Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 1:54:12 PM EDT
A friend of a friend bought a FAL kit (STG-58 and Imbel reciever) and isn't quite sure how to put it together.  He needs it "headspaced and timed."  I have zero experience with FAL's, but I know my way around AR's pretty well and can usually figure out other guns with a little guidance.

Before I volunteer to help this guy out (a.k.a. build it for him), what am I getting myself into?  What type of special tools will I need that I'm not likely to have laying around the bench already?  

Thanks,
SmallChange
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
these guys will probably know for sure:

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=7
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Randy Kline  in Ft.Worth is the best FAL builder around here. [email protected]  He headspaced all of mine. RH
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are you located? If your near San Antonio I have everything needed to assemble a FAL.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Randy Kline is an FFL builder up here in Fort Worth. He can barrel and headspace for you or build the whole thing ,repark it anything you need. His prices are good too. He does work for people all over the place.  write him [email protected]
Reed
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the Tyler/Longview area.  I was hoping to do the build myself vs. sending it to a smith.  

More accurately, the owner of the rifle was hoping to get me to do it for free/fun instead of paying a smith a bunch of money to do it.  I just need to know if it's beyond my skill level or not.  Of course you don't know what my skill level is, but if someone can explain the process and tools needed, and can probably decide whether or not I can do it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#6]
did you ask in the FAL discussion area?  They'll be able to tell you what tooling is needed.

but tagged, because I am also interested in buying up a FAL kit for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I've posed the question in the FAL area.  I was secretly hoping someone who lived on my street would chime in and say "I've built 5 of them, and have all the tools.  Grab a six pack and bring it over."
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The thing that will screw up the build is if your locking shoulder will not head space with the new receiver, then you will have to find out what size you need and order one. All four of my FALs could not use the one that came in the kit. You will need a very good barrel vice and the receiver wrench also the headspace gauges. Putting the receiver on the barrel takes alot more force than an AR barrel. If the barrel will hand tighten to about 11:00 o clock your in good shape if it does not go that far then you have shave a little off the barrel so it will. They are a lot more work than building an AR.  The reason I let Randy do it is he has tons of locking shoulders and will just trade them out with you. Go over to the FALfiles.com forum   RH

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've posed the question in the FAL area.  I was secretly hoping someone who lived on my street would chime in and say "I've built 5 of them, and have all the tools.  Grab a six pack and bring it over."

I know how you feel.  If a local H-town arfcomer builds a lot of AKs, I would of bought 5 or more kits by now, but sometimes this stuff is hard to find, and they have to usually be built by professionals, otherwise you'll have a unreliable piece of junk to swing at someone, and that's it.  I've been on the AK forum for the past few months and have heard so many stories about horrible builds from some what professional builders.  AKs and FALs are just in another class of building than the ARs.  Kinda sucks, I'd really like a FAL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top