Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 4:55:14 PM EDT
Muzzle nut or slant brake? which do you prefer and why? My yugo M70 build had a muzzle nut,which I tacked on the bottom, and most recent Romy build had a slant, also tacked on the bottom. I kinda like the muzzlenut look better, just wanted to hear your take on it. and don't you just dread the castration part of the build?(grinding off the bayo lug and welding the muzzle nut.) I just  hesitate everytime!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]
slap a dragunov style skeleton stock, and leave the barrel threaded, this is what im doing to a rifle im having come in.....

if it was muzzle nut or slant break, id go slant break...it helps reduce muzzle rise and it looks sharp (it will grow on you)....

muzzle nuts are ok too, I like them because it makes your AK look more beefy I think.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I vote slant brake.

A draganov or any thumbhole stock is considered to be a pistol grip by the ATF and is ILLEGAL in that configuration.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I vote slant brake.

A draganov or any thumbhole stock is considered to be a pistol grip by the ATF and is ILLEGAL in that configuration.  

then explain how the whole MAK90 thing works. a thumbhole stock is not a pistol grip. if it were considered a pistol grip, then changing over my MAK90 to pistol grip wouldn't require the US parts...which it does!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Pistol grips have nothing to do with the 922r parts requirement.  Converting a Mak90 to a pistol grip configuration requires US parts because a thumbhole stock is only considered 1 part and pistol grip and buttstock are two parts. The conversion changes the parts count. Absolutely nothing to do with the AWB. The ATF ruled during the federal ban that thumbhole stocks are pistol grips. If they weren't, most postban guns would have threaded barrels/flash hiders and thumbhole stocks as a way to get around the ban.  If it could be done, it would have been done. If you don't believe me, call up the ATF and ask them for yourself. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Pistol grips have nothing to do with the 922r parts requirement.  Converting a Mak90 to a pistol grip configuration requires US parts because a thumbhole stock is only considered 1 part and pistol grip and buttstock are two parts. The conversion changes the parts count. Absolutely nothing to do with the AWB. The ATF ruled during the federal ban that thumbhole stocks are pistol grips. If they weren't, most postban guns would have threaded barrels/flash hiders and thumbhole stocks as a way to get around the ban.  If it could be done, it would have been done. If you don't believe me, call up the ATF and ask them for yourself.

I called up the NYS Pistol Permit Bureau , and several dealers.... having a thumbhole stock AK with a threaded muzzle is PERFECTLY LEGAL
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I called up the NYS Pistol Permit Bureau , and several dealers.... having a thumbhole stock AK with a threaded muzzle is PERFECTLY LEGAL

You are wrong and obviously you asked the wrong people. Ask the ATF or ask this question in general discussion or legal forums.  It is not legal. Don't you think if it were legal, we would see a lot more guns with thumbhole stocks and threaded barrels? Do you think you are the first one to think of this possible loop hole after 10+ years of the ban? Think you can use "I called up the NYS Pistol Permit Bureau , and several dealers" as a legal defense? You "slap on a a draganov stock" with a threaded barrel and the cops can slap cuffs on you because it is a violation of the NYS AWB.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are wrong and obviously you asked the wrong people. Ask the ATF or ask this question in general discussion or legal forums.  It is not legal. Don't you think if it were legal, we would see a lot more guns with thumbhole stocks and threaded barrels? Do you think you are the first one to think of this possible loop hole after 10+ years of the ban? Think you can use "I called up the NYS Pistol Permit Bureau , and several dealers" as a legal defense? You "slap on a a draganov stock" with a threaded barrel and the cops can slap cuffs on you because it is a violation of the NYS AWB.  

ATF isnt the final say on NYS law, the NYS State Trooper Pistol Permit Bureau is, along with the NYS Attourney General.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, we can only go by what has already been ruled. The New York state police and the attorney general hasn't made an official ruling on this issue (talking to a secretary on the phone doesn't  qualify as a ruling) but the ATF has. The law says "a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" and a draganov stock meets that definition.  If you really think that the New York State Police and the anti-gun Eliot Spitzer is going to over-rule the ATF so you can have a threaded barrel / flash hider on your "evil" AK-47, you deserve to get busted for being incredibly stupid. Have fun in club FED.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the slant brake but the muzzle nut, from what I recall, Is Not a muzzle device.  Saves you from installing another US part.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yeah, we can only go by what has already been ruled. The New York state police and the attorney general hasn't made an official ruling on this issue (talking to a secretary on the phone doesn't  qualify as a ruling) but the ATF has. The law says "a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" and a draganov stock meets that definition.  If you really think that the New York State Police and the anti-gun Eliot Spitzer is going to over-rule the ATF so you can have a threaded barrel / flash hider on your "evil" AK-47, you deserve to get busted for being incredibly stupid. Have fun in club FED.

thumbhole stocks are not considered pistol grips....

call up: Sgt James Sherman , he is the source over at the NYS Pistol Permit Bureau: 1-518-457-2627

Tell me what he says to you....     he tells me a thumbhole stock DOES NOT QUALIFY as a pistol grip
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top