Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/30/2009 9:04:25 PM EST
I have a relative in Santa Cruz who wants to send me some guns that were my grandfather's. I live in MN and am familiar with shipping guns via FFL. Could one of you Californian guys clue me in as to how i would go about doing this? I believe the guns are a Sako long rifle and a wheelgun of sorts. How would i arrange this? Is there anything special that the Californian side would have to do? Or just bring them to an FFL and ship? (they couldnt just send them UPS no?)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:45:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By Russkie:
I have a relative in Santa Cruz who wants to send me some guns that were my grandfather's. I live in MN and am familiar with shipping guns via FFL. Could one of you Californian guys clue me in as to how i would go about doing this? I believe the guns are a Sako long rifle and a wheelgun of sorts. How would i arrange this? Is there anything special that the Californian side would have to do? Or just bring them to an FFL and ship? (they couldnt just send them UPS no?)

Thanks!

As far as I know they must be sent to a local FFL. make sure both FFLs talk to each other so there are no surprises.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:25:49 PM EST
as long as your MN FFL will accept from a non-licensee, your relative can ship them directy to your FFL via UPS. He does not need to use an FFL to ship the firearms to your FFL.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:05:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 10:06:02 PM EST by Russkie]
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:
as long as your MN FFL will accept from a non-licensee, your relative can ship them directy to your FFL via UPS. He does not need to use an FFL to ship the firearms to your FFL.

hmm... really.

That is a game changer, in a good way. I will talk to my FFL. Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!

Hang tough my brothers!

ETA: He could still ship them to my FFL without going through one? Even though he'd be shipping a wheelgun?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:15:48 PM EST

hmm... really.

That is a game changer, in a good way. I will talk to my FFL. Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!

Hang tough my brothers!

ETA: He could still ship them to my FFL without going through one? Even though he'd be shipping a wheelgun?

Yup, CA law is no different than federal law in that regard. You don't need to use an FFL to ship a firearm to an FFL . The only thing a handgun adds to the mix is that you can't use USPS to mail it. Non-licensees can mail long guns, but not handguns. So, you need to use a common carrier like UPS or Fedex.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:23:01 PM EST

hmm... really.

Hang tough my brothers!

Yup, CA law is no different than federal law in that regard. You don't need to use an FFL to ship a firearm to an FFL . The only thing a handgun adds to the mix is that you can't use USPS to mail it. Non-licensees can mail long guns, but not handguns. So, you need to use a common carrier like UPS or Fedex.

lol so my guy can ship both guns via UPS to my FFL no problem?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:27:51 PM EST
lol so my guy can ship both guns via UPS to my FFL no problem?

yup, just follow UPS's rules on it. THey'll require him to ship it through the local UPS depot. Can't ship through the UPS store, since they aren't really UPS.
Top Top