Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2013 3:35:40 PM EDT
Guy I hunt sharptail grouse with swears you can hunt any un-posted land in ND as long as you stay out of the grain crops.  I called BS as I have never been to a place where you didn't have to have permission from the land owner before hunting their property.  Upon reading the DNR regulations it appears he is correct.  Is it true you can hunt private land w/o land owner permission in ND as long as it isn't posted?

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes you legally can hunt land that is private and not posted, even though its probly a good idea to ask, you are not required to by law...
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#2]
the problem is that the land might be posted but the sign is laying on the ground or someone stole it. the landowner wont care and will scream at you, even though their sign is hard to find. just make sure you walk the property line to be sure. I always ask first.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#3]
by the way, the most sharp tails I have seen are in plots land northwest of grand forks. no need to ask on plots.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the problem is that the land might be posted but the sign is laying on the ground or someone stole it. the landowner wont care and will scream at you, even though their sign is hard to find. just make sure you walk the property line to be sure. I always ask first.
View Quote

It doesnt matter, there are very strict laws on how land is to be posted. They have to be plainly visible, so many feet apart, and signed. I have have an uncle who, right or wrong, uses this to his advantage. Several times he has been confronted by a landowner who threatens to call the game warden and he says "go ahead". He has never been arrested for trespassing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It doesnt matter, there are very strict laws on how land is to be posted. They have to be plainly visible, so many feet apart, and signed. I have have an uncle who, right or wrong, uses this to his advantage. Several times he has been confronted by a landowner who threatens to call the game warden and he says "go ahead". He has never been arrested for trespassing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

your Uncle is an asshole and gives hunters a bad name.

Link Posted: 8/19/2013 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Never hunt with him. He is the reason those of us who ask get told no.

I was told to fuck off during Turkey season because he was "pissed at you fucking hunters doing what you want with my land"
At the same time someone pulled over, got out, shot a turkey in his field and drove off with it.

I told him I was sorry he had assholes to deal with and I understood.

People who hate hunters become anti gun and anti hunting.

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I threatened to quit hunting with him if he ever pulled that shit with me again and he never did. There just seems to be something about pheasants that makes people lose there minds. I grew up in the country and respect others property. Im responsible for keeping trespassers off my FILs land myself and made him understand that his gates have to be posted to have any legal recourse.

So dont jump my shit too bad, im just relaying a story.

That being said, if land isnt posted and there isnt crops in the field, Ill have no problem walking a draw for a bird or two.

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I threatened to quit hunting with him if he ever pulled that shit with me again and he never did. There just seems to be something about pheasants that makes people lose there minds. I grew up in the country and respect others property. Im responsible for keeping trespassers off my FILs land myself and made him understand that his gates have to be posted to have any legal recourse.

So dont jump my shit too bad, im just relaying a story.

That being said, if land isnt posted and there isnt crops in the field, Ill have no problem walking a draw for a bird or two.

View Quote

That land is owned by someone and it isn't you. Not being posted isn't a welcome matt, for all you know they don't normally care, but this weekend they have the grand kids coming up to walk that field and have their first bird hunt.

The first part of hunting is recon. You don't just find some land and shoot shit.

Scope out your options, too to the locals, ask permission. They know the land, the animals, and where they are going.

My last turkey season was a failure, but the neighbors grand kid snagged the Tom I had been chasing because I knew where he was roosting and what their habits were. My weekend was over but I helped a kid and his dad make a great memory because the neighbor told them to come ask us.

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
It is shit like that - that is behind efforts in Bismarck to enact posted legislation. I.e. all land will be considered posted with no signage required....

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell I didn't know it was so hard to put a piece of paper next to a gate. Took me all of 10 minutes to post 300 acres. Then again I dont want people hunting it so I actually did something about it. Jeez Louise.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Any agricultural land is off limits including CRP (most non crop fields are enrolled in this), so pretty much any field, it doesn't have to be posted. Even if land is not posted, or the sign isn't signed its a good idea to get permission. Chances are the guy who is hunting land because someone forgot to put their signature on their no hunting sign will find it properly posted correctly the next time they show up. I have rarely been denied permission if I go out of the way to ask, the exception is when the land owner plans on hunting the land themselves then they do not want you out there. Also after goose season I will have some goose sticks made and return to the landowner and give him some, a few times they will tell me they wont give other people permission because they are saving it for me
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]
My land is posted and every year I still find tree stands with a pile of beer cans, trash and used toilet paper in the shelter belt.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Whats the best way to find out who owns the land to ask permission?  I've looked at a couple signs that are posted but have no information on them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Whats the best way to find out who owns the land to ask permission?  I've looked at a couple signs that are posted but have no information on them.
View Quote

Talk to locals, knock on doors. If its not the nearest house, they will tell you who it is.

Link Posted: 11/30/2013 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My land is posted and every year I still find tree stands with a pile of beer cans, trash and used toilet paper in the shelter belt.
View Quote

Time to go collect the tree stands people abandon on your property.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:18:18 AM EDT
[#17]
you can hunt on any un-posted land, by law the posted sign has to be signed and dated by the owner of the land, it also has to be clearly legible.  its not uncommon to find posted signs that are old, faded, of torn to shit.... Legally if you see one of these faded signs that are not legible you can hunt on there land, and not be trouble with the law but you may have a pissed off land owner if caught.  Secondly if you see a posted sign on a piece of land that is not owned buy the signer, the posted sign would be considered invalid...I have seen instances where family members that don't own the land would put up posted signs under there name
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top