Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 10:35:02 PM EDT
I am about to go out for my AT and will not be back until the day before the Cav match. Anyone have any idea about the rifle portion. They still doing this?

Also does anyone know how much it costs to join Cav shooting club? I got yelled at for the last time by the man at black creek. I brought a friend to the range and the owner could not refrain from making frequent trips down to the 25 yard line where we were "forced" to fire at like 5 yards and tell us that one of our rounds was too close to the top of the plywood and that some probably went under but "he couldnt prove it". He then advised that we should get even closer to the target if we wanted to fire quickly (I was firing quickly and the friend of mine that was missing was firing really slowly but only gettin so close to the edge because he HAD NEVER SHOT BEFORE). I was then told how dangerous it was for the round to miss a 2foot tall piece of plywood in front of a 20foot tall burm. That we could remidy the situation by firing at less than 3 feet from a board with METAL supports which is an action deamed "unsafe" by almost every firearm, amunition, and target maker today. I felt completly insulted and am looking forward to talking with him and his insurance company about the problems with operating a shooting range which requires shooters to hit a 2foot back stop in order to be "safe". This would not be so bad if he was not so utterly rude about it and suggest doing unsafe acts in order to fix the problem.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only been there a couple of times, and they pissed me off almost every time.  Cavalier is hard to join, and quite expensive.

Templar knows the details.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel your pain about Black Creek. I had KC come down and give me shit one day as my Grand Father, a buddy of mine and I were rapid firing from about 10yds. He of course checked the targets and we had been whailing on them, no misses. :) I now feel that a range visit to Black Creek isn't complete unless KC or his son appear behind where ever I'm shooting at least once.
If you want to go pistol shooting on the weekends try Ft. Lee it uses frames and the guy that runs it acts as the Range officer as well. Plus it's Frame based not some static line with half the plywood missing. :)
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, FT Lee is doing walk ons again?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Cavalier has a line to get in, about 2 years right now.  Talk to Lonnie Shelton, he's the president of the club, and shoots IDPA with us.

You're looking at around $500.00 the first year, then $200.00 every year after that.  You're buying into the club, and the club is buying the land surrounding it so that it will be much harder to shut down in the future do to development that might occur.

I'm going to try to work out a decent scenario for the rifle side match, but please don't expect too much.  The Virginia Commonwealth Cup State IDPA Championship is the week end before, at Rivanna, and most of us are already signed up to shoot.  Honestly, I'll be concentrating on trying not to embarress myself at the Cup, so I'm not sure how elaborate we'll get with the side match.

I haven't been a member at Black Creek for about 6 years now.  Last time we went as guests (my regular club couldn't shoot on that Sunday because of a Church function up the street) K.C. made my wife cry.  I won't be back to his range any time soon.  I'll shoot Andy's IDPA match out there when I can, but I won't patronize the rest of the range.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've only been there a couple of times, and they pissed me off almost every time.  Cavalier is hard to join, and quite expensive.

Templar knows the details.

I just realized that my post sounded a little crappy in reference to Cavalier.  Didn't mean it that way.  There is no way I'll join BC, and if I had some money, Cavalier is the one I'd join.  I've only been there twice, but it seems like a really great place.  Every one I've met there has been very kind.  Maybe one day...
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
About the only thing Black Creek has going for it is its cheap.  KC and his bench rest 22 friends have a rare talent for pissing off people.  Got tired of hearing "Slow it down, Rambo." from above.  Andy, the  BC IDPA director, is one of the most easy going and likeable people I've ever met.  Some of the bench rest cronies were complaining that he was gruff one Friday during set up.  Black Creek gets real old, real fast.

Cavalier is pricey, but it seems to have the best chance of lasting of any range in the area.  Isaac Walton is nice, but it seems mainly geared towards shotgunners.

Cavalier is nice because there is no one looking over your shoulder.  There's no paying $3.00 per guest or whatever it is.  Also its the only place in the area that allows unrestricted full auto fire besides private land.

If you don't mind the drive to Charlottesville, Rivanna is also very nice.  They are only $70.00 per year and have very nice facilities such as a clubhouse with indoor range.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am about to go out for my AT and will not be back until the day before the Cav match. Anyone have any idea about the rifle portion. They still doing this?

Also does anyone know how much it costs to join Cav shooting club? I got yelled at for the last time by the man at black creek. I brought a friend to the range and the owner could not refrain from making frequent trips down to the 25 yard line where we were "forced" to fire at like 5 yards and tell us that one of our rounds was too close to the top of the plywood and that some probably went under but "he couldnt prove it". He then advised that we should get even closer to the target if we wanted to fire quickly (I was firing quickly and the friend of mine that was missing was firing really slowly but only gettin so close to the edge because he HAD NEVER SHOT BEFORE). I was then told how dangerous it was for the round to miss a 2foot tall piece of plywood in front of a 20foot tall burm. That we could remidy the situation by firing at less than 3 feet from a board with METAL supports which is an action deamed "unsafe" by almost every firearm, amunition, and target maker today. I felt completly insulted and am looking forward to talking with him and his insurance company about the problems with operating a shooting range which requires shooters to hit a 2foot back stop in order to be "safe". This would not be so bad if he was not so utterly rude about it and suggest doing unsafe acts in order to fix the problem.

Yup, get his insurance pulled, that will teach all those other people who shoot there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top