Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/24/2003 9:05:04 AM EDT
You guys with your goofy laws learn some goofy skills.

This year I think I want to try my hand at coyote hunting. I was reading the hunting regulations for New York State and it basically says that I need to hunt with a gun that cannot hold more than 5 rounds in the magazine+1 in the chamber. This is oversimplified, but for our purposes, that's it.

So what is the best way to block off an AR magazine to only accept 5 rounds? I don't think it needs to be a permanent blocking. I was thinking of taking off the floorplate of a 20-rounder I have and inserting a wooden dowel or something of the appropriate length that the mag will only hold 5 rounds. What do ya say?

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:36:28 AM EDT
I say you answered your own question. I do have some factory fifteen (15) round M1A mags. Springfield Armory must love NJ.

Good hunting,

Mike
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:49:15 AM EDT
Cheaper Than Dirt has a "5-Round 223 Blue John Masen Competition Mag" for $14.95. Expensive, but definitely fits your specs.

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1241&sku=MAG%2D052
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:00:46 PM EDT
Colt blue label Sporters came with factory Colt twenty round mags that were blocked to five rounds. They use a U shaped metal insert and a floor plate that was pop riveted in place. They are available but they usually command a premium price. I can post a pic of what the insert looks like if you want. A temporarily blocked mag is legal to hunt with in NYS.

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:12:15 PM EDT
Honestly, they don't cost that much to go through all the hassle of rigging one up. Just buy a Bushmaster 5 round mag or one those linked above and you'll be set!
Top Top