Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 2:12:52 PM EDT

I took a bus to JFK Airport, and we had to go through the city. The police were causing all kinds of traffic by lining up like this..

Any idea as to what on earth they are doing!?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:32:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:36:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoplite:
Is there a precint near by?

Nada.

Library across the street.

They all started to gather as we were trying to get through.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:57:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:30:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 4:40:27 PM EDT by ZW17]
Was a doughnut shop near buy?

That is who they line up the cars down there. If you go to any precinct you will find that. That is more than the usual though.

Waiting for Wave to chime in.

Edited: The more I look at it you can see the courthouse in the 3rd pic on the left hand side.
That would be your answer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:36:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZW17:
ETA - The more I look at it you can see the court house in your 1st pic on the left hand side. That would be your answer.

Wtf were they transportin to the courthouse?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:38:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 4:41:09 PM EDT by ZW17]

Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

ETA - The more I look at it you can see the court house in your 1st pic on the left hand side. That would be your answer.

They need to just show up. Court dates. I see nothing about transports?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:41:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 5:49:57 PM EDT by rkbar15]
There's no courthouse in that area. All the city and federal courts are downtown. Bryant Park the NYC Public Library are near there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:46:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

They need to just show up. Court dates. I see nothing about transports?

Tis a lot of cops.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:52:46 PM EDT
The other thread said it was a Atlas drill.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=382572
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:02:15 PM EDT
I hate these Atlas drills. They cause unexpected traffic jams everywhere. They also love to drive the little show-of-force parade up the FDR right by my office so I get 30 RMPs in a row going lights and sirens about twice a day.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:17:33 PM EDT
Damn... where's a cop when you need one lol
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:14:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 9:15:10 PM EDT by Hoplite]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:22:54 AM EDT
Since Wave is not patrolling the city anymore, this is what we have to do, to make up for his absence. We'll be paying the "Wave Tax"
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:19:50 AM EDT
What is an Atlas Drill?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:00:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 9:02:13 AM EDT by rkbar15]
Operation Atlas

With the raising of the national alert level from yellow to orange, the New York City Police Department has stepped up anti-terrorism precautions under Operation Atlas. Under Operation Atlas, the Police Department has launched a coordinated defense of the city, using regular patrols as well as police officers equipped with heavy weapons to safeguard landmarks, houses of worship, bridges, tunnels, subways, and the transportation system generally. The alert level in New York City was already at orange, indicting a high risk of attack. Operation Atlas has been underway since the war in Iraq began in March 2003. The staffing and assignments of Operation Atlas change with changing conditions.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:17:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoplite:

Originally Posted By DefMan:
Damn... where's a cop when you need one lol

They must be hurting. I saw ESU pull a guy over the other day.

You'll occassionally see ESU, Aviation, even Harbor guys with traffic stops. We gotta pay da rent.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:20:03 PM EDT
As far as the parking. It's known as "Combat Parking" meaning if needed we can get the F___ out of there quicky. Also imagine if they just parked normally (nose to ass), how much more room would be needed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:32:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:41:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wave:
Damn, I was going to say the UN General Assembly overtime started already?

Don't even joke about that! I hate Sept. when all the worlds assholes leaders come to
N.Y. and totally screw-up traffic!
As for the parking that's Formula One parking, I know because I saw it on Speed Racer!
Go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer gooo!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:57:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lloyd-Jr:

Originally Posted By Wave:
Damn, I was going to say the UN General Assembly overtime started already?

Don't even joke about that! I hate Sept. when all the worlds assholes leaders come to
N.Y. and totally screw-up traffic!
As for the parking that's Formula One parking, I know because I saw it on Speed Racer!
Go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer gooo!

It is going to be especially bad this year since President Clinton is coming to the UN three days before President Bush makes his appearance at the UN.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:19:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 3:31:37 AM EDT by Lloyd-Jr]
I think I saw Atlas in action about a week and a half ago, (other than them just cruising around)
it must have been a "officer needs assistance NOW!" call because cop cars showed up from
everywhere! I mean they were falling out of the sky! It was at Delancey & Chrystie streets
and all I could see was two or three cars in a wreck with one on the sidewalk and some cops
holding at least one guy down. Now I've seen 10-13 calls were everybody shows up but this
was different in that at least twenty cars showed up from across the Manhattan bridge nose
to tail coming up Chrystie and another ten or so on Delancey maybe from the W'burg bridge.
This was in addition to ALL the sector cars from the surrounding Manhattan Pct's.
In the space of 90 seconds over fifty RMP's and un-marked cars got to that intersection.
This was about ten to three o'clock in the AM. I still don't know what happened.
What, nobody could post a picture of the Mark 5??? Hook a brother up!

Edit: also I heard on the radio yesterday that "the NYPD has bought .50 cal. machine guns to
mount on it's helicopters." And "they fire six inch long bullets to stop boats and small planes."
By the end of the day it was ".50 cal. sniper rifles!" I wonder if Sixty Minutes gets a commishion
on the sale
Top Top