Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/9/2015 11:27:55 PM EDT
Anyone ever heard of one taking bait? My brother lives in Illinois, was fishing for flatheads the other night. Bluegill for bait, and caught this instead of a catfish. He said it was hooked in the mouth and he assumed it just happened to swim past his bait while feeding. He estimated weight at 75 pounds, took a couple pics and released it.
" />
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
While they are a plankton / filter feeder its not uncommon for them to get caught on a anglers bait or lure as they swim with their mouths wide open filtering the water
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Figured it was something like that, just never actually heard of it happening-also have never fished in water that had them. Now he's talking about getting a repro mount made. At $12-$15/inch that's gonna be expensive.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I know they sometimes get caught by accident my grandpa caught a 40lbs on a bank pole and that fish looks no where close to 75 lbs they are very good eating I doubt I would have thrown that back
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If its before April 1 (maybe 15th) you can keep them, otherwise they have to be released immediately
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If its before April 1 (maybe 15th) you can keep them, otherwise they have to be released immediately
View Quote

On the Miss ya not inland

ETA thats for Iowa dont know about Illinois
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know they sometimes get caught by accident my grandpa caught a 40lbs on a bank pole and that fish looks no where close to 75 lbs they are very good eating I doubt I would have thrown that back
View Quote

Maybe it's not, I've never seen one, just going by what he told me. What's your best guess on weight? He's about 5'6"(my brother, not the fish) for reference.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe it's not, I've never seen one, just going by what he told me. What's your best guess on weight? He's about 5'6"(my brother, not the fish) for reference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

30's would be my guess but really its hard to tell from a pic. Was this on the Miss?  They are a very cool fish no bones just cartilage.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

30's would be my guess but really its hard to tell from a pic. Was this on the Miss?  They are a very cool fish no bones just cartilage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure exactly where he caught it, he lives in Quincy so I assume so. As for the weight, it may well be under 75, but I'm doubtful on it being as small as the 30s. He's caught several flatheads in the 25-40 pound range the last couple years, I'd THINK he'd know what 30 felt like.

Then again, the snout makes it longer, could have thrown his perception off.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Those are cool fish

When I lived in Davenport I was fishing on the steps behind the old dock restaurant by the rollers (catching some nice walleyes and bass) and snagged one that weighed close to #20's

Reeled it in and the Asians that were snagging nearby were trying to buy it off me and got really pissed when I let it go after taking some pics

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top