Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 12:56:40 PM EDT
Hoping someone from NJ can help me out with some questions I have regarding a potential sale to a NJ resident.

Background: I have an auction where I am selling a Steyr SPP with 3 30 round mags and one 15 round mag.  Gun is registered to me in PA.  

I just received an inquiry from a potential bidder who is from NJ, who wrote  "im in NJ but have a contact in PA for the mags if we cant do a FTF, would $*** cover the package? just waiting on my permits."

First, can I actually sell this to someone in NJ?  Although this gun is not specifically listed, doesn't NJ ban assault firearms such as "Uzi-type semi-auto firearms"?

Am I right in assuming that I cannot do a FTF?  Wouldn't this be an out of state transfer (so I would need to go ship it to an FFL in NJ)?

Also, would there be a problem in shipping the hi-cap mags to his "contact" in PA even though the NJ resident is buying it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
A handgun can only be transferred in your state of residence by an FFL or in a private (FTF) transaction between residents of the same state providing the transfer is not prohibited by state or local law.

Private (FTF) transfer of long guns are only legal between residents of the same state providing the transfer is not prohibited by state or local law. A person can transfer a long gun in person from an FFL in any state as long as their state of residence does not prohibit out of state transfers. It must also be legal in the state the FFL transfer is taking place in.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like the buyer knows that the pistol must go to a dealer in NJ, but wants the mags to go to his PA friend.  I don't see a problem with that.  A NJ resident can own mags greater than 15 rounds.  He just can't possess them in NJ.    But we all know what his intentions are, don't we.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top