Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2005 12:29:28 PM EST
Is it possible to be within law if you purchase a rifle off the internet or otherwise, have it registered in your name, and then later sell it to someone within the state of indiana that is allowed to own firearms, and without going through an FFL? Maybe if perhaps it is a stranger whom you cannot contact later on?

Thank you,
Typhoon
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:35:52 PM EST

THERE IS NO GODDAMN REGISTRATION IN INDIANA - HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO ASK THIS QUESTION, AND IN HOW MANY DIFFERENT WAYS?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:38:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:

THERE IS NO GODDAMN REGISTRATION IN INDIANA - HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO ASK THIS QUESTION, AND IN HOW MANY DIFFERENT WAYS?

LOL.. i actually had 2 questions, but after typing this one i forgot... a much better one... sorry.

But, like will you get in trouble if the person might not be old enough? or maybe if they go out and kill someone?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:39:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By Typhoon2004:

LOL.. i actually had 2 questions, but after typing this one i forgot... a much better one... sorry.

But, like will you get in trouble if the person might not be old enough? or maybe if they go out and kill someone?

How old are you?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:42:24 PM EST

How old are you?

Excuse me? I do not see in how that is in relation to my question. From my question you should obviously be able to determine that I am old enough to purchase firearms legally in the united states, so thats a start...

But are you then responsible for providing a weapon to a minor? I am selling one of my rifles and am thinking about doing it without an FFL, and was thinking of my options........

thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:47:00 PM EST
Look at their drivers license to make sure they are 18. Take cash. Walk away. (dont be selling to some gang banger types or otherwise unsavory characters) Dont look at name or address. Thats it. I wouldnt sell to anyone under 18 unless I knew and trusted them. (precious few fall in that category) Its your property dispose of it as you see fit.

The reason he asked your age is that you keep asking the same damn thing. The only time you need an FFL is if you're recieving a gun from out of state. Period.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:51:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By ViperEH:
Look at their drivers license to make sure they are 18. Take cash. Walk away. (dont be selling to some gang banger types or otherwise unsavory characters) Dont look at name or address. Thats it. I wouldnt sell to anyone under 18 unless I knew and trusted them. (precious few fall in that category) Its your property dispose of it as you see fit.

The reason he asked your age is that you keep asking the same damn thing. The only time you need an FFL is if you're recieving a gun from out of state. Period.

Well im sorry, I just wanted to clear things up, I don't want to sell someone a gun then they go and show it to Barney Fife and tell them "so and so" sold it to them, then I end up getting arrested for something..

Yes i know it is similar questions, but I can tell you they do have a different purpose.

Thank you for your time, I won't waste any more space with similar questions unless I find it absolutely necessary.

I learned information in this thread that i hadnt in my previous.

Thank you again,
-Typhoon
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:55:14 PM EST
Don't sweat it so much. I guarantee you that I've sold close to 100 firearms in the last 20 years, and could probably only locate a handful of them today if I had to. Many of the buyers were unknown to me personally.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:58:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4Madness:
Don't sweat it so much. I guarantee you that I've sold close to 100 firearms in the last 20 years, and could probably only locate a handful of them today if I had to. Many of the buyers were unknown to me personally.

stories like the DC sniper case make me nervous as hell sometimes.... that guy sold some 250+ guns without transferring them, and one was a bushmaster XM15-E2S that was used in the murders of many innocent people.
That dealer is now being charged and sued with so much it isnt even funny.

Thanks for the info!
-Typhoon
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 1:00:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/10/2005 1:01:56 PM EST by ViperEH]
No problem, glad to help. Seriously. You dont need an FFL unless your RECIEVING a gun from out of state or if its brand new from a distributor etc. You can send it yourself to a verified FFL out of state for someone else to pick up. Other than that they have no hold on you, as long as your selling in state. Don't use the word registration, especially around QS as you've seen. It means nothing in this state. Theres no record of what you have anywhere. What barney says is irrelevant. (don't involve the police ever) i'm sure you know that. Good luck on your sale!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 1:06:19 PM EST

No problem, glad to help. Seriously. You dont need an FFL unless your RECIEVING a gun from out of state or if its brand new from a distributor etc. You can send it yourself to a verified FFL out of state for someone else to pick up. Other than that they have no hold on you, as long as your selling in state. Don't use the word registration, especially around QS as you've seen. It means nothing in this state. Theres no record of what you have anywhere. What barney says is irrelevant. (don't involve the police ever) i'm sure you know that. Good luck on your sale!

thanks!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 1:12:54 PM EST

Look at their drivers license to make sure they are 18. Take cash. Walk away.

I like to wipe my fingerprints from the gun before I hand it to the buyer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 2:11:41 PM EST
The commissioner is wise beyond his years. I should have thought of that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 3:44:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheCommissioner:

I'm only paranoid about one thing--I don't handle my handgun's personal protection ammo with bare hands. I load the mags with a rag in order to avoid fingerprints. That's the only time I wear a tinfoil hat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 3:50:52 PM EST

I'm only paranoid about one thing--I don't handle my handgun's personal protection ammo with bare hands. I load the mags with a rag in order to avoid fingerprints. That's the only time I wear a tinfoil hat.

Do you also use frangible rounds?? Lol.. Actually, that'd be cool, if they did enough damage to match the performance of a JHP. Any experiences?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 3:56:53 PM EST

Any experiences?

No, but the way the law works anymore, you shoot a bad guy and it all gets twisted around until YOU are the bad guy. If a "grey area" situation like that ever arises for me, I don't want to leave spent brass behind with my fingerprints on them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:02:45 PM EST

Any experiences?

No, but the way the law works anymore, you shoot a bad guy and it all gets twisted around until YOU are the bad guy. If a "grey area" situation like that ever arises for me, I don't want to leave spent brass behind with my fingerprints on them.

assuming there's no brass left and you use frangible ammo.... whats the chance it comes back to you? or even if you use ammo that fragments at the range you are at....

Interesting concept.... they cant retrieve all the pieces of a .223 out of someones chest, then determine where it came from. The brass would be long gone by the time the police got there.

Now, the same principle would work for pistols if you had ammunition that would mangle itself beyond recognition....

I should probably not go any further, its starting to sound illegal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:19:12 PM EST
The grooves of rifling that they could use to identify your gun are very small. They could pick them up on a fragment of a jacket. Also most .223 rifles are semi so take M4Madness's advice and load your carry mags with a cloth so that if brass has to be left behind it doesnt have your prints on it. also only carry ammo that you only have one box of that you bought with cash so that they cant trace it back to the same lot and you have no credit card record of purchasing it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:21:57 PM EST
I like where this discussion is going. Extra strength tinfoil all around!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:40:08 PM EST

Hey! On "CSI" they say you can't get fingerprints from spent brass because the heat destroys them. I would assume that means that the oil from you skin is vaporized when the round is fired.

Not being a "ciminalist" myself, I don't know whether that is actually true, or if it's yet another fun fabrication on the part of TV writers.

So what's the real deal?

(oh ... it's easier to load mags wearing vinyl or latex exam gloves than with a rag)
(or so I've hear)

Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:52:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By rhino_:

Hey! On "CSI" they say you can't get fingerprints from spent brass because the heat destroys them. I would assume that means that the oil from you skin is vaporized when the round is fired.

Not being a "ciminalist" myself, I don't know whether that is actually true, or if it's yet another fun fabrication on the part of TV writers.

So what's the real deal?

(oh ... it's easier to load mags wearing vinyl or latex exam gloves than with a rag)
(or so I've hear)

That's TV, this is real life. Are you willing to bet your freedom that the brass doesnt have prints? What if you chamber one and it jams, and you eject it without thinking and take off... what then?

Anyway, who gives a crap about rifling, thats why its so easy to change and buy new barrels for so many different guns. If the government was smart they'd put the serial # on the barrels and not the receivers, but then, thats my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:18:00 PM EST
Brasscatcher and a tuned ejector.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:06:07 AM EST
Im not betting my freedom on a TV show. and be careful using latex glove too. If they are the thin ones and there is any oil oor residue on the shell it can leave a print anyways.wear thick jersey gloves or something
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:24:08 AM EST
The finger print issue give me a break, to much CSI can leave you with unreal ideas of evidence gathering. It is very difficult to get finger prints period, most of the time it will be a partial and usually won't lead to anything. Remember the finger print is an oil, the slightest move will distort the finger print. For example if I slide my fingers down the barrel and off the end what kind of print do you think you will get. The CSI finger prints allways look like someone was using a finger print pad. Lastly if you do not bath often or are a person who naturally excretes lots of oil from your glands then the latent print will most likey just be a smuge, and that is reality.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:25:37 AM EST
One more thing I would be more worried about eye's in the sky or dead skin cells or hair then my finger prints.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:57:17 AM EST

Very sensitive. How kind of you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:03:34 AM EST
I'm not going to "rely" on a television show, but I would like to know wether or not fingerprints can withstand the heat and abrasion of the round being chambered, fired, and ejected. I thought someone might know.

Re: latex gloves ... I'd be more worried about leaving prints on the insides! Always take your gloves with your, or destroy them! Tossing them in the trash ... bad idea!

I need to do some research!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:04:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By wetidlerjr:

Answer the same question from the same person ten different times then talk to me about sensitive.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:34:53 AM EST

Answer the same question from the same person ten different times then talk to me about sensitive.

Excuse me, I think this would be 2 if YOU are counting..... but i consider this a different post so i say 1... but 10 is rediculous.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:02:35 AM EST

Simply don't answer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:09:22 AM EST

Simply don't answer.

As much as this comment will make me sound stupid, I'd have to agree with him... If you don't like answering questions or you dont like someone, then don't.......
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:26:59 AM EST
So, about that gun registration....

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:22:06 AM EST
rcoers,
Now that is funny.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:34:17 AM EST

I'll just mark it up a few hundred and put it in the local classifieds.... that usually works LOL
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:54:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/11/2005 7:57:27 PM EST by PhilAK]
It is true we don't have registration in Indiana, but remember if you are the original purchaser of the weapon your name and the weapon's description are on the 4473.
That form is either in the hands of the dealer who sold it or the ATF if the dealer closed his business.
For safety sake and to CYA I always sell my "extra"weapons via 4473. The way the court system is now you never know. My luck I sell a weapon to what appears to be a "proper" person and the individual goes postal and I end up being charged with some crime and spend my retirement days in Michigan City with buba.
Always cover your ass.
Keep your weapons UN-registered and your powder dry.
Happy Shooting and CHECK YOUR 6
PhilAK
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:27:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By PhilAK:
It is true we don't have registration in Indiana, but remember if you are the original purchaser of the weapon your name and the weapon's description are on the 4473.
That form is either in the hands of the dealer who sold it or the ATF if the dealer closed his business.
For safety sake and to CYA I always sell my "extra"weapons via 4473. The way the court system is now you never know. My luck I sell a weapon to what appears to be a "proper" person and the individual goes postal and I end up being charged with some crime and spend my retirement days in Michigan City with buba.
Always cover your ass.
PhilAK

What about a legal sale to a 'proper' person who then sells it to an 'improper' person? You are still the owner of record, right?

Gunowners, like yourself, need to fight the fear of legally selling weapons to qualified buyers without paperwork. If the antis have their way, all transfers, even a gift to your law abiding spouse, will have to go through the 'system'.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:07:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By PhilAK:
Always cover your ass.
PhilAK

What about a legal sale to a 'proper' person who then sells it to an 'improper' person? You are still the owner of record, right?

Gunowners, like yourself, need to fight the fear of legally selling weapons to qualified buyers without paperwork. If the antis have their way, all transfers, even a gift to your law abiding spouse, will have to go through the 'system'.

I agree completely with what the Commissioner has stated above. If we as firearms owners don't make ourselves heard and understood our "rights" will continue to erode. The squeaky wheel gets the most attention. Continue to "pester" your political "employee's" with clear, concise and properly worded letters and phone calls. I think the Commissioner would agree with me that personally written letters and phone calls are more effective than email. Do not be offensive or display the "Bubba" mentality. This only does more harm and creates animosity on the part of the gov't official.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:00:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By 1jackal:
I think the Commissioner would agree with me that personally written letters and phone calls are more effective than email. Do not be offensive or display the "Bubba" mentality. This only does more harm and creates animosity on the part of the gov't official.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:48:10 AM EST

And to think I was the only one.
Top Top