Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/12/2010 7:43:17 PM EDT
So i saw on the news that a 26 year old homeowner with his family were driving up to their house and saw two legs hanging out of a window of the house. The man walked up, pulled out a 44 magnum (yes he had a CCW) and fired a shot into the ground. The robber jumped out and was held there by the man until the cops came.

Ive had a CCW for a while now and i was under the impression that if you pull it, you must be in fear of your life and looking to kill someone because of that. Now dont get me wrong, F that burglar and im glad he was caught, but i would "think" that he would have been in a little bit of shit for that.

Like i said, if your on someones property trying to break in, you get what you deserve, but they dont lead you to believe that when you read about the CCW.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:52:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HollowPoint40:
i was under the impression that if you pull it, you must be in fear of your life and looking to kill someone because of that.

police/prosecutorial discretion.... not something I'd do, but it worked for this guy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:52:56 PM EDT
there are no shots fired unless you are aiming at them....shoot to kill every time...
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:59:08 PM EDT
very risky and unsafe. NO WARNING SHOTS.........
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 8:10:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Slug-O:
there are no shots fired unless you are aiming at them....shoot to kill every time...

What Sluggo said!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 10:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2010 3:31:26 PM EDT by mercdank]
I believe with a CWL you are justified in using deadly force to prevent a forcible felony such as rape, robbery, burglary, or kidnapping. I am unsure as to the exact circumstances but I still do agree that if you decide to shoot you should be shooting to kill.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 12:52:37 AM EDT
All "warning shots" should be center mass or head shots.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:09:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bfips:
All "warning shots" should be center mass or head shots.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 6:04:38 AM EDT
Shit, he was on his property, I consider that target shooting. I do it all the time at all hours at my place

Think I'd grabbed the dumb ass by his legs and snatched him out so he fell face flat then asked him: "I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 6:04:40 AM EDT
forcible felony
Burglary is 1 of these. Add to that it's on your property. You have every right to defend it. Now warning shots? Yeah those are not good, & in this case seems to be in favor of the home owner. However a LEO or court could see it different if it was pushed. The best defense is you shot at him & missed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 10:28:54 AM EDT
shoot to STOP not to "kill"

"kill" could be misconstrued as intent
stop means what it says.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 10:32:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 12:33:01 PM EDT
Instructor at my CWL class said absolutely no warning shots... Depending on where you live you can be charged with illegal discharge of a firearm
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 12:57:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CS223:
Shit, he was on his property, I consider that target shooting. I do it all the time at all hours at my place

Think I'd grabbed the dumb ass by his legs and snatched him out so he fell face flat then asked him:"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

LOL, yea that would have worked!

It was a chrome 44, not big into the showy weapons like that, but i kinda liked it.

I dont really disagree with pulling it because it showed the guy he was serious (still not the best thing to do) but the warning shot was a no-go.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 4:35:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HollowPoint40:
Originally Posted By CS223:

Think I'd grabbed the dumb ass by his legs and snatched him out so he fell face flat then asked him:"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

LOL, yea that would have worked!

It was a chrome 44, not big into the showy weapons like that, but i kinda liked it.

I dont really disagree with pulling it because it showed the guy he was serious (still not the best thing to do) but the warning shot was a no-go.

It wasn't a warning shot, it was a miss

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:09:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By exglcmranger:
Instructor at my CWL class said absolutely no warning shots... Depending on where you live you can be charged with illegal discharge of a firearm

I wouldn't take everything said by a CCWL instructor as gospel .
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:38:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Devilman13xx:
shoot to STOP not to "kill"

"kill" could be misconstrued as intent
stop means what it says.

Its not what you say its how you say it
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 9:55:47 PM EDT
should of point blank shot him in foot or knee. wont be coming around again
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 11:07:14 PM EDT
How long ago was this and could the home owner still face some type of charges? just wondering....
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 3:29:44 AM EDT
Well, he was shooting to stop the threat, no?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:18:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2010 7:19:12 AM EDT by Make7upyours728]
here is the news story, the intruder was 16 years old? do you still think he did the right move?

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/crime/041210homeowner-shoots-teen-intruder
Top Top