Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/19/2005 3:43:08 PM EST
So I live in "free" Oregon and have many fun toys.

Unfortunately, one of my best buds lives in San Jose.

Well, for fun, I've thought about throwing all my fun stuff in the car and heading down to California for him to play with these things.

So, most of what I've been reading is written from a California resident's point of view.

So I have various ARs, AKs, shotguns, etc.
Is a permit required to travel from Oregon, to San Jose, then back again?
I see lots of mentions to transportation. Nothing says "use". All this is moot if I can transport, but not use.

Any help in finding the info would be great.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:42:59 PM EST
California Dangerous Weapon Control Laws - Assault Weapons

(m) Subdivisions (a), and (b), and (c) shall not apply to the possession and importation of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle.
(2) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:
(A) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(B) A target range of a public or private club or organization that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(4) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is transported in accordance with Section 12026.1 or 12026.2.
(5) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

It looks like you would have to be going to a match. :(

There may be something further down that allows it, but I don't think so. My advice would be to have your buddy come to you,
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:23:11 PM EST
Print out the schedule from this club. They hold their matches at the Metcalf range in San Jose. The High Power matches are designated by NMC. In the unlikely chance the reason for your having an AR came into question you could say you were traveling to CA for the match and show the schedule.

Don't know what reason you could give for having the AK.

Shotguns and bolt guns are all ok.

All the ranges around SJ allow AWs so not much chance anyone would hassle you at the range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:23:35 PM EST
i think 2a and 2b would qualify... since yoiu are not a resident of california.. i dont see why there would be any problem..
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:25:51 PM EST
I'm thinking he just needs to get his ass up here instead. Better weather anyway!

Thanks guys.
Top Top