to a hub, not a UPS Store or anything like that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

UPS requires that you go to a hub, not a UPS Store or anything like that.
View Quote
Same for Fedex…….you can't put it in a dropbox or with a third party.  It must be picked up by the driver, or deliver/declared at the hub.

And for non-dealers, you have to ship via the most expensive method of overnight on handguns.  For me, it's always cheaper just to pay my FFL buddy his $20 fee to take it over to the post office and ship via Priority Mail than to pay for "Priority Overnight".

And unfortunately, most of the rules (including postal code) use the words like "dealer" or -"manufacturer" vs. the word "licensee"......so a 03/C&R doesn't sneak you in.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]
There's a fedex/ups mail type store attached to and owned by an army surplus store here.  He'll take firearms at whatever speed you want to ship them.  It's nice to have a real pro-gun shipping store.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#14]
As expected, my nearest dealer wants $35 + USPS shipping charges to send a handgun.  I can do it myself via FedEx 2-day service for the same money or less.

But.... the visit to the dealer wasn't a waste of time.  Did some "horse trading" and came home with a new gun!
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#15]
As stated before, it is policy for ups and fedex to ship guns overnight.

Try this

www.shipmygun.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top