Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 10:15:06 AM EDT
Okay, I have a guy from Alabama that wants to buy my AR. Can he come and give me the money and pick the rifle up at my house or because we dont live in the same state does a transfer actualy have to go through a FFL? I need help this guy wants to come next saturday and make the purchase from me.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:58:56 PM EDT
No you cannot transfer to him unless he is a FFL for that type of firearm. I'm assuming you are not related. To do so would be an interstate transfer without a license. If you are a FFL and he isn't an FFL I think there are other rules that apply, but then you wouldn't be asking!

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:35:27 PM EDT
Wait, so when does the long guns FTF for neighboring states factor in? Or am I making that up?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:41:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By the_reject:
Wait, so when does the long guns FTF for neighboring states factor in? Or am I making that up?

That is what I was thinking. We had a thread here about 6 months ago that went over this. I think we had an answer. Someone with access to the archive searcher could find it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 5:30:50 PM EDT by GAcop]
All out of state transfers have to go through a FFL.

Please note the period at the end.

OK ,here it is one more time. There might be a test later.

178.30 Out-of-state disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver
any firearm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows or has
reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a
corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of
business in) the State in which the transferor resides: Provided, that
the provisions of this section:

(a) shall not apply to the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a
firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or any acquisition by
intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire
or possess a firearm under the laws of the state of his residence; and

(b) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person
for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

Basically one can't transfer a firearm to a nonlicensee of another state unless
it's handed down through a will. But only then if the person can legally own the firearm.

I hope this helps. Sometimes it pays to work for a FFL.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:47:25 PM EDT
Little research on my part saves a world of hurt:

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any state. A firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:30:55 AM EDT
So basicaly the short version is I CANNOT sell this guy my AR unless it goes through an FFL?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:45:19 AM EDT
Correct, allthough you can go to Texas, and buy up all the AR "Rifles" that you want!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:38:37 PM EDT
Just meet at a gun shop and do the transfer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:27:30 PM EDT

That would mean I would need to drive to Alabama because you cant transfer for someone out of state to my understanding.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:20:03 PM EDT
I think he met have the gunshop, as a FFL, do the transfer. They should charge $25 or less, just make sure to call ahead to make sure the FFL isn't some dickhead charging $50 + 10% of the Blue Book value.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:51:44 AM EDT
Well, looks like I'm taking a trip to Monty, Alabama. The guy is really nice and I'm getting good for my AR. Sad thing is I just put an Eotech 512 on it and man, it is so CHOICE. Great optic system. I'm keeping that bad boy.
Top Top