Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/6/2006 2:52:38 PM EDT
I've just heard of a substance called Salvia Divinorum. Apparently it's some kind of smoking herb. It's suppose to be legal and gets you high. I thought only tobacco was legal to smoke and anything other than alcohol which gets you high is illegal. What can you tell me about this as far as legality and health concerns go?

thanks.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:10:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Joaquin:
I've just heard of a substance called Salvia Divinorum. Apparently it's some kind of smoking herb. It's suppose to be legal and gets you high. I thought only tobacco was legal to smoke and anything other than alcohol which gets you high is illegal. What can you tell me about this as far as legality and health concerns go?

The mere fact that something gives you a buzz doesn't make it illegal to possess or use. For something to be illegal to possess, it needs to be specifically mentioned in the penal code. There are probably different issues regarding selling a substance that could be classified as a drug.

From a health perspective, smoking anything is bad for you.

A quick review of medical journals mentioning it indicates that nobody has seriously studied the health effects of either short or long term use of the plant. Why take the risk?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:53:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Joaquin:

If doing something is not made illegal then it is legal.

If it was the way you think it is then the law would say something like "it is illegal to smoke, except for tobacco."

I'm not exactly sure how our current drug laws are worded, but I seriously fucking doubt the actual act of smoking in and of itself is illegal.

And the laws are probably worded something more along the lines of "possession and use of XYZ is a felony/misdemenor/whatever."

So it would be the actual substance that is prohibited.

That being said I think the whole drug was is a huge waste. Prohibition never works and neither do nanny states.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:10:50 PM EDT
I'm not an LEO, but here's some info on salvia divinorum:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/salvia/salvia.shtml
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:33:05 PM EDT
Dude...Just say NO
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:19:09 PM EDT
I think there is something in the penal code about possession of simulated narcotics. Whether this would fall under that or not I don't know.

But if it looks and smells like pot I might not risk carrying it on me and as some officer who is not familiar with it will go on sight and smell and hook you up......

As far as the act of using narcotics wouldn't that be under a law case from the sixties that basically said it's not illegal to be an addict or use them, only being in possession of narcotics was illegal??? I'm thinking I remember something from school about a hippie that got arrested for saying he used heroin in public and had track marks and some officers decided to arrest him. On God only knows what charge considering it was the sixties. I could imaging things though, but I swear I remember hearing that at some point in time during school....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 9:22:27 PM EDT by Johninaustin]
A lot of high school kids use it. As far as I can tell, it just makes them puke. Why bother? You can smoke lawn clippings for free and get the same results.

As for the health effects, I'm not a doc but I'm pretty sure drawing smoke into your lungs (esp unfiltered smoke) would not be good regardless of the specific substance.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:24:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Johninaustin:
A lot of high school kids use it. As far as I can tell, it just makes them puke. Why bother? You can smoke lawn clippings for free and get the same results.

ROFL, actually that just reminded me of some guy I knew in middle school who did just that. He pulled some grass off the ground, rolled it up in a torn off piece of notebook paper and smoked it.
Top Top