Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 10:34:15 PM EDT
So I have a question concerning gun store etiquette.  Is it disrespectfull to have a gun transfered in to a dealer when you know he has one sitting in the case?  There is a pretty big price difference.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:24:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what the correct etiquette is but I won't order a gun and use my local dealer for a transfer if he has one like it in stock.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:56:38 AM EDT
[#2]
use a pawn shop and tell them you traded for it. i have never been questioned, whether the gun has been in stock or not.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:56:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I have a question concerning gun store etiquette.  Is it disrespectfull to have a gun transfered in to a dealer when you know he has one sitting in the case?  There is a pretty big price difference.

See if he'll meet you in the middle.  By the time you pay shipping and transfer fees you might be there already.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Some guns, the difference in price is less than $50.  In that case, I will buy from the dealer.  However, there have been some guns that have had $700 differences in price, and the dealer wouldn't budge.   For example, there was an FN FS2000 on the shelf for $2099.  But you can order the same gun from CDNN at the time for $1399.  In that case, I would have no problem ordering it online.

90% of all my guns have been bought through local dealers, and I don't mind paying a little more since they have to pay employees, electric, rent, etc.  

A friend of mine found an FFL in VA. Beach that is an aquarium store.  They don't stock any guns, but they do order guns, and do transfers.  He uses them all the time since they never stock anything and do transfers for $15.   It is very funny to watch people in line at the register see the cleark pull out a shotgun for him to fill out paperwork on, when they came there to buy fish food!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the dealer. Go to FastFirearms for your transfers. They will ask what you're buying, try to match or beat the price and If they can't, they'll do the transfer for $10 without questions.

Go somewhere else and you'll likely have problems.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a pretty big price difference.

We're all friends here. Gun and price. Then I'll tell you.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer to have the opportunity to meet or beat the price on anything that's transferred through the shop but it's not a requirement.

I do get a sense of satisfaction when someone transfers a gun to the shop and pay more than I charge after you factor in shipping, transfer fees etc although I NEVER point it out to the customer.

I sell many guns over the net so I know how the game is played.

I buy a lot of stuff off the net but I prefer local and I will gladly pay 10% more in most cases to support local business not to mention the convenience factor if I happen to have problems with an item.

TD
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't really buy much guns or gear due to being a college student but when I do I try to keep it local. Mostly because I don't want to deal with faxing FFL information and making sure everyone knows where it's going and who it's going to. I also don't mind paying a bit extra and walking out with whatever I wanted, like PMAGs for example. I think the cheapest I've seen them is $14 online, while they go about $20 at the shops. If I'm just buying one or two, I'd rather just buy them from a shop. Now if I'm buying in bulk, that's an entirely different beast.

Edit: I did buy my lower off Spikes Tactical's site, but had I'd known Bullseye had the Noveske lowers with the AAC logos on them, I would of gladly bought one of those instead.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Give them a chance to beat the price. It might pay off im the future through discounts if you buy a lot from them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I prefer to have the opportunity to meet or beat the price on anything that's transferred through the shop but it's not a requirement.

I do get a sense of satisfaction when someone transfers a gun to the shop and pay more than I charge after you factor in shipping, transfer fees etc although I NEVER point it out to the customer.

I sell many guns over the net so I know how the game is played.

I buy a lot of stuff off the net but I prefer local and I will gladly pay 10% more in most cases to support local business not to mention the convenience factor if I happen to have problems with an item.

TD

I feel the same.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, the gun is a Draco and the price difference is $90.  My dealer usually has great prices on everything, but $419 to $329 is a pretty wide gap.  I know that the online price doesn't include shipping and transfer, but the online price including all that comes to $365.  Still a pretty wide difference.  Especially when you consider that with tax, the dealer price grows to just under $450.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, the gun is a Draco and the price difference is $90.  My dealer usually has great prices on everything, but $419 to $329 is a pretty wide gap.  I know that the online price doesn't include shipping and transfer, but the online price including all that comes to $365.  Still a pretty wide difference.  Especially when you consider that with tax, the dealer price grows to just under $450.

I would offer $385-$390 out the door and see what happens.  If he won't go for it, then order it in.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Make him an offer...

Last week a customer was looking at smokin on-line deal on Taurus 24/7's and he asked me if I could meet or beat it.

I told him I could not since they weren't in stock but i would be happy to do the transfer.

I made a cool $20.00 on transfer and we are both satisfied.

TD
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Give them a chance to beat the price. It might pay off im the future through discounts if you buy a lot from them.

I'll always offer the dealer the online+shipping+transfer price. Most of the time I find it cheaper that Cherokee than I find online anyways. The only thing I've had to transfer recently was a Sparrow that only one dealer around here had in stock to my local dealer. If any of you guys want good people to deal with on C3 stuff, I highly recommend SimperFi and 400J&L.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I usually try to purchase from a store but on my last purchase, well it was a present so I didn't actually pay, I saved over $100 on a Sig 522 including shipping. Come to think of it that may be the first gun I have actually ordered.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#16]
One of our local dealer's transfer rates go like this.  If it's something that they can order then they will do a transfer for 15% of the cost.  Otherwise it's $35.  I don't do much business with them
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to give them the opportunity to price it. Last time I did the response was "I don't even know what that is." OK, it's a $700 handgun and I'm ordering it online.

I do ask if they have a used one in stock. I've never encountered a shot out high end handgun that wasn't obvious.

If I'm ordering stuff from CDNN they aren't going to beat it. I'm not going to create a situation where I know they can't beat it and ask. I do my best to show up on time with cash to complete the transaction quickly and by having my papers in order.

I've actually found good deals on used guns like an unfired M&P45 with night sights for $400 and a dirty but otherwise new 642 for $300 when I was going to order new online. It never hurts to ask.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't buy clothes, movies, or computers locally unless I trip over a deal. To me, picking out what I want online and having it show up at the dealer of my choice is convenient.

For a variety of reasons, gun stores haven't gone through the economic consolidation and integration that almost every other retail segment has. This makes them overpriced and inefficient by design. There ought to be 5-10 big regional gun stores in Atlanta. They would be profitable and competitive. Because they would each have significant sales, they would have leverage with manufacturers and the distributors would go away. Currently the distributors and manufacturers set the price and there's probably 50-100 or more FFL holders around Atlanta. Most of them are simply lifestyle businesses no different than a Golf Pro or a fishing guide who works to survive and buy toys.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:28:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Dealers get a discount from CDNN so if you find a friendly FFL you may save a few buck by actually going through them to order. I know one in the mountains who only charges 5% over cost, very nice guy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll do private transfers and firearms/receivers that are not available locally, and also CDNN stuff, but if someone comes to me and is whining over a local dealer charging 50.00 more then he can get it shipped to me for I pass. I already know the self serving asshat has been in the local store getting all the info on the item, handeling it if it's a stock item, then cheaping out, don't need the money so bad as to screw the brick and mortar guys trying to feed their and their employees families.
On the other hand, if it's someone I know, and I know that they don't try to pull one over, I'll do it, but it's not beyond me to mention it to someone at the local shop that they screwed the pooch on a sale and find out why. If this was my primary income, I might look at it differently, but the whole starving gunshop owner thing has never appealed to me, I admire the fellows that are able to pull it off and make it work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I myself wouldn't buy a gun online that's sitting right there in the case when I go pick up the transfer. That's just me and I don't judge anyone who does as it's between you and your FFL. You mentioned a pretty big price difference which certainly is a factor to take into account.   I'll pay a little more to bring my new toy home today, not much patience I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll do private transfers and firearms/receivers that are not available locally, and also CDNN stuff, but if someone comes to me and is whining over a local dealer charging 50.00 more then he can get it shipped to me for I pass. I already know the self serving asshat has been in the local store getting all the info on the item, handeling it if it's a stock item, then cheaping out, don't need the money so bad as to screw the brick and mortar guys trying to feed their and their employees families.
On the other hand, if it's someone I know, and I know that they don't try to pull one over, I'll do it, but it's not beyond me to mention it to someone at the local shop that they screwed the pooch on a sale and find out why. If this was my primary income, I might look at it differently, but the whole starving gunshop owner thing has never appealed to me, I admire the fellows that are able to pull it off and make it work.

There was a store years ago not far from me called Dixie Firearms (not to be confused with Dixie Ammo Dump).  

The guy who owned Dixie Firearms kept a good inventory of AR-15s, AKs, FALs, quality ammo (including the better surplus), SA pistols, etc.  They also sold ammo.  Local guys would go in the store, suck up the employees' time while sucking them dry for information, would finger-bang all the cool guns and then leave with the promise of returning.  Those "customers" would then go buy their ammo at Walmart and Galyan's (now Dick's) because those other shops were fractions of a dollar cheaper.  They'd order the rifles they wanted on-line somewhere and have a pawn shop do the transfer for a few dollars.

Care to guess what happened to Dixie Firearms?  

Oh yeah, and Galyan's sold to Dick's; Dick's got rid of all "non-sporting" firearms and cut their ammo supply down to very little.  

Just a story I thought I'd share.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Peach State Guns in Covington has Dracos for $350.  They have a storefront, though it's not a typical retail store.  They do a lot more online sales and custom work than walk-in sales.  Still, look them up and give them a call.  They do a lot of SBR builds, too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Peach State Guns in Covington has Dracos for $350.  They have a storefront, though it's not a typical retail store.  They do a lot more online sales and custom work than walk-in sales.  Still, look them up and give them a call.  They do a lot of SBR builds, too.

I have been eyeing them as well.  May have to get in touch with them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a store years ago not far from me called Dixie Firearms (not to be confused with Dixie Ammo Dump).  

The guy who owned Dixie Firearms kept a good inventory of AR-15s, AKs, FALs, quality ammo (including the better surplus), SA pistols, etc.  They also sold ammo.  Local guys would go in the store, suck up the employees' time while sucking them dry for information, would finger-bang all the cool guns and then leave with the promise of returning.  Those "customers" would then go buy their ammo at Walmart and Galyan's (now Dick's) because those other shops were fractions of a dollar cheaper.  They'd order the rifles they wanted on-line somewhere and have a pawn shop do the transfer for a few dollars.

Oh yeah, and Galyan's sold to Dick's; Dick's got rid of all "non-sporting" firearms and cut their ammo supply down to very little.  

I did just the opposite. went to galyans, etc, to handle and learn as i could then bought at local store, the old hotshots. had a real good realtionship, they did alot for me, after NINE handgun purchases.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, all of the guys that try to nickel and dime the locals will be hollaring the loudest when they dissapear. Right now they just espouse how they "should" be conducting their business or whining about the twenty one year old who just upped his position in life from saying "you want fries with that' to 'you wanna box of bullets with that?' for not knowing even that basics.
I know I'll never have the patience required to have a retail business, that's why I won't be their competition in retail sales.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top