Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2007 11:50:27 AM EDT
A very close friend of the family found out that I got into shooting 2 years ago and that I really enjoy it and have developed a knack for it.  He asked me the other day when I was at his place what kind of firearms I like and I told him mostly milsurps and pistols, and that I'll have a precision rifle soon enough and I'll be building another AR15 possibly and my AK parts kit.  He then proceeded to ask what kind of pistols I like, and I told him Glocks, 1911's, and H&K's.  He walked over to his gun safe and pulled out a BNIB H&K USP .45 variant 1.  Basically a conversation ensued about the pistol and he mentioned that the reason he never opened it or shot it was because he wanted to give it to me when I turned 21 to introduce me to shooting.  He said that since I beat him to the chase that he would like to give it to me now and start shooting with me more frequently and training with it.  He's been out shooting with me numerous times, and I've even shot his pistols with him, so he knows I'm a safe shooter.  He actually wanted to buy me a rifle when I graduated from high school but I was only 17 at the time and my parents said no.  Needless to say I'm flattered by his gesture, but in the interest in keeping things legal I told him I'd ask around before I accepted the pistol.  Even though he was planning on giving me the pistol as a gift I was thinking I'd build my extra AK parts kit and give that to him with some mags and ammo as a trade.

So can anyone here tell me if it's ok for me to receive a pistol from an individual within or outside of the state private sale face to face and have it be fully legal if I'm not 21 years old (I'll be 20 in 4 months, I'm calling it private sale but it's really more that he wants to give it to me as a gift)?  

I think I remember reading that it's ok for a parent to give a pistol to a child (trust/pass down sorta deal), but my parents don't really care for firearms and don't want their name associated even loosely with one (as in original registration).  I also seem to recall that all pistol sales must go through a FFL in PA but I can't be 100% certain on that.  Any information would be much appreciated.  I don't want to take possession of it and not have it be legally in my name, doesn't mean I won't go shoot it with him if the opportunity arose
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]
what state do you reside in?
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#2]
My DL says PA on it....time in school doesn't count towards residency, but I live in NC 9 months of the year while I"m at school
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I’d still wait for your 21st birthday.

And you will still have to do a NICS check even if it’s a Face-to-Face.  A Dealer can do it for you for a small fee plus the NICS Fee.  Police departments also can do the NICS check too.  They will also charge the NICS Fee.

But as Club Fed say 21 years, you should wait the time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
figured....oh well I'll wait....not worth having an shipping depot turn into a receiving one as well
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Check into the Sporting permit in Pa.  It is like a carry permit, but you can't carry the gun consealed.  You will still need to go through the NICS.  You can tansport it UNLOADED to an from a range.  It will also let you hunt with a pistol when you are under 21.  I don't remember all the details.  When you turn 21, your Pa CCW permit is also good in Nc.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Check into the Sporting permit in Pa.  It is like a carry permit, but you can't carry the gun consealed.  You will still need to go through the NICS.  You can tansport it UNLOADED to an from a range.  It will also let you hunt with a pistol when you are under 21.  I don't remember all the details.  When you turn 21, your Pa CCW permit is also good in Nc.

Jeremy

As far as I know, you don't need a sporting permit to carry a handgun to and from the range unloaded and locked up, even under 21. I used to do it all the time, just locked it up seperately from ammo. That's what my local LEOs told me to do anyway.

I was told at the time to get a sporting permit for something too. Don't remember the specifics of that episode anymore, but in the end, I couldn't find anyone of relevance who had ever even heard of a 'sporting permit'. Fortunately once you get your CCW, it all becomes irrelevant..
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I figured that if it's transported seperately from the ammo it should be a non-issue, especially if the owner of the pistol is present....which seems like the only way I can shoot it and not run into potential problems with the law.  At this rate though I'll probably end up waiting till I'm 21 to get it.  Bummer that I can't early but it's only another year and 3 months.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
You do NOT need any kind of permit or license in order to take your unloaded handgun to or from a range.

The Sportsman's Permit will allow the person to carry a handgun while hunting, fishing, dog training or trapping. The SP must be carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Except federal law say 18, not 21. An FFL can't sell a handgun to someone under 21, but possession is permitted at 18. Pennsylvania law also sets the minimum age for possession at 18.

height=8
Quoted:

But as Club Fed say 21 years, you should wait the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top