Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2009 11:48:43 AM EDT
I posted this on the Handgun Discussion forum, and was recommended to move it here for better advice. Hopefully some of you guys can help me out, thanks.

I was on the NRA website today looking at the purchasing and possession laws for both MN and IA, and I thought I'd see if you guys could help me out for those of you from these states or who know the laws well.

I'm basically trying to figure out if it's legal to own a handgun before you are 21. In Minnesota you can, but in Iowa it looks like you can't. It has a couple regulations referring to people either 18-20 or 14-20, and it basically sounded like they could only use a handgun if under parental supervision or while being instructed by a person age 21 or older. Is that the case for Iowa? Is it illegal for someone under the age of 21 to own a handgun? Minnesota says that it is illegal to purchase if under 21, but you can own one.

I then have another question relating to those laws. If I am a resident of Minnesota but go to school in Iowa, having an apartment where I live for 9 months of the year during school, do the Iowa gun laws fully apply to me even though I am not an Iowa resident? As a Minnesota resident, is there any type of reciprocity with these types of laws if I'm still a resident temporarily living in another state?

I appreciate any and all help on this subject
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The only way you could own a handgun in Iowa is if you worked for an issuing agency or had a professional permit to carry issued by the Iowa Department of Public Safety (security, etc).  Residency does not come into play when you are dealing with the criminal code (If you legally own a SBR or machine gun in another state you cannot transport it or possess it in IA).  For example your being a student allows you to be exempt from IA driver's license requirements but that is about it.  Even when you turned 21, you would not be allowed to get a purchase permit in IA unless you were an IA resident.  You cannot possess a handgun in IA until you're 21 and it would have to be one you purchased in your home state.  So in short, don't bring your handgun down here while you're in school until you're 21.  I know it sucks but that's the way it is.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
too true.

i've got tacked thread atop here for just this occasion.  check it out, use the links, and read up on it if you'd like.  i encourage you to know and understand the iowa code.  you're being "ruled" by it, you might as well have knowledge of the rulebook.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top