Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:22:50 AM EDT
Is there a way to prevent batteries from corroding/exploding in my trusty mags? Every time I leave my mag lite "loaded" in my car for any length of time, then try to change the batts out, they're corroded in there! Is there any way to prevent this other than keeping the batts stored outside of the lite???
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont' wait so long.

I keep scorpion lights in my glove boxes and don't have that problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Tactical batteries.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info..never really mixed batts...but I have forgotten about them in there!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#5]
AZ heat is brutal on Maglites stored in vehicles.

I have two in which the batteries became "cemented in". Though they no longer work as a light - they still have other uses.

Basically I just don't keep it in the vehicle anymore.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a mag lite holster for your belt so you don't leave it in the heat!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Happened to mine, I had to hit things with it to loosen the batteries out.   I buy sure-fire's for the light, maglights are just a glow in the dark club.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Ever try taking the ends off the tube and soaking it in a water/baking soda solution to dissolve the corosion like you would on a car battery terminals???

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#9]
AZ_Gun_Nut, do you really miss us folks down here or was it the Maglite topic that got you to post here?

Happy Trails.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
AZ heat is brutal on Maglites stored in vehicles.

I have two in which the batteries became "cemented in". Though they no longer work as a light - they still have other uses.

Basically I just don't keep it in the vehicle anymore.

I've seen many a methampibian use them for dildos....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Two things--

1)  You must never mix batteries in a flashlight.  That means they all must be the same brand and you must not mix partly used batteries with new ones.  If you do, they will corrode and eat the inside of the light.  

2)  Once a flashlight has had corrosion inside of it every set of batteries will corrode it further until eventually you can't get them out and have to pitch the light.  

I'd suggest a new light and new batteries from the same pack each time they are replaced.  

Oh, since I won a Surefire E2e at the last Gunstock, I rarely use my Mag lights any more (Minis and 4-cells).  <shrug>

HUMMMM?

Nope not going there...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ever try taking the ends off the tube and soaking it in a water/baking soda solution to dissolve the corosion like you would on a car battery terminals???

Never thought of that, will keep that in mind!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Less time in the apple muffin container, more time for thinking, bro  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Less time in the apple muffin container, more time for thinking, bro  

Them muffins were damn good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top